Sign in to follow this  
Darrel Manson

No more Seattle Supersonics

So, the team previously known as the Sonics are moving to Oklahoma City. Part of the deal that allows this is that the name Sonics stays with Seattle. So what are some good names for the Oklahoma City team?

How about Golddiggers? Barnums?

One that could connect to the teams history (Supersonics) and its new location in OK: Boomers

A foreign movie can't be stupid.

-from the film
Armin

Good riddance. The management have proven they don't care about the team, they only care about what will make them the most money. Seattle basketball has been spectacularly mismanaged for many years, and I can't wait to see them leave. The bad news here is that the "compromise" guarantees they'll be bringing in another team soon, and Seattle taxpayers will have to go on paying for arenas and teams that contribute more to Seattle gloom than the rain does.

I just wish they'd take the Mariners with them when they go.

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

Rustlers? Bandits? Varmints? Fourflushers? Polecats?

They couldn't do a worse job with the team than was done in Seattle. Decisions made at the ownership and GM levels have been beyond stupid in the past few years. I lost my last shred of interest when Paul Allen stole "Mr. Sonics" to coach the Blazers.

We have a homegrown movement in this state that resists public financing for pro sports arenas, and that made it hard to get a local deal done ... not that anyone really tried. Owners have been losing money on the Sonics and blaming it on the shortcomings of the arena. What the Mariners proved in '95, though, was that before you go asking for a new arena, you need to put a decent team in the arena you have.

Can't say I really give a rip about the NBA any more, though ... so I am not shedding any tears.

Let's Carl the whole thing Orff!

Do you know the deep dark secret of the avatars?

It's big. It's fat. It's Greek.

They couldn't do a worse job with the team than was done in Seattle.

2 words: L.A. Clippers.

I think they can retire the trophy for worst management. It already has Donald Sterling's name engraved on many times.

A foreign movie can't be stupid.

-from the film
Armin

Doesn't Oklahoma have more tornadoes per capita than any state in the nation? How about the Oklahoma City Cyclones?

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

How about something having to do with the Dust Bowl? The team moving is kind of like an inverse dust bowl.

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Yeah. The Oklahoma Sdaoj.

That took me a second to get...

They couldn't do a worse job with the team than was done in Seattle.

2 words: L.A. Clippers.

I think they can retire the trophy for worst management. It already has Donald Sterling's name engraved on many times.

Evidence suggests that the new Sonics owner, Clay Bennett, is sensitive to public opinion. He actually said, "I'm not the most popular person in Seattle right now," or words to that effect.

I don't think you'd catch Sterling making a similar admission. Ergo, Bennett has a shot at having a better-managed team than Sterling.

I can't understand why players sign free-agent contracts with the Clippers. What was Baron Davis thinking?

Reportedly the Sonics have settled on a new name: the Oklahoma City Thunder.

It's certainly apropos to name the team after something that is frequently stolen.