Sign in to follow this  
John Drew

The Twilight Zone

The companies (Warner Bros. and DiCaprio's Appian Way) are not seeking to remake an episodic movie, as the only big-screen version of the show did 25 years ago, but rather hope to build one continuing story line based on one or more episodes.

Apparently Warner's owns all of the Rod Serling scripts, and the idea is to expand one or more of these into feature length projects.

Full story here.

Mandalay Productions is already in pre-production on Countdown, which was an episode written by Richard Matheson, based on his short story. The current version has Michael Brandt lined up to write and direct. Brandt was one of the screenwriters for 3:10 to Yuma and Wanted.

I'd personally love to see a film based on the book Outrageous Conduct: Art, Ego and the Twilight Zone Case, which is one of the best books I've read on the backstage dealings of a Hollywood production, and the tragedies that resulted because of them. The trial that arose out of this event was almost as surreal as an episode of The Twilight Zone. Of course if anyone attempted an adaptation, they'd be blacklisted to the far side of the moon.

Interesting. I never heard of that book. Thanks for the recommendation.

By the way, for Twilight Zone fans, they're doing new radio versions of old episodes, available here. Some radio stations also air them online for free; you can find them by doing a Google search for "Twilight Zone Radio." It can be a lot of fun to listen to them this way, and sometimes a quite different experience. I can never watch the original "Nightmare at 20,000 Feet" without cracking up at the monster in the dime-store suit. Listening to an audio version of the story is something else again.

WB, DiCaprio in 'Zone' with Ravich

Warner Bros. and Leonardo DiCaprio's Appian Way are moving ahead on a "Twilight Zone" movie, hiring Rand Ravich to pen a script based on the iconic TV series, which melded fantasy, science-fiction and horror elements. . . .

Ravich's feature credits include directing "The Astronaut's Wife" and exec producing "Confessions of a Dangerous Mind." He also created NBC's detective series "Life." . . .

Variety, July 19

Scribe Enters 'Twilight Zone' For Warner Bros And Leonardo DiCaprio's Appian Way

Jason Rothenberg (The Sparrow) has landed the assignment to write The Twilight Zone, a new feature version of the Rod Serling classic '50s TV series that Warner Bros is developing with Leonardo DiCaprio's Appian Way. Details are scant, but the expectation is they will take some of the original stories written for the series by the likes of Serling and Richard Matheson. . . .

Mike Fleming, Deadline.com, October 20

I really hope that this...

Details are scant, but the expectation is they will take some of the original stories written for the series by the likes of Serling and Richard Matheson.

...doesn't mean that they've decided to go the old anthology route. I hope it means they are looking at this to be a series of films, each one based on a classic TZ story, but expanded to feature length. Which is what the original article from a few years back in post 1 of this thread stated (unfortunately, the link to that story doesn't work anymore).

As I pointed out over at The Outer Limits thread, anthologies simply don't perfom well at the box office. The original Twilight Zone: The Movie from 1981 is still the #1 anthology film of all time, with a whopping $29.1 million box office performance. No anthology has been able to crack the $30 million mark in nearly 30 years.

Nolan, others may be slipping into 'THE TWILIGHT ZONE'

Warner Bros. is clearly bent on transporting its untitled TWILIGHT ZONE pic to a higher dimension, as the studio is focusing on top-tier directors — much as it did in its 1983 version. But unlike that pic, which had four helmers steering separate segments, this project will feature a single storyline and one director. Mutual interest is brewing between WB and at least three individuals: Christopher Nolan, Michael Bay and Alfonso Cuaron, Variety's Justin Kroll exclusively reports. (Insiders also say David Yates was on the short list, though his prospects have waned.) Nolan has emerged as the front-runner to get the offer, and though his close relationship with the studio is well documented, it’s not clear whether he’d take on the project, given its similarities to INCEPTION. There’s also a dark horse in the mix: Rupert Wyatt, whose RISE OF THE PLANET OF THE APES drew rave reviews and more than $400 million worldwide. . . .

Variety, September 30

And now it's Matt "Let Me In" Reeves.

Cool. I'm anxious to see some more stuff from Reeves. At the same time:

a big science fiction action movie with a single freestanding story that is linked to the original series mainly in that it shares that familiarly eerie feel.

That's, um, that's not anything like The Twilight Zone. In some sense, since TZ was an anthology, there shouldn't be a way to make a movie out of it at all (unless it's an adaptation of an episode or a movie about Rod Serling--which, admittedly, could be cool). But "big science fiction action movie" doesn't scream Twilight Zone to me. It's like a version of The Twilight Zone that was actually made in The Twi....

Oh goodness. The movie itself isn't The Twilight Zone--the fact that you're watching it is! Brilliant!

Edited by NBooth

Vulture mentions the movie's set-up in passing.

Warner Bros. is developing The Twilight Zone (based on the venerated Rod Serling sci-fi TV series that also sparked a 1983 film), that until recently was to be directed Matt Reeves (Cloverfield). It follows a test pilot who winds up breaking the speed of light; when he puts down his craft, he discovers that he’s landed a bit late for supper — 96 years late.

--which sounds like a Twilight Zone setup, at any rate.

Edited by NBooth

'Tron' Helmer Joseph Kosinski to Direct 'Twilight Zone' Film (Exclusive)

Joseph Kosinski is about to enter The Twilight Zone. The Tron helmer is in negotiations to direct the big-screen redo of the sci-fi property for Warner Bros.

Leonardo DiCaprio and Jennifer Davisson Killoran are producing via their Appian Way banner, which is based at Warners.

A number of writers have taken a crack at the screenplay, including Anthony Peckham (Sherlock Holmes). The project is now being redeveloped for Kosinski. Plot details are being kept under wraps. . . .

Kosinski most recently directed the Tom Cruise starrer Oblivion for Universal. He is attached to helm a Tron sequel at Disney. . . .

Hollywood Reporter, August 16

How about a story line in which a film producer notices that a different director is showing up on the set every week?

Was watching the annual TZ marathon on Sy-Fy today.  What a springboard for quite a few eventual Academy Award winners, including....

Jack Albertson

Art Carney

James Coburn

Robert Duvall

Ron Howard

Martin Landau

Cloris Leachman

Lee Marvin

Sydney Pollack

Robert Redford

Cliff Robertson

.... plus many others who received eventual nominations.

I wonder if any other shows have spawned this many winners and nominees?

I remember the annual marathon happening on New Year's Eve. Did the station change the marathon's time frame?

Was watching the annual TZ marathon on Sy-Fy today.  What a springboard for quite a few eventual Academy Award winners, including....

Jack Albertson

Art Carney

James Coburn

Robert Duvall

Ron Howard

Martin Landau

Cloris Leachman

Lee Marvin

Sydney Pollack

Robert Redford

Cliff Robertson

.... plus many others who received eventual nominations.

I wonder if any other shows have spawned this many winners and nominees?

Not sure if by springboard you mean first appearance or before they were big names, but I did note on FB awhile back how many big names appeared in early seasons of Law & Order, including

Philip Seymour Hoffman

William H. Macy

Laura Linney

Patricia Clarkson

Frances Conroy

Samuel L. Jackson

Ann Dowd

Michelle Trachtenberg

Jennifer Garner

Rooney Mara

Jessica Chstain

Vera Farmiga

Allison Janney

Andrew McCarthy

J.K. Simmons

Diane Weist

and that's not really even including people who went on to do other television like

Edie Falco

Camryn Manheim

Harold Perrineau

Christine Baranski

James McDaniel

Dominic Chianese

Lewis Black

Maura Tierney

Wendell Pierce

Isaiah Washington

Claire Danes

Juliana Marguiles

Clark Gregg

Amanda Peet

Ellen Pompeo

Sarah Paulson

Hayden Panitierre

Lance Reddick

Lauren Graham

Felicity Huffman 

That's just from Law & Order. SVU had Karen Allen, Mary Steenburgen, Pam Grier, Frank Langella, Jacqueline Bissett, Marlee Matlin, Abigail Breslin, Amanda Seyfried,Angela Lansbury, Marcia Gay Harden, and Elizabeth Banks, among others...but by then it was getting to me more of a celebrity guest star rather than what I think the question intended. 

CBS is rebooting The Twilight Zone as an interactive television-game-thingie:

The new “Twilight Zone” will honor the original series’ approach but will add the twist of letting the viewer “change and adapt the story based on what he or she feels,” the companies said. “As with all other Interlude videos, viewers can return repeatedly and have a different viewing experience each time.”

Trailer for the CBS All-Access show with Jordan Peele.