Junior

Buckeye Jones

The feckless Cincinnati Reds traded Ken Griffey Jr to the Chicago White Sox today for a RHP with a near 4.00 ERA and a minor leaguer second baseman. Its a surprising move--Griff vetoed a trade to the White Sox a few years back--but not a real gutwrencher.

I remember driving home one evening to my condo in West Chester when the radio announcer broke in to say that the Reds had acquired Griffey from the Mariners. We were ecstatic. We bought some tickets, called on friends to come down to Cincy to see Junior play, and knew we were about to see the Big Red Machine Part Deux.

Alas, a few sprained ankles and torn ligaments and 200+ HR later, the BRMPD never fired up its engine, and the Reds fumbled around in losing ways for the better part of the decade. Somewhere in the mix, Junior never meshed with Cincinnati. Sports radio went negative early and has stayed there. He's a contentious fellow--to me, he seemed to be a guy that wanted to do his job and not make a big deal of it. The radio and print guys saw a pampered prima donna who never lived up to his promise.

I don't recall if I ever saw Griffey homer in Cincinnati. I'm sure I did--but that fuzzy memory will be how his stint here turns out. Ten years from now (heck maybe even two years from now) fans will be sitting back and thinking, remember the Kid? I saw him play once--I think.

Now he's back in the AL on a contending team--I hope he wins a ring. I hope he passes Sosa in Chicago in the next week or so. I hope the fans there appreciate seeing a first ballot HOFer back in CF, even if he's a few steps slower, and even if he only puts 15 more over the wall in right center.

Good luck, Junior. I'll understand if you wear blue in Coopersville.

I'm a Junior fan, but in all honesty the Reds are better off without him. He's undoubtedly a Hall of Fame player, but he's at the end of his career, and he's a mediocre hitter at best these days. I'm glad he stuck around to hit #600 in Cincinnati. He won't be hitting #700 anywhere.

And, regardless of his much-deserved reputation as a defensive stalwart, he's simply been a dog in the field of late. Did you see the play Saturday night where he couldn't move 20 feet to catch a routine fly ball? The Reds announcers were all over him, but deservedly so. He's cost the Reds more with his glove this year than he's added with his bat.

And he should wear blue for his Cooperstown ceremony. He had his greatest years in Seattle.

The feckless Cincinnati Reds traded Ken Griffey Jr to the Chicago White Sox today for a RHP with a near 4.00 ERA and a minor leaguer second baseman. Its a surprising move--Griff vetoed a trade to the White Sox a few years back--but not a real gutwrencher.

I remember driving home one evening to my condo in West Chester when the radio announcer broke in to say that the Reds had acquired Griffey from the Mariners. We were ecstatic. We bought some tickets, called on friends to come down to Cincy to see Junior play, and knew we were about to see the Big Red Machine Part Deux.

Alas, a few sprained ankles and torn ligaments and 200+ HR later, the BRMPD never fired up its engine, and the Reds fumbled around in losing ways for the better part of the decade. Somewhere in the mix, Junior never meshed with Cincinnati. Sports radio went negative early and has stayed there. He's a contentious fellow--to me, he seemed to be a guy that wanted to do his job and not make a big deal of it. The radio and print guys saw a pampered prima donna who never lived up to his promise.

I don't recall if I ever saw Griffey homer in Cincinnati. I'm sure I did--but that fuzzy memory will be how his stint here turns out. Ten years from now (heck maybe even two years from now) fans will be sitting back and thinking, remember the Kid? I saw him play once--I think.

Now he's back in the AL on a contending team--I hope he wins a ring. I hope he passes Sosa in Chicago in the next week or so. I hope the fans there appreciate seeing a first ballot HOFer back in CF, even if he's a few steps slower, and even if he only puts 15 more over the wall in right center.

Good luck, Junior. I'll understand if you wear blue in Coopersville.

And, regardless of his much-deserved reputation as a defensive stalwart, he's simply been a dog in the field of late. Did you see the play Saturday night where he couldn't move 20 feet to catch a routine fly ball? The Reds announcers were all over him, but deservedly so. He's cost the Reds more with his glove this year than he's added with his bat.

Which is why he will probably DH for the Sox. You guys in NL cities can watch real baseball, but you forget that you are the only ones that can. Further, I think you are right about not seeing 700. What is it about Chicago that no one hits a lot of dingers there? Both Wrigley Field and Comiskey II are not unfriendly to hitters.

"During the contest trial, the Coleman team presented evidence of a further 6500 absentees that it felt deserved to be included under the process that had produced the prior 933 [submitted by Franken, rk]. The three judges finally defined what constituted a 'legal' absentee ballot. Countable ballots, for instance, had to contain the signature of the voter, complete registration information, and proper witness credentials.

But the panel only applied the standards going forward, severely reducing the universe of additional basentees the Coleman team could hope to have included. In the end, the three judges allowed about 350 additional absentees to be counted. The panel also did nothing about the hundreds, possibly thousands, of absentees that have already been legally included, yet are now 'illegal' according to the panel's own ex-post definition."

The Wall Street Journal editorial, April 18, 2009 concerning the Franken Coleman decision in the Minnesota U.S. Senate race of 2008.

Which is why he will probably DH for the Sox. You guys in NL cities can watch real baseball, but you forget that you are the only ones that can. Further, I think you are right about not seeing 700. What is it about Chicago that no one hits a lot of dingers there? Both Wrigley Field and Comiskey II are not unfriendly to hitters.

700? I agree--there's no way. He'd have to hit 30 for the next three years. I don't see him lasting 3 more years. He's such a case, for Cincinnati, of "if only". If only he'd been healthy. If only management had built a team around him. If only we sought out a strong leader to complement him.

700? I agree--there's no way. He'd have to hit 30 for the next three years. I don't see him lasting 3 more years. He's such a case, for Cincinnati, of "if only". If only he'd been healthy. If only management had built a team around him. If only we sought out a strong leader to complement him.

I don't think that takes anything away from his career. What if Mantle hadn't wrecked his legs in his second year on a drain grate in centerfield, Yankee Stadium? What if Ted Williams hadn't been a Marine pilot in WWII AND the Korean War (John Glenn's wingman, Williams was good)? What if Mays hadn't spent two years in the Army in the 50's? And as to what management failed to do, I forgot that George Sisler played almost his whole career for the St. Louis Browns. Top five career avg. When Ichiro broke his single season hit record, no one knew who he was. Grif has outclassed most of his peers and has not had to defer to anyone on the field in his time.

"During the contest trial, the Coleman team presented evidence of a further 6500 absentees that it felt deserved to be included under the process that had produced the prior 933 [submitted by Franken, rk]. The three judges finally defined what constituted a 'legal' absentee ballot. Countable ballots, for instance, had to contain the signature of the voter, complete registration information, and proper witness credentials.

But the panel only applied the standards going forward, severely reducing the universe of additional basentees the Coleman team could hope to have included. In the end, the three judges allowed about 350 additional absentees to be counted. The panel also did nothing about the hundreds, possibly thousands, of absentees that have already been legally included, yet are now 'illegal' according to the panel's own ex-post definition."

The Wall Street Journal editorial, April 18, 2009 concerning the Franken Coleman decision in the Minnesota U.S. Senate race of 2008.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think that takes anything away from his career. What if Mantle hadn't wrecked his legs in his second year on a drain grate in centerfield, Yankee Stadium? What if Ted Williams hadn't been a Marine pilot in WWII AND the Korean War (John Glenn's wingman, Williams was good)? What if Mays hadn't spent two years in the Army in the 50's? And as to what management failed to do, I forgot that George Sisler played almost his whole career for the St. Louis Browns. Top five career avg. When Ichiro broke his single season hit record, no one knew who he was. Grif has outclassed most of his peers and has not had to defer to anyone on the field in his time.

I wish Junior the best in the Windy City. The Sox have taken a half-game lead on the Twins in the AL Central. If coach Ozzie Guillen doesn't implode before then :lol: , they might just be playing in late October.

Long days and pleasant nights.

"I am Tyler Durden's raging spleen!"