Sign in to follow this  
chillinrev

Violet Burning/Prayer Chain

Have loved these bands for years. Both have made classic alternative albums. The Violet Burning self titled album is immense. The mood, the lyrics, the music is amazing. They have made other great albums but none comes close to this. The Prayer Chain's Mercury, another classic. Intense and moody music, again with incredible lyrics. The link? A certain guitarist called Andrew Prickett played on both releases. It is the sounds he gets from his guitar that makes these albums so special. Anyone else fans of these albums, and Prickett as guitarist? Has he played anything as good since with CUSH or any other band?

I think it's safe to say that there are fans of both bands here on A&F.

Here's a link to an older thread discussing the Violet Burning.

The Prayer Chain has posted Humb -- the original version of their final album, Mercury, which was rejected by their label -- to their Bandcamp site (along with a bunch of other recordings, including their self-financed debut). And I've just posted a review of Humb on my site.

I can see why the label rejected the album -- it's dark, turbulent, and often weird, with cryptic lyrics about sin, hopelessness -- and sexual pleasure. And parts of the album haven't help up too well over the years. But there are moments that are simply brilliant, especially when the band got all psych-y and atmospheric a la The Verve. It would've been really interesting to see what would've happened had the band continued down this path.

Edited by opus

See, I know that The Violet Burning's S/T and The Prayer Chain's Mercury are so often compared to each other, but I love the S/T and I don't care that much for Mercury. Another interesting similarity between the two; both were produced by Steve Hindalong.

Huge fan of both albums, but I agree that Pritzl's self-titled holds up better over time.

Years ago I used to see these guys every once in a while. Had the chance to take the stage after or before them in four countries I can think of... I remember Andy telling BoH one time that'd he'd tried to model something he was doing after a part BoH created for one of our tunes. It's one of those comments that's stood out over the years. When you get a compliment from one of your heros, well, you know how pride likes to puff you up.

And yes, one thing I've noticed, both way back then and now, is that it seems anything Hindalong chooses to produce is always BETTER because of his presence on it.

I actually don't know which TVB album I like more, the S/T or Demonstrates Plastic And Elastic. I do think that S/T sounds more unique.

I saw The Violet Burning last Sunday. Their new music is heavier (which distracted from Pritzl's vocals). The only songs they played that weren't on The Story of our Lives was "Gorgeous" and "Dreadful".

314650_10150859263495192_559200191_21673592_350314398_n.jpg

I was digging through some old stuff the other day and found (among many surprising and poignant items) a large collection of True Tunes News mags...including the one with TPC on the cover.

While I rarely listen to much from that era of my taste, Mercury is one of the very, very few that I actually go back to. In hindsight, the wandering, epic 'Sky High' is a standout. Also, 'Bendy Line' is just really cool.

Other albums from my days in that alternative christian music ghetto that, for whatever reason, bear the weight of time and still occasionally get played:

- Springchamber (both ),

- a few of Mike Knott's discs (Cash in Chaos sounds awfully good),

- early OTR (duh)

- Psalmus, from Jeff Johnson

- Adam Again best-of: hit-and-miss but, man...they had some good ones

- Daniel Amos: Songs of the Heart

Yes. I was listening to that the other week. "Pound of Flesh" is especially good, IMO.

- Daniel Amos: Songs of the Heart

I have a tonne of Michael Knott albums...most of which I haven't touched in at least a year. I think my favourite CD he's done (besides Cush) is Comatose Soul.

My favourite Daniel Amos song is "Evangeline".

If anyone wants to take a couple Michael Knott/LSU CDs off my hands, they're yours for the asking... I'll have to go double-check which they are, but Knott is *very* hit-or-miss for me.

But I'm curious as to the Humb album; it looks like a couple of those 'new' tracks were on the Antarctica disc that Brainstorm put out after the Prayer Chain was no more...