Sign in to follow this  
MattP

College Football 2008

Might as well get this started, considering we're only 3 weeks and 2 hours away from the first day of the season. My very first issue of my 8 week free trial of Sports Illustrated came today (thank you Papa Johns online pizza ordering system), and - glory of glories - it's the College Football Preview addition. And if they're right, once again we'll see Ohio State pop its head up meekly in the National Championship game, only to be soundly beaten back down in an everlasting game of BCS Whack-a-Mole by the third SEC team in as many years (Georgia).

My beloved Crimson Tide just barely didn't make the (top 25) list, and will likely not improve much on last year's record, but at least I can console myself with the fact that there are plenty of talented freshmen on campus from last year's stellar recruiting class. Is it 2010 yet? For better or worse I'll get a pretty good lay of the land opening weekend when they play Clemson in an intra-league matchup. August is always the longest month of the year...

I've read where someone has Michigan ranked 24th? This is the first I've heard that anyone outside of Schembechler Hall is expecting something of a winning season.....

Might as well get this started, considering we're only 3 weeks and 2 hours away from the first day of the season. My very first issue of my 8 week free trial of Sports Illustrated came today (thank you Papa Johns online pizza ordering system), and - glory of glories - it's the College Football Preview addition. And if they're right, once again we'll see Ohio State pop its head up meekly in the National Championship game, only to be soundly beaten back down in an everlasting game of BCS Whack-a-Mole by the third SEC team in as many years (Georgia).

My prediction? SEC won't be sending a title game participant this year.

I'll edit this to add a little more fuel to the fire. While I don't expect App State to repeat its upset over a Div 1 top ten team again, I don't think the Tigers or Dawgs make it through the reg season unscathed. Florida is the only SEC team playing a legit non-conf opponent.

Maybe you'll see the Gators have a chance at returning, but I think they get tripped up by at least one non-conf game plus I don't see them running the table in the east.

So, my guess is Ohio State vs. Missouri in the championship. Don't get me wrong, I think we've got our toughest team in the last three years out there--and I'd love to see the Bucks start chipping away at the SEC deficit, but I don't think any of the Snobeastern Conf makes it to the mainstage this year.

Sept 13 will tells how good these Buckeyes are. Game of the season right there.

Edited by Buckeye Jones

My beloved Crimson Tide just barely didn't make the (top 25) list, and will likely not improve much on last year's record, but at least I can console myself with the fact that there are plenty of talented freshmen on campus from last year's stellar recruiting class. Is it 2010 yet? For better or worse I'll get a pretty good lay of the land opening weekend when they play Clemson in an intra-league matchup. August is always the longest month of the year...

I agree. The SEC, and particularly the SEC East, is so brutal that the teams will take turns knocking one another off all season long. And 9 - 3 isn't going to get anyone to a BCS championship game. And I'm just not sold on Georgia's Matt Stafford as an elite quarterback.

The Buckeyes will be there. Whether they should be there is another question. But they'll be 11 - 1, maybe 12 - 0 if they can escape USC in L.A., and that will be good enough. They'll be better than they were last year, when they were the annual SEC whipping boy in the championship game. We'll have to see whether that's good enough to put them over the top. But what the heck, I'm an eternal optimist, at least in August. I'll take OSU over Missouri in the championship game in the least-watched, least-hyped title game ever.

Edit: I just noticed that Buckeye is predicting Missouri in the title game as well. Great minds, and all that. Except for politics. :-)

Edited by Andy Whitman

Edit: I just noticed that Buckeye is predicting Missouri in the title game as well. Great minds, and all that. Except for politics. :-)

Hey now, I'll never again make the mistake of voting for Hillary.

I'll edit this to add a little more fuel to the fire. While I don't expect App State to repeat its upset over a Div 1 top ten team again, I don't think the Tigers or Dawgs make it through the reg season unscathed. Florida is the only SEC team playing a legit non-conf opponent.

Not sure what you mean by this. Bama plays Clemson, Auburn plays West Virginia, Arkansas plays Texas, (all top 10 teams), Tennessee plays UCLA, Georgia plays Arizona State...

Maybe you'll see the Gators have a chance at returning, but I think they get tripped up by at least one non-conf game plus I don't see them running the table in the east.

So, my guess is Ohio State vs. Missouri in the championship. Don't get me wrong, I think we've got our toughest team in the last three years out there--and I'd love to see the Bucks start chipping away at the SEC deficit, but I don't think any of the Snobeastern Conf makes it to the mainstage this year.

Sept 13 will tells how good these Buckeyes are. Game of the season right there.

That's the rub, from an SEC fan's point of view. Yes, that game will be a good one, but on Sept 14, we can all basically punch either Ohio State or USC's ticket to the championship game. Neither team really has much in the way of stumbling blocks past that. Other conferences' fans like to talk about non-conference schedules, but I don't really care whether a team plays hard games in conference or out of conference. I just want a team to have to prove themselves more than once before they're considered a title contender. It's frustrating when a team like last year's Kansas almost walked into a championship game by going undefeated in a schedule that a dozen different teams could have done just as well with.

The good news/bad news for SEC teams is that the last couple of seasons have given the conference the benefit of the doubt in most people's (voters) minds. Final records being equal, expect the SEC team to get the nod if it comes down to a 3 (or more) way tie at the top.

The Big East coronation of WVU got a little easier today. NCAA confirmed that Cincinnati's Ben Mauk has exhausted his eligibility. Mauk owns the single season records for touchdowns for UC and led the Bearcats to a 10-3 record and an AP ranking of 17 last year.

Bearcats lost a squeaker last year to Slaton and White's Mountaineers. Bet it won't be close this year.

The Big East coronation of WVU got a little easier today. NCAA confirmed that Cincinnati's Ben Mauk has exhausted his eligibility. Mauk owns the single season records for touchdowns for UC and led the Bearcats to a 10-3 record and an AP ranking of 17 last year.

Bearcats lost a squeaker last year to Slaton and White's Mountaineers. Bet it won't be close this year.

Missouri in the title game? I like it! I like it!! B)

For better or worse I'll get a pretty good lay of the land opening weekend when they play Clemson in an intra-league matchup.

:elephant:

This is a funny way to begin the college football season.

Duke officials were a bit surprised when, at 6 p.m. Saturday, about an hour before the scheduled kickoff of their game against James Madison, two men parachuted into Wallace Wade Stadium and landed with a game ball.Problem was, the Blue Devils -- who were warming up on the field along with their guests from Virginia -- weren't expecting it.

"All we know is, they must have missed their jump site," a team official said.

And they did -- because the jump site was meant to be about eight miles away.

North Carolina was scheduled to receive the game ball for its contest against McNeese State via an aerial team at about that time in Chapel Hill.

I guess that from the air, one football stadium looks like any other. As the article states, it's good that nobody got hurt (or that the Duke game had already begun)

Upset of the Week prediction: UC over Oklahoma, 24-17.

You read it here first.

I'm going to miss it though, stuck in traffic on Olentangy River Road trying to find my way south after watching next year's Heisman Winner run up and down and gunsling his way past the Bobcats.

Upset of the Week prediction: UC over Oklahoma, 24-17.

You read it here first.

I'm going to miss it though, stuck in traffic on Olentangy River Road trying to find my way south after watching next year's Heisman Winner run up and down and gunsling his way past the Bobcats.

I have divided loyalties here. OU was the undergrad stomping grounds, OSU the grad school stomping grounds. It won't be close, although I secretly hope that the Bobcats can give the Buckeyes a game for a quarter or two.

I'll miss the game. I'll be moving my daughter into her dorm room in Athens. Where is the Bobcat love, I ask you? I still think Athens is a far better place than Columbus to hang out between the ages of 18 and 22. But then you either have to move or work at Taco Bell.

They didn't win. But given Ohio University's sacrificial lamb status yesterday in Ohio Stadium, they performed mighty well. They were supposed to roll over and lose, oh, say 56 - 3, as any Ohio State fan will tell you. Instead, the Bobcats led through much of the game before succumbing 26 - 14.

I have divided loyalties. I graduated from both schools, and I would have been happy and unhappy either way. I missed the game because Kate and I were moving our daughter Rachel into her dorm room at Ohio University in Athens, Ohio. Yes, Rachel is a second-generation Bobcat. It was kind of refreshing to wander around that quintessential college down and realize that precious few people knew or cared that their football team was playing a game. This is because people in Athens have lives that revolve around other things than college sports.

I did catch the last few minutes on the radio on the drive home. My favorite memory? The Ohio State fans engaged in their normal first grade spelling bee. "O-H," one side of the stadium chanted. "I-O" the other side answered back. "U-u-u-u-u" the Bobcat faithful responded in turn. It was a great moment. I was proud of all those unemployed journalism majors.

All the "U" people were sitting behind me. It was almost as annoying as the grad student yelling, "Go wide! Go wide!" on every running play the Bucks ran.

Without Beanie, tonight's game is gonna be tough. With Boeckman, tonight's game is gonna be tough.

Without Beanie, tonight's game is gonna be tough. With Boeckman, tonight's game is gonna be tough.

Uhh, should have used "ugly" instead of "tough". What an embarrassment.

Uhh, should have used "ugly" instead of "tough". What an embarrassment.

If it was ever possible for a preseason top 5 team to be knocked out of the national championship race after only a single loss, on the road, against the #1 team in the country, this is it. It may be a new season officially, but OSU's performances the last 2 years have pretty much assured that no one will vote them in this year unless they absolutely have to. FWIW, I didn't catch the game live, but skimmed through most of it last night knowing who won of course. I only watched until half time (at which point it was pretty much out of reach), but it didn't look near as bad as I expected. OSU was a holding call away from being down 14-10 with just a few minutes to play in the half. If I've ever seen a team kill itself by making mistakes at EXACTLY the wrong times, this was it.

My only consolation is that it was the #1 team beating up on the #5 team, not the Div 1AA team beating up on the #5 team.

And so the upsets of 2007 continue this season. Wow! #1, #3, #4, #9 all fall this week. Watch the Buckeyes make it back to the national championship again. :|

Oh Come ON! You can actually mention the Big Ten battle lost in the post above! No thoughts on The Great Epithet Up North's stirring comeback against Wisconsin? Ahhh. First bottle of bubbly in over a month.

Michigan has been an odd duck this season. Clearly a second half team (if I remember, WVA was always better in the second half too) with little offense to take advantage, the defense needed to score in this one. They did. Your take on last night is that the rubes will be back in the hunt down the road. Certainly. We made it easier for you. Wiskie/Rubes is still the key matchup this season.

Oh, this is a little late I know, but enough about life without Beanie. Welcome to the club. We were often Hartless for almost three years.

Edited by Rich Kennedy

Oh my.

You know how every game - especially the big ones - you secretly, somewhere in the back of your mind, think to yourself: "Wouldn't it be great if we just went in there and just stomped them..." But you know it isn't gonna happen, at least not in your team's favor?

Life as an Alabama fan has given me two of those "dream come true" games in the first month of the season. First, the dismantling of top 10 Clemson in the opener, then last night's black-clad funderal in Athens. Has a team ever gone from unranked to #1 in the course of a single month? It's unlikely, but a possibility when today's coaches poll comes out.

I normally like my teams playing as the underdog, but I'm just trying to enjoy this one right now for however long it lasts, knowing that it may not be more than 6 days. And I'll go ahead and say it. Why not Bama as #1? If the inherent bias of preseason prognostications were left out of it, and you were putting together a top 25 based purely on on-the-field results, is there a team with a better claim to the top spot than Bama?

It probably won't happen, because (at least with OU, and maybe 1 or 2 others) they'll think "OU hasn't done anything wrong and doesn't deserve to be jumped." I personally hate this line of reasoning. It severely overvalues the shot-in-the-dark guesses that are the preseason polls. I know it'll never happen, but I'd love to see all the polls (that count) wait until a month into the season to come out. It'd at least give a single chance, after some meaningful games have been played, for voters to have to sit down and evaluate the actual resume of each of the teams they're voting for, instead of going from week to week merely re-shuffling whatever ballot they came up with in August ("They won? Move 'em up a few spots. They lost? Move 'em down a few.")

Oh, and give Nick Saban a raise.

So it's the halfway point, and let me start by just saying: Roll Tide. Is it 2010 already? Because that's when I was expecting this...

On to the fun part. Here's a challenge for you. Take this week's AP top 11 (with specific attention to the Big 12 teams):

1) Texas

2) Alabama

3) Penn St.

4) Oklahoma

5) Florida

6) USC

7) Texas Tech

8) Oklahoma St.

9) BYU

10) Georgia

11) Missouri

Now let's assume that Missouri beats Texas this Saturday, and that Oklahoma and Oklahoma St both win as well. If you're an AP voter, what order do you put the Big 12 teams in? To simplify it slightly, don't even worry about undefeated Texas Tech. Just try to rank UT, OU, OSU, and MU.

- They would all have one loss.

- OSU just beat MU, so they should be ahead of them

- MU would've just beaten UT, so they should be ahead of them

- UT just beat OU, so they should be ahead of them

So the "logical" order goes:

1) OSU

2) MU

3) UT

4) OU

Somehow I don't see the voters putting OU fourth out of those teams. So somebody, somewhere - possibly more than one team - would probably find themselves sitting behind the team they just beat within the last week.

I'm pulling for MU just to see the fallout...

Unlike my previous Big 12 prediction, I don't think I'll miss this one: Texas sends Mizzou to its second consecutive defeat.

Penn State-Florida for the national championship. My heart sinks for my Bucks over the next two weeks.

Way to go PSU. Now I hope you lose to MSU too so the Bucks can go to the Rose Bowl.

Tech vs. Florida for the National Championship.

Way to go PSU. Now I hope you lose to MSU too so the Bucks can go to the Rose Bowl.

Tech vs. Florida for the National Championship.

The BCS is such a mess. Because Texas Tech is going to lose to Oklahoma, and Alabama is going to lose to Florida in the SEC championship game, and the undefeated teams will be Utah, Boise State, and Ball State, none of whom will make it to the championship game. We'll have eight one-loss teams, each clamoring to be in the championships game. Six of them will be sorely disappointed, not to mention all the outraged Utah, Boise State, and Ball State fans who will claim that it's just plain wrong and discriminatory that their undefeated teams are bypassed in favor of one-loss teams from the glamor conferences.

Barack Obama has stated that he is in favor of a college football playoff. If he accomplishes this, he will be the greatest president in U.S. history.