Sign in to follow this  
MattP

College Football 2008

It all sounds so familiar to me. Michigan fans know this sort of thing intimately from the many battles played out in East Lansing. Sooo familiar.

Since I had erased the game already, I had to grab this from a screenshot of a streaming highlights video on the Fox Sports website, so the quality's pretty bad. I don't remember the broadcast well enough to even remember if they showed this angle during the broadcast or not to be honest. I agree that the two refs did a really bad job of initially spotting him down in two different places, but it looks like in the end they got it right to me.

texas.gif

That looks like "you suck at photoshop" to me.

::pokerface::

::doh::

Ha ha! Denial is a truly powerful thing I guess.

Here's a link to the same video I grabbed that screenshot from. (By the way, it took me way longer to create this fake computer generated highlight video and hack it onto Fox's site than it did to photoshop that picture, so I hope you enjoy it. :lol: )

That looks like "you suck at photoshop" to me.

::pokerface::

::doh::

Ha ha! Denial is a truly powerful thing I guess.

Here's a link to the same video I grabbed that screenshot from. (By the way, it took me way longer to create this fake computer generated highlight video and hack it onto Fox's site than it did to photoshop that picture, so I hope you enjoy it. :lol: )

I watched it again, this time from the same Fox video that you referenced. And when the announcer says, "Take a look, it appears to be a good call," I think what he meant to say was "Take a look at a blown call that cost the Buckeyes the game." Seriously, that's a terrible call. That receiver did not cross the 40 yard line.

Look at that still I posted. His knees are right at the 40. The rest of his body is leaning forward. Look at the first down marker on the sideline behind him. I'm not sure where the argument that he didn't reach the 40 is coming from.

Look at that still I posted. His knees are right at the 40. The rest of his body is leaning forward. Look at the first down marker on the sideline behind him. I'm not sure where the argument that he didn't reach the 40 is coming from.

Please note that the first down marker is about a foot to the left of the forty yard line. The guy holding the first down marker is leaning to the right. Therefore, if you look at the top of the first down marker, it appears that the ball is across the first down marker. However, if you look at the base of the first down marker (which is the point where the first down is measured), the ball has not crossed the plane marking a new first down. The receiver's feet, obviously, have not only not crossed that plane, but they haven't crossed the forty yard line. Yes, this is picky, but by such inches games are won and lost.

Conclusion: no first down. Buckeyes take over on downs, and in all likelihood win the game.

Please note that the first down marker is about a foot to the left of the forty yard line. The guy holding the first down marker is leaning to the right. Therefore, if you look at the top of the first down marker, it appears that the ball is across the first down marker. However, if you look at the base of the first down marker (which is the point where the first down is measured), the ball has not crossed the plane marking a new first down. The receiver's feet, obviously, have not only not crossed that plane, but they haven't crossed the forty yard line. Yes, this is picky, but by such inches games are won and lost.

Conclusion: no first down. Buckeyes take over on downs, and in all likelihood win the game.

Before the argument was that he didn't even reach the 40. You seem to be - ahem - moving the goalposts. In the end, the goalpost in that shot doesn't REALLY matter anyway, because weren't the chains actually on the other side of the field? I believe opposite side marker's basically just "eyeballed" by the official holding it. So the question is really did they spot the ball in the proper place compared to where the forward progress stopped.

At least there's no controversy surrounding the Alabama beatdown.

:hypnodisk: :hypnodisk: That isn't the game you're looking for... :hypnodisk: :hypnodisk:

:lol:

It appears to have been a first down, but by the slightest of margins:

fiesta.jpg

That's a great shot, thwackum. Should put the issue to rest for all but the most sweater-vested fans.

Edited by popechild

A pretty good game to end the season, at least if you're a fan of defense. Tebow's got to be the most overexposed, overhyped college football player ever, but darn if he doesn't just find a way to get it done.

Then he ain't overhyped. Part of the "hype" about him has been just your admission and that he is ultimately unstoppable. Surely high praise for a quarterback. Sorry, but we MK's have to stick up for each other. B)

Then he ain't overhyped. Part of the "hype" about him has been just your admission and that he is ultimately unstoppable. Surely high praise for a quarterback. Sorry, but we MK's have to stick up for each other. B)

Sure, I just mean in the nauseating frequency of it, not "over" in the sense that it's undeserved. Kind of like USC and their defense. Yes, they're very good, I agree, but please shut up about it already. Know what I mean?

Sure, I just mean in the nauseating frequency of it, not "over" in the sense that it's undeserved. Kind of like USC and their defense. Yes, they're very good, I agree, but please shut up about it already. Know what I mean?

A local sports blogger found these two items in the final stats:

Tim Tebow: 19/26 attempts 76 yd rushing 2 TD 1 INT 1 Cure for Cancer 50 Gallons Water:Wine

1 Cure for Cancer 50 Gallons Water:Wine

Good MK stats, though you'll never get an MK to own up to them if so credited.

Edited by Rich Kennedy