Sign in to follow this  
Guest Russell Lucas

South Park

Guest Russell Lucas

So, anyone here see the South Park episode which aired this week? I wish V.Morton was hanging around a bit-- I know he's a fan of the show. I'll keep an eye on his blog.

So, anyone here see the South Park episode which aired this week?  I wish V.Morton was hanging around a bit-- I know he's a fan of the show.  I'll keep an eye on his blog.

I saw it. Not a very good episode by South Park standards.

The whole plot boiled down to the differing reactions from three different groups who saw the movie. Kyle, who is Jewish, is so affected by the movie that he tells his temple congregation that they should apologize for the death of Jesus. Cartman starts worshiping Mel Gibson and leads a Hitler-like revolution against the Jews. Stan and Kenny go to Mel Gibson to try and get their money back cause they hated the film.

It ends with all three groups meeting at the South Park movie theater. Gibson goes crazy - there are over-the-top allusions to the fact that he can take any kind of pain throughout the episode - and while chasing Stan and Kenny drives a tractor trailer into the movie theater, blowing it up. The Jews and the semi-Nazi's (who appear to be "brainwashed" Christians and, as always, have no clues to what is really going on :roll:) nearly get into it, until they see how insane Mel Gibson is. The episode ends with Stan telling everyone that Mel Gibson's crazy and that we should live our lives on the teachings of Jesus, not just his death.

The episode was pretty shaky at best, and the end was more incoherent than most South Park's I've seen.

Guest Russell Lucas

So, anyone here see the South Park episode which aired this week? I wish V.Morton was hanging around a bit-- I know he's a fan of the show. I'll keep an eye on his blog.

I saw it. Not a very good episode by South Park standards.

The whole plot boiled down to the differing reactions from three different groups who saw the movie. Kyle, who is Jewish, is so affected by the movie that he tells his temple congregation that they should apologize for the death of Jesus. Cartman starts worshiping Mel Gibson and leads a Hitler-like revolution against the Jews. Stan and Kenny go to Mel Gibson to try and get their money back cause they hated the film.

It ends with all three groups meeting at the South Park movie theater. Gibson goes crazy - there are over-the-top allusions to the fact that he can take any kind of pain throughout the episode - and while chasing Stan and Kenny drives a tractor trailer into the movie theater, blowing it up. The Jews and the semi-Nazi's (who appear to be "brainwashed" Christians and, as always, have no clues to what is really going on :roll:) nearly get into it, until they see how insane Mel Gibson is. The episode ends with Stan telling everyone that Mel Gibson's crazy and that we should live our lives on the teachings of Jesus, not just his death.

The episode was pretty shaky at best, and the end was more incoherent than most South Park's I've seen.

I dunno. Like many of their more "didactic" episodes, the creators' POV comes in Stan's brief monologue at the end wherein he urges people to look to Jesus' words for inspiration rather than the circumstances of his death. That doesn't necessarily have to be the position of the secularists who'd turn Him into a Gandhi-figure. It's also fair to say that Cartman's position is justly ridiculed-- his reading of the film is his own, and he's not a misguided anti-semitic Christian, but a misguided anti-semitic idolater. The Christians who follow him are made out to be sheep, but certainly not malevolent anti-semites. Their intentions are good. And the Jewish folks don't come off terribly well at certain points, either. Gibson is actually the one who is skewered the worst.

I laughed a lot at the Mormon episode, but it was pretty clear to me that the guys were saying that Mormon history might look illogical and bizarre, but it produces families with admirable kindness and closeness.

Guest Russell Lucas

:alient :alient :bat_angel: :spidereekA: :spidereekA: :lsduel: :mfight: :mfight: :afro: :afro: :sun_smiley: :silly: :overlord: :ukliam3: :ukliam2: :ukliam2: :worry: :lsduel: :heartrain: :jazzband: :jazzband: :largerockband:

(Beg indulgence. My daughter was looking over my shoulder and had questions about what I was typing, and one thing led to another led to a desired opportunity to play around with smilies.)

I dunno. Like many of their more "didactic" episodes, the creators' POV comes in Stan's brief monologue at the end wherein he urges people to look to Jesus' words for inspiration rather than the circumstances of his death. That doesn't necessarily have to be the position of the secularists who'd turn Him into a Gandhi-figure.

I guess the reason I'm disappointed in that ending is that it seems like such a cop out compared to several other controversial episodes. Most of the time Matt and Trey will come up with their own unique viewpoint on the situation (even if I don't agree with it - I respect it because they clearly came up with something unique or insightful), and I felt that all they did this time was tack on the "Oh, Jesus also lived!" It never felt like a satisfying conclusion to me.

It's also fair to say that Cartman's position is justly ridiculed-- his reading of the film is his own, and he's not a misguided anti-semitic Christian, but a misguided anti-semitic idolater.

My position about Cartman has always been that he uses anything around him to justify his own viewpoints. He's never liked Jews, so a movie that could be interpreted in that way fits his own twisted views. In addition to that, he has a tendency to worship things that come into his ideological viewpoint in the same way. This was similar to the episode where he makes a bet against Stan that he can get a platnum album before Stan could. In order to fulfill that promise, he goes into Christian music. He doesn't do it as an act of serving Christ, but for his own selfish gain. (Of course, he ends up getting a myrrh album - the Christian equavalent of platnum - and tells the crowd off, resulting in a beatdown.)

The Christians who follow him are made out to be sheep, but certainly not malevolent anti-semites. Their intentions are good. And the Jewish folks don't come off terribly well at certain points, either.

Another interesting South Park mentality - clueless mobs equal bad, bad things happening. Bigger, Longer, and Uncut was one of the better examples of that.

Gibson is actually the one who is skewered the worst.

That's for sure.

I laughed a lot at the Mormon episode, but it was pretty clear to me that the guys were saying that Mormon history might look illogical and bizarre, but it produces families with admirable kindness and closeness.

That's why I like South Park. In the most bizzare way, they can look at both sides of the issue. But I thought this time they ran into a corner and took the easiest way out.

Surprise - it's the best rated South Park ever.

From IMDB's Studio Briefing:

Mel Gibson's The Passion of the Christ may have been a stupendous success at the box office, but 4.4 million viewers -- equally stupendous by cable TV standards -- tuned in to watch last week's episode of South Park, titled "The Passion of the Jew." It was the highest ratings the Comedy Central show has received since 1998 and was the top-rated cable telecast last Wednesday in the 18-49-year-old demo.

Better than Mecha Streisand? Don't think so. smile.gif

I felt it did pretty good into the final two minutes or so. Though someone pointed out to me that Mel Gibson's final act towards Cartman could be read as Gibson reject Cartman's interpretation.

South Park = satiric brilliance

I wish I had seen this so I could discuss it, but I didn't. I play catch up on dvds when they come out.

So, um, if anybody want to talk about the first three seasons or select episodes thereafter...

Last night's episode poked at the recent movie You Got Served. From what I've heard, the episode followed the movie's, ah, storyline pretty closely.

Not bad overall. We find out that Butters was once a world class tap dancer at one point. Until his shoe slipped off during a performance, hit a light tree, and killed 8 people.

Bumping a very old thread. Did anyone see the latest episode of this show? I've always admired this show, even if I've not always had the time to watch it. I've kept up with the goings-on but after this last episode aired, one of my best friends called me and told me to track it down ASAP. I don't want to ruin anything for anyone, but it is quite the monster of an episode. Despite claims to the contrary, people are wondering if this was an unofficial series finale or a reflection of the creator's current dissatisfaction with their current predicament. Either way, the final minutes of this episode were some of the more subtle and shocking I've ever seen. Very impressive stuff.

Got to ask if you're referring to the episode where Stan's parents divorce at the end? I hadn't watched the show in quite awhile. If this is the episode you're referring to, then I have to agree that the final moments had an honesty that really rang true, and I've been thinking about it quite a bit in the last few weeks.

Got to ask if you're referring to the episode where Stan's parents divorce at the end? I hadn't watched the show in quite awhile. If this is the episode you're referring to, then I have to agree that the final moments had an honesty that really rang true, and I've been thinking about it quite a bit in the last few weeks.

Yeah, that's the one. Just the culmination of everything there at the end was great. I think the AV Club's analysis was spot on. There was just so much going on in that episode. It was positively meta. I hadn't seen but a few episodes since I'd gotten out of college, I might need to go back and watch at least the first part of this season.

AV Club review: http://www.avclub.com/articles/youre-getting-old,57155/

Anyone catch the season 15 finale, "The Poor Kid," last night?

Like many of the episodes in recent seasons it basically had three gags that they just kept doing over and over.

1. The child services guy making jokes about Penn State.

2. Cartman making "Yo Mamma So Poor" jokes.

3. And, the militantly agnostic (which immediately is an hilarious concept) foster parents.

Personally, I found each of those to be very funny. So it was a great episode for me. I'll be honest, at times I've grown a little frustrated over the last few seasons with some of the dud episodes they've served us. I can't imagine how great their episodes would be if they spent more than six days on each one. However, one of the appeals of South Park has always been that it isn't like other animated shows. They used extremely sophisticated animation computers and intentionally make kind of crappy-looking animation with them. So, I understand that's like their thing.

Anyway, I enjoyed the finale but I can't decide if the overall quality of season 15 is better, worse, or on par with seasons 11-14. I guess the reruns will tell.

I only just caught up with "1%." I'll get to the last two episodes of the season soon.

I think this season has been funny, and more consistently so than past seasons, but I don't know that it's given us an episode that I would hold up as an all-time great.

I thought whatever argument they were going for got muddled by the end, but the shift to serialized storytelling was interesting.