Sign in to follow this  
Darrel Manson

Games of the XXIX Olympiad

I had more fun the first week of the Olympics because (a I had the company of my brother & sister-in-law, and (b we were watching both Canadian (CBC) and USA coverage, which gave a completely different perspective to some sports.

Edited by BethR

How did you get the CBC?

I actually got to watch the diving final (with our own dubiously young athlete finishing 7th) although I missed the Aussie's jump and had no idea over the scoring.

Just a thought on the child athletes thing having read and agreed with Rich's post. Am I right in thinking that this is the first Olympics that the US haven't won overall? I've not had the chance to observe the coverage in the US, but from the little I've seen over here, there's been relatively little said over the very young athletes. Whilst it sounds like it's right that there should be some concerns over the issue might part of the reason it's been so high profile over there be some sort of justification by the commentators as to why the US hasn't won overall this time? Just a thought (and one I'll probably regret). I know we Brits make excuses all the time.

Oh, and we're really celebrating here over finishing fourth. Shame to be pipped by the Russians, but given their far superior number of silvers and bronzes more than justified. But fourth? Us? Beating both the Germans and the Australians? We were hoping for eighth! Bring on 2012!

Oh, and actually speaking of that, there's been some comments about how London is not going to attempt to outdo Beijing in terms of spectacle, but trying to move the Olympics in a more sustainable direction. Anyone got any thoughts on that?

Matt

The only saving grace for the London preview was having Jimmy Page and Leona Lewis do "Whole Lotta Love"

All London needs to do for their opening ceremonies is get the surviving members of Led Zeppelin together for another reunion concert. Pretty simple, really. ::largerockband::

Edited by Crow

May as well tag Paralympics on to this thread. In Wheelchair Rugby (aka Murderball) the US took gold, Australia took silver, Canada took bronze.

RugbyPodium_FrankPolich.jpg