Sign in to follow this  
CrimsonLine

The Amazing Race 13

I commented in the Amazing Race 12 thread that we should start an Amazing Race 13 thread. And so...

One thing I wish there was is a good TAR Facebook application - one that allows you to track teams and locations and stuff.

I saw a couple of apps on FB, but neither one looked like what I wanted.

Meet the cast of The Amazing Race 13!

Amazing Race Cast - CBS.com

Amazing Racers Ready to Roll - E! Online

The Associated Press: Meet the new teams on 'The Amazing Race'

From the E! article:

Here's a look at the teams:

* Terence Gerchberg, running coach, 35; Sarah Leshner, investment analyst, 31 (newly dating)

* Marisa Axelrod, student, 22; Brooke Jackson, graphic designer, 24 (Southern belle best friends)

* Andrew Lappitt, student, 22; Dan Honig, hotel manager trainee, 23 (fraternity brothers nicknamed "Team Superbad")

* Aja Benton, aspiring actress, 25; Ty White, banker, 25 (dating long distance)

* Mark Yturralde, Comic-Con treasurer, 41; Bill Hahler, student aid administrator, 42 (best friends)

* Toni Imbimbo, accounting consultant, 51; Dallas Imbimbo, student, 22 (mother and son)

* Nick Spangler, actor, 22; Starr Spangler, former NFL cheerleader, 21 (brother and sister)

* Anita Jones, retired paralegal, 63; Arthur Jones, playground maintenance, 61 (married beekeepers)

* Kelly Crabb, sales representative, 26; Christy Cook, business developer, 26 (divorcees)

* Ken Greene, home builder and ex-NFL player, 51; Tina Greene, executive search firm president, 48 (separated)

* Anthony Marotta, mortgage broker, 32; Stephanie Kacandes, financial saleswoman, 32 (dating)

Meet the cast of The Amazing Race 13!

Amazing Race Cast - CBS.com

Amazing Racers Ready to Roll - E! Online

The Associated Press: Meet the new teams on 'The Amazing Race'

From the E! article:

Here's a look at the teams:

* Terence Gerchberg, running coach, 35; Sarah Leshner, investment analyst, 31 (newly dating)

* Marisa Axelrod, student, 22; Brooke Jackson, graphic designer, 24 (Southern belle best friends)

* Andrew Lappitt, student, 22; Dan Honig, hotel manager trainee, 23 (fraternity brothers nicknamed "Team Superbad")

* Aja Benton, aspiring actress, 25; Ty White, banker, 25 (dating long distance)

* Mark Yturralde, Comic-Con treasurer, 41; Bill Hahler, student aid administrator, 42 (best friends)

* Toni Imbimbo, accounting consultant, 51; Dallas Imbimbo, student, 22 (mother and son)

* Nick Spangler, actor, 22; Starr Spangler, former NFL cheerleader, 21 (brother and sister)

* Anita Jones, retired paralegal, 63; Arthur Jones, playground maintenance, 61 (married beekeepers)

* Kelly Crabb, sales representative, 26; Christy Cook, business developer, 26 (divorcees)

* Ken Greene, home builder and ex-NFL player, 51; Tina Greene, executive search firm president, 48 (separated)

* Anthony Marotta, mortgage broker, 32; Stephanie Kacandes, financial saleswoman, 32 (dating)

Without even having seen any of the racers, I already have my favorites. How can you not pull for a team whose last name is "Imbimbo"? Does anyone know if the first "I" is long or short?

And a former NFL cheerleader named Starr? I'm ready to throw the Nerf brick at my television set already.

I'm already tired of the Southern Belles. Ken and Tina will melt down and file for divorce by week 4

Frat brothers who call themselves team "Superbad". Tell me these guys aren't going to be annoying.

And do we really need another estranged couple using The Amazing Race as some kind of therapy? I mean, it's worked so well before. <_<

I do remember Ken Greene from his days with the St. Louis Football Cardinals. But can any former NFL player ever reach the reality show heights reached by Gary Hogeboom on Survivor? Why would anyone even try? ;)

I'm pulling for the married beekeepers. And the Comic-Con treasurer, as long as he doesn't compete wearing a SpiderMan outfit.

Edited by Crow

Her name is not just Starr - it's Starr Spangler!

I'm pulling for the Comic-Con guys. They won't be wearing suerhero shirts :( - if they did, I'd be happier...

What, no commentary on episode 1? You people got me into this show--I expect discussion!

Too bad about the beekeepers, but it's too early to feel much of anything over the loss of any one team. I find myself gravitating toward that woman who wants everyone to be nice to her. Very annoying, and yet I find her optimism about the human race -- which is already being shot down -- refreshing, if naive.

BTW, expect to hear a lot of reference to "that woman" and "that team" and "those guys" from me until I can place names with faces -- usually about six weeks into the season. :)

Edited by Christian

Watching "those guys" crawl up the steps to the church I kept thinking that the most obvious question they could be asked when they reach the top was, "

How many steps did you just climb?"

I also thought it would be the most cruel question to ask because, in the midst of heated competition, who would think

count

?

The

old folks

didn't seem to be very gung ho about the competetive nature of the race, so it wasn't a shock to see them lose, although for most of the show I thought

"the pinks"

were going to blow it.

I thought the mystery question to be asked at the top of the stairs was obvious. Even frat boys ought to be able to figure that out.

I liked the beekeepers. They were peaceful and loving, and liked to hug people. Sadly, on a show called The Amazing Race, it is important to rouse oneself beyond a waddle.

It is too early to choose favorites. I liked the nerds, who were more competitive than I thought they might be. I still think they might be eliminated next. I did not like the Iraq War Veteran team in camo clothing, who looked liked they wanted to take out anyone near them with friendly fire. I did not like NFL Ken and his wife. The frat boys are stupid and slow, and have no chance. They're not even particularly irksome; just mildly irritating. Nobody else made much of an impression.

The climb down the cargo net was kind of fun. The candy cart was fairly lame. I thought the guitar players at the top of the church steps were the stars of the show.

I liked Nick and Starr, the brother and sister team who finished first this leg; I thought that they were positive, and great competitors. I thought that Aja and Ty, long-distance daters, competed well and had a great attitude towards each other. Mark & Bill (the comicbook geeks) were fun and inventive, and I didn't mind mother-and-son Toni & Dallas.

Teams that left me with a negative impression: Terence & Sarah (mostly Terence, who seems like a searing ball of need), Andrew & Dan (the fratboys - a stereotype that I hate; if they are planning on living "up" to it, they are wastrels, and if they're not, why reinforce it at the start?) and Ken & Tina (divorcing husband & wife, but mostly Tina, and it was only a mildly negative response).

Teams that left me with a solid "meh": Marissa & Brooke (southern belles), Anita & Arthur (beekeeping hippies), Kelly & Christy (recent divorcees) and Anthony & Stephanie (who?)

And confessionally, I don't remember many of these names. I glommed them off of CBS.com. ;)

I thought the mystery question to be asked at the top of the stairs was obvious. Even frat boys ought to be able to figure that out.

As soon as Phil said they'd be asked a "mystery question," I turned to Mrs. Line and said, "how many steps did you just climb?"

It's like these guys have never watched this show. Although, I was not in the heat of the Race...

Perhaps they were expecting something like "What...is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?"

Perhaps they were expecting something like "What...is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?"

African or European?

Just shows ta go ya, if you're on the Amazing Race, ya better take the time to READ THE CLUES.

I personally did not mind Starr's attempt to get Aja & Ty to U-Turn the divorcees. The divorcees would have U-Turned Nick & Starr if they'd had the chance. U-Turning someone is not morally wrong or cheating, neither is trying to persuade someone else to do it for you. That's all fine, I think.

I really enjoyed the Lucha Libre road block. Yatta!

Yay, Phil's dad!

Boo, Star injuring her arm - I hope she's okay. I'm sure next episode will start with a report from the Pit Stop, telling us her medical condition. Poor kid.

Way to go, Ken and Tina for climbing that tower.

Yay, Maori dancers!

Boo, vindictive paranoid divorcees!

Yay, "they really irk my nerve."

Yay, Phil's dad!

Boo, Star injuring her arm - I hope she's okay. I'm sure next episode will start with a report from the Pit Stop, telling us her medical condition. Poor kid.

Way to go, Ken and Tina for climbing that tower.

Yay, Maori dancers!

Boo, vindictive paranoid divorcees!

Those weren't just Maori dancers, those were Maori warriors! I kept hoping that one of them would rip out the heart of one the divorcees, put it on a skewer, dip it in honey mustard sauce, and eat it raw. Hey, people takes risks when they sign up to race. Alas, it was not to be.

Yay, "they really irk my nerve."

I miss the nerds. They were one of the few racing pairs in this edition of the series that actually had personality and wit. The divorcees, who clearly hold the coveted "people you love to hate" slot, will probably be bounced within the next couple weeks. That will leave a bunch of people whose names I don't remember.

Combining different A&F threads, the thought also occurred to me last night how much fun it would be to watch The Amazing Race for the Oval Office. Imagine McCain and Obama squishing kiwis with their bare feet and competing for trips to Washington D.C. in January.

Edited by Andy Whitman

Combining different A&F threads, the thought also occurred to me last night how much fun it would be to watch The Amazing Race for the Oval Office. Imagine McCain and Obama squishing kiwis with their bare feet and competing for trips to Washington D.C. in January.

That, my friend, would be change I could believe in.

Ding Dong! The divorcees are history! And in some ways, it's their own cultural cluelessness that did them in. If the one had not been so fed up with the Holi Ceremony, she might have taken the opportunity to actually read the clue and figure out what she was looking for.

I don't want to judge people based on their TV edit, but I was glad to see them go. They seemed shallow and annoying. I never thought I'd be rooting for the Frat Boys to beat anyone...

Nick and Starr and Dallas and Toni did great, and HOW ABOUT KEN and TINA?? Wow. Recovering from the Speed Bump and keeping high spirits and team work going. This was a great episode of the RACE.

Yeah, the Detour -- or was it the Roadblock? I can never keep 'em straight -- was pretty hilarious.

I had nothing against the divorcees, but knew they or the Fanboys would have to go. The Fanboys annoy me much more because they blame each other during the racing footage, and during their individual on-camera interviews. Ken and Tina, who I'm not officially rooting for, did them a huge favor.

While there are those I want to see gone as soon as possible -- last night was a toss up, if they eliminated the last 2 to arrive I'd have really been happy -- so far this season there's nobody that is really ringing my chimes. Don't care who wins (as long, at this point that it isn't the fat boys frat boys). hope the destinations are worth watching to keep it interesting.

Missed opportunity: Here they are in New Delhi and they haven't made them go to the Sulabh International Museum of Toilets. Has a collection of artifacts, pictures, and objects dealing with the historic evolution of toilets since 2500 BCE

the museum is the subject of today's "Why Do Men Have Nipples" calendar.

Edited by Darrel Manson

I'm glad that the divorcees are gone, although they never quite reached the Freddy and Kendra-level of model drama-queen harpiness. Hopefully they'll get some therapy for their emotional baggage they've been trucking along with them. But it was priceless seeing what's-her-name getting pelted with dye so she looked like a an extra for the film Apocalypto.

I was impressed with Ken and Tina that they fought to stay in the race even with the Speed Bump. Ken really comes across as a likeable guy, and Sunday he and Tina each showed more spunk than the entire St. Louis Rams team put together. He looks like he's in pretty good shape, he could probably get back into the NFL and start in the Rams secondary right now.

I'm pulling for Toni and Dallas at this point. It's awfully hard for a twenty-something guy to look cool when he's running around with his Mom, but Dallas has a genuinely likeable demeanor, and the both of them are geniunely supportive.

The Fanboys are purely, meh. I'm not crazy about them, I don't hate them, they're just, there.

I'm betting that Nick and Starr will win the whole thing, though. It's not that I don't like them, but the two of them seem to have the automated spunky upbeat-ness that the hosts of daytime talk shows have.

I'm betting that Nick and Starr will win the whole thing, though. It's not that I don't like them, but the two of them seem to have the automated spunky upbeat-ness that the hosts of daytime talk shows have.

Yeah, they drive me a little crazy, as do all obvious front-runners. Something about Nick bothers me, although Starr looks increasingly attractive (to me) as the race goes on.

I do wonder if the Dallas/Starr flirting will continue, and/or be played up by the producers of the show.