Sign in to follow this  
CrimsonLine

The Amazing Race 13

I noticed Toni & Dallas was not there at the finish. Is this normal for all Amazing Races... or are they still stuck in Moscow (sans passport & money)?

I noticed Toni & Dallas was not there at the finish. Is this normal for all Amazing Races... or are they still stuck in Moscow (sans passport & money)?

They were still stuck in Moscow, according to what I've read.

I'm happy to see

Nick and Starr win, since they were the strongest team, having won most of the legs.

And compared to some past races, it's refreshing to see a team of likeable folks win. It's too bad to see the final sprint come down to who gets the best taxi. A clueless taxi driver doomed

Dan and Andrew

, so for once you can say that falling behind on this leg wasn't entirely their fault.

I thought the memory challenge was ingenious and a good test. I wish they could have put that at the end of the leg, before the final sprint, instead of in the middle of the leg, where so much of the rest of the leg came down to taxi luck.

Portland is a really cool city, and it was fun to watch the teams run around downtown. I've been to VooDoo doughnut! The magic really is in the hole. They should have had a road block where team members had to eat a Triple Chocolate Penetration doughnut: chocolate with chocolate glaze, topped with Cocoa Puffs. Talk about a sugar rush! ::w00tfuzz::

From information I found on the Amazing Race forum on Television Without Pity, apparently Toni and Dallas were able to get their passports back within a day or two, but not in time to catch a flight that would allow them to catch everyone else at the Final Mat.

Edited by Crow

Anyone else touched by Ken and Tina? I cried. I'm such a sap.

And again, we see two people who bow and pray. Yes, there's $1 million on the line, so it's easy to be cynical about such things. But I got the sense that this was something Ken was comfortable doing, not just a desperation prayer thrown up in the race to the finish.

Was that just my rooting interest coming through, or did others pick up on the same thing?

Anyone else touched by Ken and Tina? I cried. I'm such a sap.

And again, we see two people who bow and pray. Yes, there's $1 million on the line, so it's easy to be cynical about such things. But I got the sense that this was something Ken was comfortable doing, not just a desperation prayer thrown up in the race to the finish.

Was that just my rooting interest coming through, or did others pick up on the same thing?

I like Ken. I'm less fond of Tina, although admittedly Tina has reasons to be not very fond of Ken. I loved the ending at the pit stop. They lost. And then they won. If someone had simply described that scene to me I would have dismissed it as hopelessly hokey. But watching it, it wasn't. It was real. I hope they make it in their marriage.

In spite of their Ken and Barbie personas, it was difficult not to cheer for Nick and Starr. They were very, very good in terms of competing in the race. And they genuinely appear to love one another.

Justice was finally served in that the frat boys finished where they should have several episodes back. But even they were gracious and self-deprecating in defeat. I ended up liking them more than I had in previous legs, where their only value came from comic relief.

It was a real Amazing Race rarity: Two-and-a-half of the final three teams were actually likeable.

It was a real Amazing Race rarity: Two-and-a-half of the final three teams were actually likeable.

Miss Alli, who used to recap TAR over at Television Without Pity, used to have a rule that she'd quote to producers every once in a while in her recaps: Don't cast anyone that you'd be horrified to see win. I think it's a good rule.

They were still stuck in Moscow, according to what I've read.

Really? I noticed their cameraman was alert enough to zoom in on the bag Dallas left in the cab. He wasn't also alert enough to zoom in on the cab's plate number so someone could call and retrieve the bag?

A very satisfying race, and while I was cheering for Toni and Dallas, it's fine with me that Nick and Starr won it. What a competitive team. I especially appreciated that this was very family-friendly. We love to watch this as a family, but we sometimes have winced at some of the content. This race was more enjoyable for that reason.

I taped the marching episode in Russia -- I may never be able to bring myself to erase it! Watching Dandrew stumble through that roadblock was one of the funniest things I've ever seen. And then losing their shoes...

The carmera work was, as always, near genius. So many things communicated by context, such as a sign in the background. Last night, it was Nick walking under a theater marquee saying that he didn't know where the theater was. The shot of Dallas' backpack in the cab was another great example. This team has a great instinct for visual detail.

Yes, Ken and Tina's moment was very touching. Not a perfect couple, no easy fixes for them, no starry-eyed delusions -- but an honest re-commitment to do the hard work of making it work. God bless 'em.

Man, I wish Canadians could compete in this show! Anyone here going to apply?