Sign in to follow this  
Overstreet

the new GILLIAN WELCH album

Thoughts?

It seems to me like the first true Gillian Welch record. The others felt more like Gillian Welch and David Rawlings records.

The music is more a supporting structure for her vocals on this one... in fact you have to turn her voice up to really hear and appreciate the simple but skillful instrumentation.

After the feast that was Revelator, though, this record seems a little slight. I need to spend some more time with it before I say that with certainty... it's just a first impression.

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

I'll jump in here just to quibble with you, Jeffrey. smile.gif

If "Revelator" is a "feast," then "Revival" is a 10-course dinner, with dessert and a lovely glass of port. Followed by a big fat stogie.

I'm a fan of all three earlier Welch records, but each has its strengths. I didn't think "Revelator" stood out from the pack. It has some great songs, as do all her records, but the certain sameness of her sound began to wear thin on that album, I thought. I do like "Revelator," though.

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

I agree, Christian. Revival is still my favorite Welch record. But it's also an album of traditional songwriting. Revelator sounded like Welch jumping the tracks and blazing a new path with her own songwriting, venturing into more abstract and challenging territory both musically and lyrically.

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

Phew! I am a Revival fan too. I was hoping I wouldn't be the odd man out here. If ...Whiskey Girl were on revival it would be her perfect album.

I do like the new one. It is much fuller, so confident. But do you think it is better that it is a "Gillian Welch" album and not a "Welch+Rawlings" album? I can't imagine seeing them with a full band and not just those two on the stage plowing boldy through such terribly complicated sets.

"...the vivid crossing of borders between film and theology may save the film from the banality of cinema and festival business, and it may also save the church from the deep sleep of the habitual and the always known."

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter

: I can't imagine seeing them with a full band and not just those two on

: the stage plowing boldy through such terribly complicated sets.

There's yet been no Gillian album that competes with watching them live, although Revival and Revelator come closest.

Dale

Metalfoot on Emmanuel Shall Come to Thee's Noel: "...this album is...monotony...bland, tripy fare..."

Good point. Which is what worries me about Soul Journey. Bands need a hook to make it. Thier hook has always been that the two of them is all the need to fill a stage with music and hold an audience in the palms of thier hands for two hours.

So if that changes, my perception of Gillian Welch will. Her and her music. Thier live show would be much much different.

"...the vivid crossing of borders between film and theology may save the film from the banality of cinema and festival business, and it may also save the church from the deep sleep of the habitual and the always known."

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter

I must admit, I never heard of Gillian Welch until a few weeks ago, when she opened up for Norah Jones.

Since then we bought both REVIVAL and REVELATOR.

We still love her "I wanna do RAHT, but NOT RAHT NOW...". We cannot stop quoting that.

Nick

Nick Alexander

Keynote, Worship Leader, Comedian, Parodyist

Host of the Prayer Meeting Podcast - your virtual worship oasis. (Subscribe)

Nick, did you have trouble finding "Hell Among the Yearlings"? I noticed when I searched for Gillain's releases yesterday on Amazon that "Yearlings" didn't come up. Does anyone know if it's out of print? I'd be very surprised if it is.

Anyway, it's a good record, Nick. It followed "Revival" but preceded "Revelator." It's worth seeking out if you like the music on the other two Gillian records. I can't speak about the newest release, which I've yet to hear.

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

can't speak about the newest release, which I've yet to hear.

But now I have, and I love it. Too bad the library only let me have it a few weeks. I guess it'll be there when I'm ready for another dose.

Another album I finally got around to hearing, and which impressed me, is Lucinda Williams' "World Without Tears." I

I just downloaded Gillian Welch doing a cover of Radiohead's "Black Star" off of emusic. Holy smokes, this is one of the best songs I've heard in along time. She takes a song from a radically different style than her own, reinvents for her own purpose and artistic palatte and lo and behold pulls it off. She takes what was a mournful tune and makes it into a work of heartbreaking honesty, disappointment, and regret. Good grief this is a good song.

Edited by Kyle

"It is scandalous for Christians to have an imagination starved for God." - Mark Filiatreau

I write occasionally at Unfamiliar Stars.

damn, reviving a thread called "new Gillian Welch album" without a new Gillian Welch album is just cruel.

:)

So why doesn't David Rawlings have his own record?

Edited by run

Yeah, my bad. Sorry to get people's hopes up. Although, I swear I heard somewhere that Gillian Welch would be having a new album released in 2007. Of course, I could be making that up, wishful thinking on my part.

"It is scandalous for Christians to have an imagination starved for God." - Mark Filiatreau

I write occasionally at Unfamiliar Stars.

It's been almost four years, hasn't it?

Rawlings is one of my favorite guitarists. If that guy ever straps on an electric and hits the road I may just quit my job and be a full time groupie.

"The things we enjoy are channels through which the divine glory strikes us, and those who love and delight in any good thing may yet learn to love God." --Gilbert Meilaender

Pulling this thread up to highlight today's new release, which I had no idea was coming.