The Simpsons Movie

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"This is indeed a disturbing universe."

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

Like the part when the dome is coming down (or is it the bomb about to go off?) and they show the church and Moe's bar next to each other and the church folk run to the bar while the bar folk run to the church. :D

Edited by BBBCanada

Brandon

"God is so great and merciful that he does not require that we name him precisely. God is even willing to be anonymous for a time. Remember how God led the Three Wise Men from the East to Christ? The Wise Men did not know the God of Israel or Jesus. They worshipped the stars. So God used a star to lure them."--The Twelve Steps for Christians

myspace-animation-codes121.gif

There's one scene in which Bart goes skating through town nekked and in which they show a close up of his johnson (which I think is a first ever) and one bystander noticing him says, "I like men now."

Edited by BBBCanada

Brandon

"God is so great and merciful that he does not require that we name him precisely. God is even willing to be anonymous for a time. Remember how God led the Three Wise Men from the East to Christ? The Wise Men did not know the God of Israel or Jesus. They worshipped the stars. So God used a star to lure them."--The Twelve Steps for Christians

I liked this exchange between Lisa and her Irish friend.

Lisa: "Are you ..."

Friend: "No, my dad is not Bono!"

Also:

President Schwarzenegger: "I'm here to lead, not to read"

and

"Mr. President, here I have five unthinkable options"

President Schwarzenegger: "3"

"no"

"5"

"too high"

"3"

"you already said that"

"2"

"double that"

"4"

"bingo!"

I liked this exchange between Lisa and her Irish friend.

Lisa: "Are you ..."

Friend: "No, my dad is not Bono!"

Also:

President Schwarzenegger: "I'm here to lead, not to read"

and

"Mr. President, here I have five unthinkable options"

President Schwarzenegger: "3"

"no"

"5"

"too high"

"3"

"you already said that"

"2"

"double that"

"4"

"bingo!"

the option thing WAS funny, although, I'm pretty sure before he said "2" he said "6". To which the head of the EPA said "There is no 6"

Homer and Marge are in Alaska arguing about going home to Springfield and Homer says, "I'm not going back to America!"

Brandon

"To be continued...Immediately"

Brandon

27 films have made over $70 million on their opening weekends, and The Simpsons Movie is one of them (with $74 million in the till last weekend, it has the 20th-highest opening weekend ever, in fact). However, this past weekend, its revenues dropped a whopping 66.1%, as it raked in a mere $25.1 million in its second week. If it keeps dropping like this, it COULD become the first film EVER to open with more than $70 million and NOT gross over $200 million in total. For whatever that's worth.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

Very true. I remember how, when Star Trek: First Contact (1996) and The X-Files (1998) came out in the mid- to late 1990s, they were among the very, very, very few films that had opened with over $30 million but failed to make $100 million when all was said and done. The only other film like that, at that time, was Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992), I think.

(They have since been joined by 1999's The Haunting and Pokemon: The First Movie, 2000's Unbreakable and Scream 3, 2001's America's Sweethearts, 2002's Panic Room and The Scorpion King and Red Dragon and Blade II, 2003's Freddy vs. Jason, 2004's The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie and Alien vs. Predator, 2005's The Ring Two and Saw II and The Dukes of Hazzard and The Exorcism of Emily Rose, 2006's Madea's Family Reunion and Scary Movie 4 and Saw III, and 2007's Norbit and possibly Evan Almighty -- almost all of which are franchise pics, and thus likely to attract the bulk of their audiences on opening weekend.)

So yeah, movies based on current TV shows will definitely tend to open big and fall fast.

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

2002's Panic Room

About a week after Panic Room came out, I was bored on a Thursday night and went downtown to The Palace theater to see it. I saw the 7:15(?) feature completely alone in a theater built to seat about 600. Within a week, the movie completely dropped off the radar around here until the DVD release.

"If the Christian subculture exists primarily to condemn the world, you can be sure that Jesus is not having any part of it." - John Fischer

"Ignorance is excusable when it is borne like a cross, but when it is wielded like an axe, and with moral indignation, then it becomes something else indeed." - Flannery O'Connor

• 2 weeks later...

I went in to see this with The Muppet Movie as my measuring stick.

Would this all-ages, half-hour television show be able to expand to big-screen dimensions and still be entertaining, engaging, a little bit thoughtful, and better than... oh... three episodes of the show stacked end to end?

Well, The Muppet Movie was so much better than any Muppet fan could have expected. It managed to weave in all of the major characters, give most of them memorable moments, and leave the audience inspired and delighted. It also proved much, much funnier than the show.

The Simpsons Movie is... much to my surprise... satisfying. It's not light-years beyond my hopes, but I laughed a lot more than I would at any three-episode marathon. I wouldn't say it moved me (and yes, The Muppet Movie does move me). But man... I needed some good laughs, and it delivered. It'll be tough for me to think of the last time I laughed so much in a theater.

Favorite moment:

The congregation and Mo's bar customers switching places.

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

A gosh-diddly-darn Christian hero

An interesting thing happens during The Simpsons Movie, which recently opened number one at the box office in the United States and Canada. Ned Flanders, often mocked in the television series for his Christian beliefs and strict moral standards, plays just about the most important role in the story. This newfound respect for Ned in The Simpsons Movie startled young fans at the press screening.

Ted Baehr and Tom Snyder, National Post, August 18

- - -

"Newfound"? "Startled"? HUH!?

Crow wrote:

: And hearing

Maggie speak her first word

during the credits was cute too:

Sequel!

But wasn't there an episode many years ago in which

Maggie spoke her first word

? If memory serves, the big guest star that episode was Elizabeth Taylor.

This is true. I can't remember the exact name of the episode but her first word was definitely "Daddy" in the episode in question. I wonder if the writers of the film realized this or just thought it wasn't important enough to get in the way of a joke.

"Someone like Jean-Luc Godard is for me intellectual counterfeit money when compared to a good kung fu film." - Werner Herzog

3brothersfilm.com

This is true. I can't remember the exact name of the episode but her first word was definitely "Daddy" in the episode in question. I wonder if the writers of the film realized this or just thought it wasn't important enough to get in the way of a joke.

Hey little bro! Welcome to the board.

Oh, and I agree. I can't believe the writers wouldn't know this, since most of them are veterans of the show.

"A director must live with the fact that his work will be called to judgment by someone who has never seen a film of Murnau's." - François Truffaut

Twitter.
Letterboxd.

Reviews and essays at Three Brothers Film.

27 films have made over $70 million on their opening weekends, and The Simpsons Movie is one of them (with $74 million in the till last weekend, it has the 20th-highest opening weekend ever, in fact). However, this past weekend, its revenues dropped a whopping 66.1%, as it raked in a mere $25.1 million in its second week. If it keeps dropping like this, it COULD become the first film EVER to open with more than $70 million and NOT gross over $200 million in total. For whatever that's worth.

FWIW, just for comparison's sake: To date, 27 films have opened with over $70 million, and the lowest final cume that any of them had was the $210.6 million earned by 300 earlier this year. By the 31st day of its release (which is how long The Simpsons Movie has been out), 300 had earned $193.4 million, but The Simpsons Movie is well behind that, at $173.4 million.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 years later...

As I said at Facebook last night, you gotta wonder what the animators made of this, um, self-portrait as they were working on it.

Maybe it's just me, but this feels more like a parody of anti-Simpsons criticisms than a parody of The Simpsons and its makers -- for the obvious reason that this parody was made by the makers of The Simpsons themselves.

And I'm pretty sure this isn't the FIRST time that The Simpsons has made joking references to the fact that they outsource their animation. It's almost certainly the most VISUAL gag in that direction, though.

Oh, and FWIW, the thread for the Simpsons TV show (as opposed to the movie) is here.

And I'm pretty sure this isn't the FIRST time that The Simpsons has made joking references to the fact that they outsource their animation. It's almost certainly the most VISUAL gag in that direction, though.

There was a very similar gag (done with a great deal more subtlety -- this one seems unbearably hamfisted and didactic to me) in the "Itchy and Scratchy: The Movie" episode.