Sign in to follow this  
Ward in SC

DANIELSON !

it's the October surprise, only in November.

cribbed from pitchfork

By the time they built up those Ships back in the spring of 2006, Daniel Smith's Danielson (with and without his Famile) had been making with the music for more than a decade.

Two whole discs of favorite tracks from the pre-Ships era-- plus some previously unheard alternate versions, live cuts, and various unreleased material-- have been collected for a new anthology entitled Trying Hartz. In addition to 28 Danielson tunes, the set features Smith's personal thoughts about each and every track in the collection, plus some additional liners from The Ice Storm novelist Rick Moody. Trying Hartz is due November 4 from Secretly Canadian.

But enough looking back! There's a whole slew of Danielson fall tour dates with Cryptacize to look forward to, kicking off on Halloween in New York City. Gee, wonder what Daniel will dress as?

Trying Hartz:

Disc 1:

01 Now Try

02 Body English

03 Flip Flop Flim Flam

04 Singers Go First

05 Jersey Loverboy

06 Animal in Every Corner

07 Rubbernecker

08 Sold! To the Nice Rich Man! (live)

09 Thanx to Noah

10 Rallying the Dominoes

11 The Lord's Rest (live)

12 A Meeting With Your Maker

13 Daughters Will Tune You

14 Runnin' to Brother

Disc 2:

01 A No No

02 Good News for the Pus Pickers

03 Don't You Be the Judge (live)

04 The Wheel Made Man

05 Fetch the Compass Kids (live)

06 Idiot Boksen

07 Nice of Me (live)

08 Cutest Lil' Dragon (live)

09 Pottymouth

10 Southern Paws

11 I Am My Beloved's (live)

12 Hammers Sitting Still (live)

13 Smooth Death

14 Cheer Hart

Danielson:

10-31 New York, NY - Knitting Factory *

11-02 Philadelphia, PA - TBA *

11-04 Pontiac, MI - Crofoot Pike Room *

11-05 Chicago, IL - Reggies *

11-06 Minneapolis, MN - Triple Rock Social Club *

11-07 Omaha, NE - The Waiting Room *

11-08 Denver, CO - Hi-Dive *

11-09 Salt Lake City, UT - Kilby Court *

11-11 Seattle, WA - Vera Project *+

11-12 Portland, OR - Backspace *+

11-14 San Francisco, CA - Bottom of the Hill *

11-15 West Hollywood, CA - Troubadour *^

11-16 Phoenix, AZ - Modified *

11-18 Austin, TX - Mohawk *

11-19 Houston, TX - Walter's on Washington*

11-20 Dallas, TX - Granada Theater *$

11-21 Memphis, TN - Hi-Tone *

11-22 Athens, GA - 40 Watt Club *

11-23 Asheville, NC - Grey Eagle *

While I normally don't get too excited about live tracks and rarities (thus my tempered enthusiasm for this collection), I am excited about the liner notes featuring Daniel Smith's thoughts on each and every track. I have a suspecion they will be detailed and illuminative - and thus worth the purchase price.

"It is scandalous for Christians to have an imagination starved for God." - Mark Filiatreau

I write occasionally at Unfamiliar Stars.

There are a couple of other Danielson releases/reissues coming soon too.

Sept 23:

• DANIELSON FAMILE - Tell Another Joke At The Ol' Choppin' Block 2xLP (Secretly Canadian)
  • DANIELSON FAMILE - Fetch the Compass Kids LP (Secretly Canadian)
  • DANIELSON FAMILE - Tri-Danielson!!! (Alpha/Omega) 2xLP (Sounds Familyre)

Oct 21:

• DANIELSON - Our Givest (Remix) 7" (Secretly Canadian) SC191

While I normally don't get too excited about live tracks and rarities (thus my tempered enthusiasm for this collection), I am excited about the liner notes featuring Daniel Smith's thoughts on each and every track. I have a suspecion they will be detailed and illuminative - and thus worth the purchase price.

Indeed. And they put on such a great live show, I am sad they aren't passing through here.

"...the vivid crossing of borders between film and theology may save the film from the banality of cinema and festival business, and it may also save the church from the deep sleep of the habitual and the always known."

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter

I'm glad to hear the reissues are coming out. I couldn't find anything about them on the Secretly Canadian site last I looked. "A No-No" is absolutely one of my favorite songs ...I really can't get enough of it. Possibly the best worship song ever?? ("I love my Lord, I love my Lord, I love my Lord, I love my Lord - breakitdownnow!")

After 5 long years, new Danielson is coming in February. Sounds like the players are shifting somewhat for this one.

Heard the new album a few times now, and it's good-- though not, to my ears, quite as strong as Ships. In some ways, it's a more uninhibited outpouring of Danielson than that album was; he may have a new band, but his perspective on matters both musical and poetic remains as delightfully skewed as ever. There are some manic, yelpy rockers here-- very much in the Ships vein-- that are very strong. There are a couple of musical theater numbers, like the most demented Broadway showtunes this side of Avenue Q, that I find to be nearly unlistenable. And there are a cluster of drone-y numbers at the end of the album that are really lovely, but the way they're packed together at the end of the record suggests a slight flaw in the album pacing. All told, it's something Danielson fans will eat up, though I wouldn't say it's made to appeal to newbies.

Partner in Cahoots

www.cahootsmag.com