Overstreet

Blade Runner 2

From co-writers of Eagle Eye...

But before you throw a hissy fit. let me fill you in on all the details and assure you that nothing is being developed by the studio itself, or with the studio's involvement.

Okay first of all, lets make sure we know who exactly we're talking about. The screenwriters in question are not Alex Kurtzman or Roberto Orci, but instead Eagle Eye co-writer Travis Wright (who was at the event) and his Eagle Eye co-writer John Glenn.

Wright produced a 2005 animated movie which spoofed disaster films, called Disaster! The Movie. While at UCLA, Wright won the Jack Nicholson prize in screenwriting for his WWII drama Hunting the Wolf. At one point Wright and Glenn were attached to write a remake of The Warriors for Tony Scott/Paramount and Louis Leterrier's remake of Clash of the Titans.

Wright revealed at the Creative Screenwriting event that they have been working on various treatments for a Blade Runner sequel over the last couple years. And there is the claim that recently the duo have been working with Blade Runner co-executive producer Bud Yorkin. It should be noted that Yorkin likely doesn't control the rights to a Blade Runner sequel, and all of this is being developed outside of the studio. But this isn't just some small side project, Travis also claims that they are already working with a previsualization team on some of the hunter action sequences for their eventual pitch with the studio. I don't believe that Ridley Scott is involved, but the screenwriting team has worked directly with his brother Tony Scott on projects, so their might be a possible connection.

All of this really scares the hell out of me.

Edited by Overstreet

I could see this working...

...only if it starred Steve Coogan about a down-and-out drama teacher who inspires a deity-representing-a-major-target-demographic to bring the lead characters alive again and that there's a silly original single that comes out of it.

I'm not sure if my idea has been tried yet.

M. Leary   

I was wondering about who held the rights to "Bladerunner" as a title. This from Wikipedia: "Fancher found a cinema treatment by William S. Burroughs for Alan E. Nourse's novel The Bladerunner (1974), entitled Blade Runner (a movie). Scott liked the name so Deeley [the producer] obtained the rights to the titles. Eventually he hired David Peoples to rewrite the script, and Fancher left the job on December 21, 1980 over the issue, although he later returned to contribute additional rewrites."

So, I am assuming that such a film could really be made. Which leads me to the first emoticon I have ever used: :cry:

Link to the thread on Blade Runner.

I don't see why anybody would be "scared" by this news. I can't imagine any sequel would affect this film any more than Peter Hyams' bit of hack work 2010: The Year We Make Contact affected Stanley Kubrick's timeless masterpiece 2001: A Space Odyssey.

I'm not sure how I missed this bit of news from earlier this summer...

Web Series Tied to ‘Blade Runner’ Is In the Works

On Thursday the film’s director, Ridley Scott, announced that a new division of his commercials company, RSA Films, was working on a video series called “Purefold.” The series of linked 5- to 10-minute shorts, aimed first at the Web and then perhaps television, will be set at a point in time before 2019, when the Harrison Ford movie takes place in a dystopian Los Angeles.

Mr. Scott, his brother Tony and his son Luke are developing the project in conjunction with the independent studio Ag8, which is run by one of the creators of “Where are the Joneses?” a British Web sitcom that solicited storyline suggestions from the audience. Similarly, “Purefold” will harvest story input from its viewers, in conjunction with the social media site FriendFeed.

But the series won’t be hewing too closely to the specific characters or situations in “Blade Runner.” Some of that material stemmed from the Philip K. Dick novel “Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?” which the “Purefold” creators do not have rights to. -- By Brad Stone - June 4, 2009 - The New York Times

Edited by Baal_T'shuvah

I'm not sure how I missed this bit of news from earlier this summer...

Web Series Tied to ‘Blade Runner’ Is In the Works

On Thursday the film’s director, Ridley Scott, announced that a new division of his commercials company, RSA Films, was working on a video series called “Purefold.” The series of linked 5- to 10-minute shorts, aimed first at the Web and then perhaps television, will be set at a point in time before 2019, when the Harrison Ford movie takes place in a dystopian Los Angeles.

Mr. Scott, his brother Tony and his son Luke are developing the project in conjunction with the independent studio Ag8, which is run by one of the creators of “Where are the Joneses?” a British Web sitcom that solicited storyline suggestions from the audience. Similarly, “Purefold” will harvest story input from its viewers, in conjunction with the social media site FriendFeed.

But the series won’t be hewing too closely to the specific characters or situations in “Blade Runner.” Some of that material stemmed from the Philip K. Dick novel “Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?” which the “Purefold” creators do not have rights to. -- By Brad Stone - June 4, 2009 - The New York Times

I'm interested in the "Purefold" project. Not at all interested in a BLADE RUNNER 2 (besides, the way upcoming Duncan Jones' follow-up to MOON looks, it's so BLADE RUNNER inspired that we might not need a sequel).

: The series of linked 5- to 10-minute shorts, aimed first at the Web and then perhaps television, will be set at a point in time before 2019, when the Harrison Ford movie takes place in a dystopian Los Angeles.

So... is it still predicated on the notion that 2019 will turn out the same way that they predicted it would turn out back in 1982? And if the series takes place BEFORE 2019, does that mean it will take place at some point in the next few years? Say, in 2015? Will the series' version of 2015 be recognizable as a projection from where we are right now in 2009? Or will it take place on some alternate timeline that exists between 1982 and the 2019 of the movie?

: The series of linked 5- to 10-minute shorts, aimed first at the Web and then perhaps television, will be set at a point in time before 2019, when the Harrison Ford movie takes place in a dystopian Los Angeles.

So... is it still predicated on the notion that 2019 will turn out the same way that they predicted it would turn out back in 1982? And if the series takes place BEFORE 2019, does that mean it will take place at some point in the next few years? Say, in 2015? Will the series' version of 2015 be recognizable as a projection from where we are right now in 2009? Or will it take place on some alternate timeline that exists between 1982 and the 2019 of the movie?

Perhaps the easiest way for Ridley Scott to deal with this is to release a Blade Runner: The Final Final Cut (I Really Mean It This Time), and change the opening title card to: LOS ANGELES NOVEMBER 2119

The press release:

Warner Bros-based financing and production company Alcon Entertainment (“The Blind Side,” “The Book of Eli”) co-founders and co-Chief Executive Officers Broderick Johnson and Andrew Kosove, in the most significant property acquisition negotiations in the Company’s 13-year history, are in final discussions to secure film, television and ancillary franchise rights to produce prequels and sequels to the iconic 1982 science-fiction thriller “Blade Runner.”

Alcon is negotiating to secure the rights from producer-director Bud Yorkin, who will serve as producer on “Blade Runner” along with Kosove and Johnson. Cynthia Sikes Yorkin will co-produce. Frank Giustra and Tim Gamble, CEO’s of Thunderbird Films, will serve as executive producers.

Alcon’s franchise rights would be all-inclusive, but exclude rights to remake the original. The Company, however, may produce projects based on situations introduced in the original film. The project would be distributed domestically by Warner Bros. International rights are yet to be determined.

Johnson and Kosove stated: “We are honored and excited to be in business with Bud Yorkin. This is a major acquisition for our company, and a personal favorite film for both of us. We recognize the responsibility we have to do justice to the memory of the original with any prequel or sequel we produce. We have long-term goals for the franchise, and are exploring multi-platform concepts, not just limiting ourselves to one medium only.”

M. Leary   

Johnson and Kosove stated: “We are honored and excited to be in business with Bud Yorkin. This is a major acquisition for our company, and a personal favorite film for both of us."

I don't believe this is "a personal favorite film" of theirs. Or perhaps they are using the word "favorite" differently than everyone else. If it was a "favorite" film of theirs, then they would reject this sequel idea as dishonorable capitalist rubbish.

Edited by M. Leary

Leary, I suspect that they would consider "capitalist rubbish" an under-handed compliment. (Dishonorable, not so much.)

Johnson and Kosove stated: “We are honored and excited to be in business with Bud Yorkin. This is a major acquisition for our company, and a personal favorite film for both of us."

I don't believe this is "a personal favorite film" of theirs. Or perhaps they are using the word "favorite" differently than everyone else. If it was a "favorite" film of theirs, then they would reject this sequel idea as dishonorable capitalist rubbish.

Yeah, that was pretty much my reaction upon hearing the news yesterday.

Edited by Overstreet

Someone pointed out yesterday that the original film takes place in 2019 ... which seemed really futuristic in 1982 but, today, is, like, just another year in this decade. Wouldn't that make sequels and prequels kind of difficult? Unless they took place in an alternate version of the present, I guess ...

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

opus   

Someone pointed out yesterday that the original film takes place in 2019 ... which seemed really futuristic in 1982 but, today, is, like, just another year in this decade. Wouldn't that make sequels and prequels kind of difficult? Unless they took place in an alternate version of the present, I guess ...

Producers of new 'Blade Runner' movie: Here's what we can do with our film (oh, and we'd love to bring back Ridley Scott)

The company, Alcon Entertainment, is acquiring rights that will allow them to make a movie with elements from both Scott's 1982 movie and the Phillip K. Dick novel "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" on which it's based.

The company isn't buying remake rights — in fact, co-founder Broderick Johnson says "we never would want to remake it — but they do think there's a rich vein of material for a prequel or sequel, which they will be entitled to make. (They'd also be allowed to build off scenes from the original.)

[...]

The original was set in 2019, a year that seemed very far away in 1982 but that seems pretty close now. A prequel wouldn't allow for a setting too many years beyond our own. (The producers say they're not concerned because technology changes quickly and anyway, Johnson says, this would be set in an alternative universe.)

The use of an "alternative universe" might sidestep issues re. technology, but it feels like a bit of a cop-out to me.

Edited by opus

Man, I hate the idea of a prequel. I hate the idea of a sequel, too, but I hate it less.

Anyway, I find it interesting that there hasn't been any mention of the literary sequel to BLADE RUNNER, BLADE RUNNER 2: THE EDGE OF HUMAN by K. W. Jeter. From the Wikipedia plot summary:

Beginning several months after the events in
Blade Runner
, Deckard has retired to an isolated shack outside the city, taking the replicant Rachael with him in a Tyrell transport container, which slows down the replicant aging process. He is approached by a woman who explains she is Sarah Tyrell, niece of Eldon Tyrell, heiress to the entire Tyrell Corporation and the human template (
templant
) for the Rachael replicant. She asks Deckard to hunt down the "missing" sixth replicant. At the same time, the human templant for Roy Batty hires Dave Holden, the blade runner attacked by Leon, to help him hunt down the man he believes is the sixth replicant - Deckard.

Deckard and Holden's investigations lead them to re-visit Sebastian, Bryant, and John Isidore (from the book
Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep?
), learning more about the nature of the blade runners and the replicants.

When Deckard, Batty, and Holden finally clash, Batty's inhuman fighting prowess leads Holden to believe he has been duped all along and that Batty is the sixth replicant; he shoots him. Deckard returns to Sarah with his suspicion: there is
no
sixth replicant. Sarah, speaking via a remote camera, confesses that she created and maintained the rumor herself, to deliberately discredit and eventually destroy the Tyrell Corporation, after her uncle Eldon created Rachael based on her and then abandoned the real Sarah. Sarah brings Rachael back to the Corporation building to meet with Deckard, and he escapes with her.

However, Holden - recovering from his injuries during the fight - later finds the truth: Rachael has been killed by Tyrell agents, and the "Rachael" who escaped with Deckard was actually Sarah. She has completed her revenge by both destroying Tyrell, and taking back Rachael's place.

You know that forehead vein Stef has, that pops up and threatens to burst whenever a certain Indiana Jones thread makes an appearance on the board? This thread is doing the same to me. Even when the news is false.

Edited by Baal_T'shuvah

Persona   

A few months ago I wouldn't have cared, but since I rewatched Blade Runner, I've got a soft(ened) spot for it these days. I can see your point. But I'd rather see the original on the big screen.

Sigh.

Well... here we go.

After revisiting his classic Alien with the upcoming 3D Fox film Prometheus, Ridley Scott is committing to direct and produce a film that advances his other seminal and groundbreaking science fiction film. Scott has signed on to direct and produce a new installment of Blade Runner. He’ll make the film with Alcon Entertainment, producing with Alcon partners Broderick Johnson and Andrew Kosove. This would be the most high profile project for Alcon since The Blind Side.

Sigh.

Well... here we go.

After revisiting his classic Alien with the upcoming 3D Fox film Prometheus, Ridley Scott is committing to direct and produce a film that advances his other seminal and groundbreaking science fiction film. Scott has signed on to direct and produce a new installment of Blade Runner. He’ll make the film with Alcon Entertainment, producing with Alcon partners Broderick Johnson and Andrew Kosove. This would be the most high profile project for Alcon since The Blind Side.

At least it's Ridley Scott and not somebody else.

That fact doesn't give me any more encouragement than if it had been Fincher or Spielberg or Cameron.

Jeff mentioned on Facebook that Deckard's story is complete at the end of Blade Runner, and I completely agree. If this ends up being a continuation or reboot of the original, I'll end up being sad and frustrated. That said, if it's a completely different story set in the same Dick-sian (I feel like there's a joke here) universe, I'd be OK with that.

This news is a lot more devastating, I'm sure, to those who think the original Blade Runner was all that good to begin with.

A part of me wonders if Ridley Scott is just trying to beat the "record" set by Tron Legacy for longest gap between a Hollywood movie and its sequel.* But then I wonder if such a comparison would even be possible, if none of the original actors came along for the new film.

And really, who DOES expect any of the original actors to return for this film? Harrison Ford has been quite vocal about the fact that he and Ridley Scott disagree on the nature of Deckard (Ford says Deckard is a human, Scott says Deckard is a replicant), and it would be pretty much impossible to continue Deckard's story without resolving that argument one way or the other.

And without Deckard, who else is there that you could really hang a film on, without going all Prometheus and telling an alternate story set somewhere in "that world"?

*There was a gap of 28 years and then some between Tron (1982) and Tron Legacy (2010). The only longer gap between an original film and its sequel that I'm aware, in mainstream American cinema, is the 34 years between The Maltese Falcon (1941) and The Black Bird (1975), which featured two of the original film's minor characters played by the same actors. Internationally, there is also the 30 year gap between Scenes from a Marriage (1973) and Saraband (2003). There may be other examples too, I dunno.