Overstreet

Blade Runner 2

This news is a lot more devastating, I'm sure, to those who think the original Blade Runner was all that good to begin with.

Hah.

I'm guessing this is going to be like PROMETHEUS: a different story set in the same universe. Of course, it's abundantly clear that PROMETHEUS really is very much a prequel to ALIEN, but it nevertheless focuses on different characters. I don't expect to see Deckard again.

Tyler   

And without Deckard, who else is there that you could really hang a film on, without going all Prometheus and telling an alternate story set somewhere in "that world"?

The novel Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? had a techno-populist-pseudo-religious thing called Mercerism that I think is one of the more interesting parts of the book. Blade Runner completely cut that part out, of course, so I doubt they'd bring it in now.

Also, there's a whole series of (authorized) sequel novels written by K.W. Jeter, one of Dick's friends, that continue the Blade Runner story with the same characters.

Ridley Scott Says He’ll Direct ‘Blade Runner’ Sequel

Film director Ridley Scott plans to film a follow-up to his groundbreaking 1982 film, “Blade Runner.”

In an interview with Speakeasy, Scott said he is on board to direct a “Blade Runner” follow-up and has been interviewing writers who can help him with the screenplay. Scott says the new project is “liable to be a sequel.” . . .

“Blade Runner” devotees may not have to wait long for the new movie. “I think I’m close to finding a writer that might be able to help me deliver,” Scott says, “we’re quite a long way in, actually.” . . .

Scott says the new “Blade Runner” project is moving ahead “not with the past cast, of course.” No Deckard? “No, not really,” he says.

Wall Street Journal, November 4

- - -

A part of me wonders if Ridley Scott is just trying to beat the "record" set by Tron Legacy for longest gap between a Hollywood movie and its sequel.* But then I wonder if such a comparison would even be possible, if none of the original actors came along for the new film.

*There was a gap of 28 years and then some between Tron (1982) and Tron Legacy (2010). The only longer gap between an original film and its sequel that I'm aware, in mainstream American cinema, is the 34 years between The Maltese Falcon (1941) and The Black Bird (1975), which featured two of the original film's minor characters played by the same actors. Internationally, there is also the 30 year gap between Scenes from a Marriage (1973) and Saraband (2003). There may be other examples too, I dunno.

Incidentally, I just discovered that there's a new film playing in Canadian theatres called Down the Road Again (2011), which is a sequel to the classic/vintage Canadian film Goin' Down the Road (1970). So there's a gap of FORTY-ONE years ... but it involves independent non-American productions, so its not in the same league as the Tron duo -- or, for that matter, the Thing duo (where the 2011 prequel came out 29 years after the 1982 John Carpenter film ... but those two films don't have any actors in common, so they're not quite in the same league as the Tron duo, either).

Ryan H. wrote:

: Well, whaddya know. We're gonna see Old Man Deckard, I guess. (Though "man" is obviously not the right term, since Scott believes him to be a Replicant.)

Ah, but Ford doesn't. So I imagine these "talks" will be about substantially more than salary.

Ford may not be in official talks, but Scott is writing off the idea of featuring Ford in the next BLADE RUNNER installment. From the new interview with Scott from Entertainment Weekly:

What can you tell me about the Blade Runner project?

We’re still in discussions about whether it should be a prequel or sequel. It’s an interesting conversation. I’m meeting with writers and I’ve also gone back to [original Blade Runner screenwriter] Hampton Fancher and he still speaks the speak. He’s right there. I spoke with him this week. But we don’t even have a script yet.

Did you hear about the rumors online that you were supposedly in talks with Harrison Ford to be in it?

No. Don’t know yet. Don’t know yet.

But you wouldn’t rule it out?

Absolutely not. But I’m not sure that that’s going to be a story point, so I don’t know. But if it were, nothing would please me more. Honestly.

But it sounds like you don’t even know yet if there would be a Rick Deckard character?

No. I don’t know.

So, right now, all there is is the concept of doing a Blade Runner film? Nothing more than that?

Right. I just thought Prometheus was so enjoyable — returning to the world of science fiction was so fun — that I wanted to [go back to Blade Runner, too]. I’m also thinking about what the hell I might do for a Prometheus 2.

Edited by Ryan H.

Tyler   

Blade Runner scribe Hampton Fancher is in talks to write the sequel.

...Blade Runner, which at this point is being considered a sequel, even though Alcon has gone on record that the next movie won’t focus on Ford’s character, who hunted replicants until he fell in love with one. According to Alcon, Scott and Fancher intended Blade Runner to be the first in a series of films, but that didn’t happen. Now they are taking their crack at the second installment.

FWIW, The Daily Beast ran a piece this morning in which Ridley Scott says, "I started my first meetings on the Blade Runner sequel last week. We have a very good take on it. And we’ll definitely be featuring a female protagonist."

I'm pleased Fancher's back.

I went from thinking "this is the worst idea ever" to "this might be good!" It might end up being terrible, but I'm at least mildly hopeful now.

I refuse to be hopeful, when being bitter and spiteful are more fun! ;)

Of his five writing credits? One is a video game (1997) that he did not write, but rather was based on his Blade Runner screenplay. Then there is the Mighty Quinn (1989), the Minus Man (1999) and he is given credit as a writer for Blade Runner 60: the Director's Cut (a short video) which is his most recent work. But that is not because he wrote it, but because it is based on Blade Runner.

Do androids age like electric sheep?

Tyler   

Michael Green might be brought in to rewrite the script.

In addition to [The Green] Lantern, Green worked on superhero projects The Flash and Fantastic Four. He recently completed rewrites on Robopocalypse, Steven Spielberg’s recently shelved sci-fi tentpole, as well as Warners’ Moses project Gods and Kings.

Michael Green might be brought in to rewrite the script.

In addition to [The Green] Lantern, Green worked on superhero projects The Flash and Fantastic Four.

Scanners.gif

Edited by John Drew

Tyler   

Sean Young wants you to boycott the movie if she's not in it.

Sean Young tries to tell Hollywood something sensible—like saying they should cast one of the city’s most notoriously difficult and unstable actresses, as a noticeably much older version of a character who's designed not to age—and for whatever reason, they choose to ignore her. Maybe they’re fed up. Maybe they want to be by themselves. Maybe they’re clinging to the few remaining strands of logic behind making more Blade Runner that they have left.

I was not aware that Paul W. S. Anderson's Soldier was actually an unofficial "sidequel" to Blade Runner. Per Wikipedia:

Soldier was written by David Peoples, who co-wrote the script for Blade Runner. By his own admission, he considers Soldier to be a "sidequel"/spiritual successor to Blade Runner. It also obliquely references various elements of stories written by Philip K. Dick (who wrote the novel "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?", on which Blade Runner is based), or film adaptations thereof. A "Spinner" vehicle from Blade Runner can be seen in the wreckage on a junk planet that features in the film.

There are also several dialogue references to events such as "Tannhauser Gate" from Blade Runner.

So Paul W.S. Anderson made follow-ups to *both* of Ridey Scott's sci-fi movies before Ridley Scott did? (The other being Alien Vs Predator, natch.)

The latest, raising the question: What kind of replicant would age to look like Harrison Ford does now?