World Music

Andrew

Anyone else out there who enjoys music of other cultures, with favorites to share?

Yesterday, for my work commute, I blew the dust off my Kronos Quartet recording, "Pieces of Africa." What a treat! This CD contains works by African composers, mixing traditional African instruments and vocals, with Western stringed instruments often used in unusual, creative ways. It's very accessible (and mostly melodic) modern classical music, conveying poignancy, exuberancy, or meditativeness (is that a word?) at different turns.

To be an artist is never to avert one's eyes.
- Akira Kurosawa

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/secularcinephile/

Yep, I think "Passion" is a terrific CD, too.

Another favorite of mine is the band Great Big Sea. Not exactly exotic world music, but definitely music of a different culture and time: they arrange traditional Newfoundland folk songs as well as their own regionally-based tunes, and play traditional instruments with a pop sensibility. Giddy, utterly hedonistic stuff...

To be an artist is never to avert one's eyes.
- Akira Kurosawa

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/secularcinephile/

Andrew wrote:

: Anyone else out there who enjoys music of other cultures, with favorites to share?

I can never hear Chinese music now without thinking of the soundtrack to The Last Emperor, which I bought when I was 17 and listened to frequently as I went to sleep. Ironically, the first half of the disc, by Ryuichi Sakamoto, uses a full-scale western-style orchestra, whereas the second half, which is mostly composed by David Byrne (of the Talking Heads), uses more traditional Chinese instrumentation. To this day, even when watching Chen Kaige's Together a week ago, I cannot hear music of that sort without thinking of those Byrne tracks.

I also used to listen quite a bit to an album of Tibetan chant that was released in conjunction with Little Buddha (and is not to be confused with the actual soundtrack to that film, which I also have).

Oh weird, I just realized that the first two items I mentioned are both connected to Bertolucci films.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.