Sign in to follow this  
Ron Reed

Three Colors: Blue, White, Red

Okay, so THREE COLORS: BLUE already got enough mentions to be on the Top 100 List. WHITE and RED, not quite.

Are all three equally spiritual? Are all three equally significant? Are all three equally strong artistically? (I've only seen one, the one about the eavesdropping judge. Very thought provoking, though I don't know that I would have pegged it for this list.)

Anybody?

I've posted a couple hundred of my Soul Food Movies write-ups at letterboxd

I'm not sure how to "measure" the spirituality of each. You'll get some argument from others on this point, but I do think "Blue" is the richest of the three, but both "Blue" and "Red" are great subjects for our purposes with this list. Peter may argue that "White" is equally deserving...

Ron, you gotta see these films. Several times.

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook, Twitter, and Google+.

"Forget it, Jake. It's Funkytown."    

Jeffrey Overstreet wrote:

: Peter may argue that "White" is equally deserving...

I certainly remember thinking it was the best of the films when I saw them more-or-less back-to-back several years ago. However, if the PFCC list is supposed to reflect more 'conventional' wisdom, then I would not be at all surprised if it were overlooked in favour of the others.

Question, though. In the list of PFCC nominees, series such as The Lord of the Rings, Star Wars and Dekalog were all counted as a single movie each. Given these precedents, why is the Three Colors trilogy being counted as three separate films?

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

Alan wrote:

: Please note this this isn't the PFCC list--it includes input from the whole

: website's user base.

Okay, whatever -- given that the website's name and identity are in a state of flux right now anyway, I just picked the first name that came to mind.

My point still stands. We should not be treating these three films as separate entries on the Promontory 101 list if we are going to treat those other trilogies and series as single entries each.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

We should not be treating these three films as separate entries on the Promontory 101 list if we are going to treat those other trilogies and series as single entries each.

Seems clear to me that LORD OF THE RINGS and the original STAR WARS trilogy stand as a unit: the story begun in the first installment continues in the second and culminates in the third.

Now, I haven't seen all three of the COLORS movies, but my understanding is that each of them is a distinct story, complete in itself. The films do reference each other, but are not part of a continuous narrative.

Have I got that right?

Ron wrote:

: Now, I haven't seen all three of the COLORS movies, but my

: understanding is that each of them is a distinct story, complete in itself.

: The films do reference each other, but are not part of a continuous

: narrative.

They are at LEAST as much of a continuous narrative as the TV mini-series Dekalog is. Arguably more so, in fact, since the closing scene in the third film brings all three films together, which I do not believe is the case with Dekalog.

Ron wrote:

: Now, I haven't seen all three of the COLORS movies, but my

: understanding is that each of them is a distinct story, complete in itself.  

: The films do reference each other, but are not part of a continuous

: narrative.

They are at LEAST as much of a continuous narrative as the TV mini-series Dekalog is.  Arguably more so, in fact, since the closing scene in the third film brings all three films together, which I do not believe is the case with Dekalog.

Yes, DEKALOG is the exception to the rule that governs all the rest. But I see no point in breaking DEKALOG into ten component parts: it's thought of as a whole, talked about as a whole. It was nominated as a whole. So, for our list, it stands as a single entity. As do the original STAR WARS films and the LOTR films. (I leave out the STAR WARS prequels for two reasons: people around here don't seem to regard them nearly as highly, and nobody nominated them.)

If others would like to argue along with Peter that the THREE COLORS films should be similarly bundled, I will have no objection to changing it: hey, it would free up two spots on the Top 100 list. But otherwise, they stay as separate entities - at least partly because they were nominated separately, and nobody thought to object until this point.

Ron wrote:

: If others would like to argue along with Peter that the THREE COLORS

: films should be similarly bundled, I will have no objection to changing it:

: hey, it would free up two spots on the Top 100 list.

Yeah, there is that point, too.

: But otherwise, they stay as separate entities - at least partly because they

: were nominated separately, and nobody thought to object until this point.

Given that Unforgiven was listed TWICE among the nominees, I think it should be fairly easy to concede that a few flaws made it through the process. smile.gif

Given that Unforgiven was listed TWICE among the nominees, I think it should be fairly easy to concede that a few flaws made it through the process.  :)

A careful observer will note a number of alphabetizational irregularities in the nomination list, though it is believed that the UNFORGIVEN example is the only instance in which this resulted in title duplication. The Committee hastens to assure all concerned Promontorians that the actual vote tally was carried out on a separate spreadsheet, in which no titles were duplicated, and all vote totals were cross-checked mathematically. Nothing further could possibly have gone worng.

My point still stands.  We should not be treating these three films as separate entries on the Promontory 101 list if we are going to treat those other trilogies and series as single entries each.

Amen! I second this. These are one film, one really long film. And they should occupy a spot in the top ten. If I recall correctly, these are the films that pretty much started this board years ago.

"...the vivid crossing of borders between film and theology may save the film from the banality of cinema and festival business, and it may also save the church from the deep sleep of the habitual and the always known."

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter

I'll go along. Three Colors is one film, not three. Count me as tipping the balance in that direction.

"During the contest trial, the Coleman team presented evidence of a further 6500 absentees that it felt deserved to be included under the process that had produced the prior 933 [submitted by Franken, rk]. The three judges finally defined what constituted a 'legal' absentee ballot. Countable ballots, for instance, had to contain the signature of the voter, complete registration information, and proper witness credentials.

But the panel only applied the standards going forward, severely reducing the universe of additional basentees the Coleman team could hope to have included. In the end, the three judges allowed about 350 additional absentees to be counted. The panel also did nothing about the hundreds, possibly thousands, of absentees that have already been legally included, yet are now 'illegal' according to the panel's own ex-post definition."

The Wall Street Journal editorial, April 18, 2009 concerning the Franken Coleman decision in the Minnesota U.S. Senate race of 2008.

We should not be treating these three films as separate entries on the Promontory 101 list if we are going to treat those other trilogies and series as single entries each.

I am in alignment with this. They are all excellent movies individually but they are complete when together. This should be considered as a single entry, Three Colors: Blue, White and Red.

...the kind of film criticism we do. We are talking about life, and more than that the possibility of abundant life." -M.Leary

"Dad, how does she move in mysterious ways?"" -- Jude (my 5-year-old, after listening to Mysterious Ways)

[once upon a time known here as asher]

Cool. So it is, and so shall it be. I'll amend the posted lists accordingly. This means that the various THREE COLOURS films appeared on 10 separate lists.

(Actually, I need to run this by the Queen first, but if Lizzie has no objections...)

Personally, I regard Three Colours as three films. By the same token, Star Wars is six films, The Godfather three, etc. This way it becomes possible to adore Blue but hate Red, for example. I don't understand this modern tendency to merge sequels. Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi don't even share the same director, so how on earth can they be regarded as one film?

We are part of the generation in which the image has triumphed over the word, when the visual is dominant over the verbal and where entertainment drowns out exposition. We may go so far as to claim that we live in an age of the image which is also the age of anti-word and potentially is the age of the lie. ~ Os Guiness

So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God (Romans 10:17)

Well, I just got Blue and White in the mail today from Netflix, and Red is next up in my queue. (I'm on the 2-out-at-a-time plan.) I'm planning to give Blue a spin at about 9:00 this evening, Eastern time. I've read Jeff Overstreet's review; anyone who sees this before 9 and wants to give me some viewing tips, they'd be much appreciated! smile.gif

Edward Curtis

Morgantown, WV

Hold the physician in honor, for he is essential to you, and God it was who created his profession. Sirach 38:1 NAB

My only viewing tip is obvious... don't watch them out of order. Though I think in terms of quality they go backwards.

I have seen Blue, and I give it a big thumbs up. What really struck me (and this was discussed in one of the featurettes as well) was how Julie tried to cut herself off from the world, but

in the ending sequence we see all the people she has affected through the course of the story.

The film reinforces the old adage "No (wo)man is an island".

White is on deck for sometime next week.

Edward Curtis

Morgantown, WV

Hold the physician in honor, for he is essential to you, and God it was who created his profession. Sirach 38:1 NAB

Winter/Spring 1996.

These three films literally changed my life and the way I view all art in general. Seeing the entirety of The Decalogue on the big screen at Facets in the same year was enough to seal my fate. Yes, Asher, you are right about me. I love these boards, these people, these movies. But reading the thread I know what I've been missing: a recent visit to Anything Kieslowski. I need to correct this, and soon. Perhaps since it's been ten years Veronique belongs somewhere in my film queue. Speaking of which, Doug -- can't somebody SOMEWHERE do something about getting this gem distributed?

When it comes to Kieslowski, I have a hard time stopping with the mention of Blue, White and Red. It would seem that all of his movies are a woven grand adventure.

-s.

In an interstellar burst, I am back to save the Universe.

Filmsweep by Persona. 2013 Film Journal. IlPersona.

When it comes to Kieslowski, I have a hard time stopping with the mention of Blue, White and Red.  It would seem that all of his movies are a woven grand adventure.

I know you're a fan of HEAVEN, as well, which I saw this summer and really liked. Just realized that, though HELL is going to be in this year's Vancouver International Film Festival, I'll be out of town when it's showing. Hell!

When it comes to Kieslowski, I have a hard time stopping with the mention of Blue, White and Red.

...the kind of film criticism we do. We are talking about life, and more than that the possibility of abundant life." -M.Leary

"Dad, how does she move in mysterious ways?"" -- Jude (my 5-year-old, after listening to Mysterious Ways)

Winter/Spring 1996.
Edited by asher

Stef, Artificial Eye in the UK should be releasing Veronique on DVD sometime soon.

L'Enfer played here at TIFF this week, and Darren and my friend Candace saw it and liked it.

This was the best thread I found for the topic - so here goes:

DeepDiscountDVD is having a sale on a lot of titles - Buy 2, get 1 free. Among those is all three of the Kieslowski Three Colors trilogy.

They have free shipping, so you get all 3 films for around 18.00. (You don't get the box, but all 3 discs have all of the special features of the box set.)

Link to DDD.

Edited by Clint M

Stef, Artificial Eye in the UK should be releasing Veronique on DVD sometime soon.

I missed this when it was posted last time, but I have to say that this is the best DVD news I've heard in a long time, possibly ever.

Now if I can get someone to put out The Conformist on DVD, I'll be able to rest.