2008: The Year in Jazz

Thanks to this group, I tracked down a copy of Brian Blade's release. Enjoyable and it is getting better with each listen. I'd like to call it my favourite jazz album of the year, but it is the only new jazz release I bought. That said, it stacks up very well with anything I've bough in recent years.

Thanks for the recommendation!

• 2 weeks later...

Forgive me for cross-posting, but this might better be placed here rather than the "Best Music of 2008?" thread, where I originally posted it.

For Christmas, my dad gave me Aaron Parks

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

Guest thom_jurek
Forgive me for cross-posting, but this might better be placed here rather than the "Best Music of 2008?" thread, where I originally posted it.

For Christmas, my dad gave me Aaron Parks

• 1 month later...

ArtsJournal just linked me to the 3rd Annual Village Voice Jazz Critics Poll, which is worth reading at length. Number 1: Sonny Rollins. But check out the runners up:

[J]ust below Rollins in the standings lies evidence of a remarkable

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

• 1 month later...

Borders is having a CD "clearance," with numerous titles marked down 40%. This is sad; it means the titles being cleared out won't be replaced, and the Borders music selection will shrink even more. But it's a blessing, too, allowing music fans to pick up CDs on the cheap.

I stopped by today with $10 in my pocket. Just to look, ya know? ;)

Hey, look, there's the latest James Carter CD, "Present Tense" -- the one Josh and Thom raved about over in the "2008: The Year in Jazz" thread! Let's scan it in and listen. Yeah. Oh yeah! With a discount, it's just $8.99 plus tax, so the price is right.

But before I go, let me just check the other titles. Oh, there's Cyrus Chestnut's "Cyrus Plays Elvis," which I thought my wife -- a huge Elvis fan -- might enjoy, even though my initial listen to it months ago didn't thrill me. But it's 40% off, and Mother's Day is coming, and ... Hey, I'm still thinking about the demise of our local Classic Rock radio station, and I've been wanting that Ray Davies CD, "Working Man's Cafe," for at least a year, maybe two. It's not discounted, but I've got a 30% off Borders Rewards coupon in my wallet and ...

Call the wife. Negotiate a purchase. Promise to give one of the CDs to yourself later as a "gift," perhaps for Father's Day. Tell myself that my wife will love "Cyrus Plays Elvis," even though it'll be me, not her, who listens to it. (I'm hoping to take Sarah to see Cyrus at Blues Alley this spring, although I may have waited too long to purchase tickets.)

Total: $33 plus change.

Savings: $18.50

And that $10 in my pocket? I threw it all into our montly money envelope, which means I may see it again in the form of some joint purchase. But it depletes my spending money for the next few weeks.

That James Carter CD better be real good.

It is! I'm listening to it now. Every time I look in my wallet for money to buy something this month, and come up empty, I'll put "Present Tense" on and tell myself I did the right thing.

Edited by Christian

• 3 years later...

Joshua Redman performs "Riddle Me This," from Aaron Parks' Invisible Cinema:

Edited by Christian