Sign in to follow this  
Overstreet

The Lord's Gym

Great. Jesus under the burden of the cross doing push-ups. I am not making this up.

Lord's Gym also fosters a non-sex driven environment where men and women can exercise without the discomfort of gawkers and those flaunting their bodies openly. A moderate dress code is encouraged at all franchise locations as well as spiritually focused music and music videos.

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

8O

Wow. I wonder if this is where the "Power Team" works out? biggrin.gif

Sign me up for the "Chariots of Fire" spin. And they have an aerobics room, too. It's good that all those "Christian aerobics" records and videos that used to be sold in Christian bookstores won't go to waste.

I'm sure the T-shirts will be a big hit. Of course, that design does look awfully similar to those "God's Gym" T-shirts that used to be all the rage. It would be the height of irony if there was a lawsuit.

Shouldn't this thread be under the "Humor" section? Nothing like good 'ol fashion separatism into Christian subculture enclaves. By the way, how does a Christian man "spot" a Christian woman or vice versa doing a bench press in a gym like that?

Brandon

"God is so great and merciful that he does not require that we name him precisely. God is even willing to be anonymous for a time. Remember how God led the Three Wise Men from the East to Christ? The Wise Men did not know the God of Israel or Jesus. They worshipped the stars. So God used a star to lure them."--The Twelve Steps for Christians

myspace-animation-codes121.gif

I'm sure the T-shirts will be a big hit.  Of course, that design does look awfully similar to those \"God's Gym\" T-shirts that used to be all the rage.  It would be the height of irony if there was a lawsuit.

Wasn't the "God's Gym" idea originally stolen from "Gold's Gym"? The typical Christian art way.

...the kind of film criticism we do. We are talking about life, and more than that the possibility of abundant life." -M.Leary

"Dad, how does she move in mysterious ways?"" -- Jude (my 5-year-old, after listening to Mysterious Ways)

[once upon a time known here as asher]

Wasn't the "God's Gym" idea originally stolen from "Gold's Gym"? The typical Christian art way.

Yes it was. If I remember correctly, this was one of a number of pop culture images and logos that was tweaked for the obligatory "redeemed" use at the time. I'm not much of a logo guy to begin with (I don't like to advertise swooshes, aligators and polo players on my clothes if I can help it), so it wasn't much of a stretch for me to be disgusted with this sort of thing.

"During the contest trial, the Coleman team presented evidence of a further 6500 absentees that it felt deserved to be included under the process that had produced the prior 933 [submitted by Franken, rk]. The three judges finally defined what constituted a 'legal' absentee ballot. Countable ballots, for instance, had to contain the signature of the voter, complete registration information, and proper witness credentials.

But the panel only applied the standards going forward, severely reducing the universe of additional basentees the Coleman team could hope to have included. In the end, the three judges allowed about 350 additional absentees to be counted. The panel also did nothing about the hundreds, possibly thousands, of absentees that have already been legally included, yet are now 'illegal' according to the panel's own ex-post definition."

The Wall Street Journal editorial, April 18, 2009 concerning the Franken Coleman decision in the Minnesota U.S. Senate race of 2008.

Dan,

I hear what you are saying and I TOTALLY agree with ya. But let me ask you this. Is there ANY place in the Christian subculture (shouldn't we be counter-culture?) for "the ghetto?" I'm thinking monks and monasteries. There is a difference between these and what the Amish do and the ghetto of which you speak.

Also, doesn't the incarnation tell us SOMETHING of Jesus' identity? That is that the incarnation means that Jesus

Brandon

"God is so great and merciful that he does not require that we name him precisely. God is even willing to be anonymous for a time. Remember how God led the Three Wise Men from the East to Christ? The Wise Men did not know the God of Israel or Jesus. They worshipped the stars. So God used a star to lure them."--The Twelve Steps for Christians

Dan,

I hear what you are saying and I TOTALLY agree with ya. But let me ask you this. Is there ANY place in the Christian subculture (shouldn't we be counter-culture?) for "the ghetto?" I'm thinking monks and monasteries. There is a difference between these and what the Amish do and the ghetto of which you speak.

I believe the idea of retreat is well documented in the Gospels. But it never lasted more than 40 days for Christ. And its been about 60 years for the church.

Also, doesn't the incarnation tell us SOMETHING of Jesus' identity? That is that the incarnation means that Jesus

Yep. I'm agreeing here. Just think'n out loud.

Brandon

(shouldn't we be counter-culture?) for "the ghetto?"

I say NO on both counts. Pure counter-culture breeds ingrown doctrine, culture, and prejudices. I speak from experience. It is one thing to be driven from culture by actual corporeal outside forces. To dissent en masse from culture with your feet is to set one's succeeding generations back intellectually and culturally and to deprive wider society of what is perceived by the group to be salt and light. Nothing could be further from what Christ wants and what He prayed for in Jn 17. Oh, and the Great Commission. Pannenberg says that we must earn the right every day to name the name of Christ. Walking away from the marketplace is the same as a forfeit.

"During the contest trial, the Coleman team presented evidence of a further 6500 absentees that it felt deserved to be included under the process that had produced the prior 933 [submitted by Franken, rk]. The three judges finally defined what constituted a 'legal' absentee ballot. Countable ballots, for instance, had to contain the signature of the voter, complete registration information, and proper witness credentials.

But the panel only applied the standards going forward, severely reducing the universe of additional basentees the Coleman team could hope to have included. In the end, the three judges allowed about 350 additional absentees to be counted. The panel also did nothing about the hundreds, possibly thousands, of absentees that have already been legally included, yet are now 'illegal' according to the panel's own ex-post definition."

The Wall Street Journal editorial, April 18, 2009 concerning the Franken Coleman decision in the Minnesota U.S. Senate race of 2008.

I'm speaking of being counter-culture while NOT walking away from the marketplace though. I think the more one tries to get away from culture the more they realize they are a part of it and are embedded in it and it in them.

Brandon

So I guess I don't understand the use of the term "counter-culture" then. I've always thought it to refer to the act of disdaining the greater culture and exempting the group for either reactionary, or avant garde purposes.