Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Peter T Chattaway

Twilight

63 posts in this topic

7wd0QyNNLp2lxoc4GDeFQseJo1_400.jpg

The only way I could ever be tempted to watch a Twilight movie ...

omgosh, i gotta admit, that is *hilarious*! where did you get that (asking 'cause i'd selfishily love to post and attribute it on my blog)?!

for what it's worth, i read the book some months ago (about which i had mixed feelings) but only just recently saw the movie. perhaps i read the book too close to seeing the film (which, on my part anyway, lead to a rather disappointing experience), but suffice to say, imho, the presence in Persiflage's photo would have made the movie a tad more, er, interesting, heh.

7wd0QyNNLp2lxoc4GDeFQseJo1_400.jpg

Love it!

Oh, by the way, for those who haven't yet experienced the RiffTraxed version of Twilight yet, you really should check it out. There aren't too many times in my life that I've literally laughed until I cried, but this was one of them. :P

Edited by Gina

Oh, by the way, for those who haven't yet experienced the RiffTraxed version of Twilight yet, you really should check it out. There aren't too many times in my life that I've literally laughed until I cried, but this was one of them. :P

Can't say I laughed that hard, but the Benny Hill (?) riff at the end of the sample was choice. :)

Can't say I laughed that hard, but the Benny Hill (?) riff at the end of the sample was choice. :)

That was my favorite part. :)

where did you get that (asking 'cause i'd selfishily love to post and attribute it on my blog)?!

I first saw it here - Best Twilight Picture Ever

But doesn't look like Campea knows where it's from either.

Sidebar:

the morning version of Marketplace on NPR today ended with a note about the increased tourism in Forks, WA. The visitors center is getting questions like "Is it safe to camp around here with all the vampire activity?"

I remember in Galaxy Quest the race that had no concept of fiction. They live among us and visit the Pacific Northwest.

I read that story and for some reason all I can think is "it's like a sick(er) 'Parker's Back.'"

And with that I hope never to post in a Twilight thread again.

Minotaurs are the new vampires. (The Onion)

the planned trilogy about a bad-boy minotaur who transfers to a new high school and eventually falls for the one girl who can see the pain and sensitivity behind his brooding exterior. "Plus, labyrinths are really hot right now." The first installment of Razorbill's minotaur series is slated to hit shelves on Dec. 14, the same date three rival publishers will release novels featuring a bad-boy mummy, a bad-boy cyclops, and a bad-boy Mayan vision serpent.

Hardwicke Fired Off 'Twilight' Franchise

So the rumors are true. I've confirmed that Summit Entertainment is taking Twilight director Catherine Hardwicke off the sequel in this big new franchise. No doubt my posting this will speed up the studio's announcement, and Summit will surely try to spin this as all going down amicably. But that's only true between Summit and Hardwicke's CAA agent, not with the director herself. Worse, this terrible news for Hardwicke comes just as she and the Twilight cast are on their European press tour. No doubt, tomorrow's interviews in France will now focus entirely on what, if anything, Catherine did to deserve this treatment. This also could blow up into a scandal for Summit if it chooses a male director over Hardwicke, whose Twilight easily beat Mimi Leder's 1998 Deep Impact box office gross as the biggest opener for a female director. That was a record embraced by Hollywood feminists as a sign of growing gal power. Now Hardwicke's career will surely be damaged by this very public firing. Summit already has started preparing the Twilight sequel New Moon, based on Meyer's second book in the series, and, to contain costs, the studio is considering making Meyer's third book Eclipse back to back). . . .

Nikki Finke, Deadline Hollywood Daily, December 7

Catherine Hardwicke: Hollywood's Most Powerful Female Director

For Twilight, Hardwicke had trouble finding an actor otherworldly enough to play vampire Edward Cullen. Then she got a call about a guy in London. “I looked at a couple pictures and was like, ‘I’m not sure,’?” Hardwicke says. “He had been fired from his last job, he was unemployed, he was in debt.” Pattinson flew to Los Angeles on his own dime to read with Stewart. “I have footage of their first meeting at my dining-room table,” Hardwicke says. “Kristen was like, ‘It’s got to be Rob!’ She felt connected to him from the first moment. That electricity, or love at first sight, or whatever it is.” Hardwicke gave him the part, but he had to make a promise. “You’ve got to realize that Kristen is 17 years old,” she told him. “She’s underage. You’ve got to focus, dude, or you’re going to be arrested. I made him swear on a stack of Bibles.”

Despite Twilight’s $400 million global success, Hardwicke left the franchise when it came to the sequel. She said it was her decision, despite a blog report that she was fired. “I couldn’t even be fired, that’s what’s so funny,” she says. “In my contract, I had the first right of refusal.” She turned down the second film, she says, because the studio wanted to rush it out. “I do not regret it at all, thank the Lord,” she says. “The truth is I liked the first book the best.” . . .

The Daily Beast, March 1

- - -

The bit about K-Stew being "underage" (in California and some other states, sure, but not in the UK, or Canada, or...) when she was hired for the original Twilight, combined with those images we've seen of the wedding-night scene in Breaking Dawn, get me wondering: How often have we seen a "child" actor cast in a child's role, and then seen that actor/character put in more mature situations as they get older?

The topless clinch that Harry and Hermione get into in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part I comes to mind here; strictly speaking, the CHARACTERS aren't doing anything there, since it's just a vision designed to make Ron jealous; but the ACTORS were certainly doing something there that they wouldn't have been expected to do when they were first hired to play those characters over a decade ago.