Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
M. Leary

Time of the Wolf plug

8 posts in this topic

I didn't see this on the first 32, and I am assuming that is just because some of us haven't seen it yet. But this really is a significant film, rivalling Code Unknown in sheer volume of scathing erudition and would like to request that people vote for it even if they haven't seen it yet.

"and would like to request that people vote for it even if they haven't seen it yet."

heh, THAT'S what I call a plug. I'm not sure that in final voting, we will be able to do that. but I will look it up and see if I can find it.

The film is playing at the Siskel Film Center in Chicago on Saturday the 24th. Get to it if you can. I double, no i triple Leary's request for a vote here even if you haven't seen it.

Ron, please record a vote for Time of the Wolf even though i already voted. I have plenty of votes left.

OH, and how did All or Nothing not make the list?

-s.

Ron, please record a vote for Time of the Wolf even though i already voted.  I have plenty of votes left.

smile.gif

All in due time, lad. All in due time.

Bear in mind that your first round list was used to give a sort of "Honorary Placement" to an initial batch of films, and to eliminate a bunch of others. Starting this weekend we do a fresh round of voting, open to everybody who's a registered user of this discussion board: anybody who can make a post is a registered user, and is invited to vote on the next 40 or 50 films to be added to the list. Make sure you have a look at the Selection Process thread to get a clear idea of how that voting will be carried out.

Getting back to the WOLF... It's definitely possible to vote for a film one hasn't seen. But you guys will have to give us a bit more about this one to convince us, I'd say, because it's so little known. I'll likely vote for AU HASARD BALTHAZAR and ORDET simply because they so clearly belong on the list: even though I've not seen either in their entirety, I know their reputation among Christian film buffs, have read lots about them, it seems obvious they should be listed and I don't want my lack of having seen them to stand in their way. But all I know about TIME OF THE WOLF so far is that Chicagoans (and Jeff) are in love with it.

Want to make your case?

But all I know about TIME OF THE WOLF so far is that Chicagoans (and Jeff) are in love with it.

In love with it, yes... but haven't seen it. :?

But all I know about TIME OF THE WOLF so far is that Chicagoans (and Jeff) are in love with it.

In love with it, yes... but haven't seen it. :?

Just Chicagoans, then.

Mike, stef: I think you better make sure your very busy friend JBob joins you in voting for this one...

Time of the Wolf, directed by Michael Haneke, is breathtaking for other reasons. His take-no-prisoners approach makes for difficult but extremely rewarding viewing. Isabelle Huppert stars as a mother of two trying to survive after an unnamed catastrophe has occurred. This apocalyptic tale is challenging in many ways (animals are killed on screen, for instance), but Haneke's spectacular nighttime cinematography, rigorous narrative, and almost spiritual conclusions are profound and well worth your time.

The Chicago Film Festival reminded us of the power of world cinema, with Time of the Wolf the second film on my list (Good Bye, Dragon Inn also appeared at the fest). Directed by Austrian filmmaker Michael Haneke, Time of the Wolf is a rigorous, difficult and mind-blowing film. Taking place after some apocalyptic event, the story features a band of characters struggling to survive. The film features a take-no-prisoners approach, but no film of 2003 so powerfully detailed the basic nature of the human condition.

Time of the Wolf (Michael Haneke). Haneke is on a roll. He seems to have the filmic version of the Midas Touch, not in terms of monetary returns, but rather in terms of aesthetic greatness

That quote towards the beginning is Haneke talking about himself, it is the only quote I have ever seen from him actually talking about himself and his films.

As good as these reviews are, there is still way too much to say about the film. It really is one of the best examples I can think of that deals with what we usually call around here the "spiritual" nature of films that aren't done by intentionally "spiritual" people.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0