Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

What did we miss? (IE Top100 '05)

140 posts in this topic

If we want to be intentional about spreading out into some older films, The Ox-Bow Incident is certainly worth a look. It's worth a look on its own merits, not just its age.

Has anyone mentioned The Third Miracle, starring Ed Harris and Anne Heche. Harris plays a Catholic priest who is sent to investigate a miracle. I love both actors, but the film still surprised me.

Has anyone mentioned The Third Miracle, starring Ed Harris and Anne Heche. Harris plays a Catholic priest who is sent to investigate a miracle. I love both actors, but the film still surprised me.

It was within 2 votes of making the list. Results of round two voting.

Kristin Lavransdatter--some of the reasons for nominating this one are discussed in its thread, I believe. Christian theology and morality are taken seriously in this film, and it presents a very powerful portrait of faithful Christian marriage which is ultimately timeless, although set in medieval Scandinavia. Stunning cinematography by Sven Nyqvist, and a beautiful score.

To End All Wars--This film had scarcely been seen when the 2004 list was done. It's now available on DVD and though it's not perfect, certainly deserves to be better known. Wish everyone could read the book first, though.

Heart of Light--I already nominated this once; I'll just second the motion. It's available from Netflix, if you haven't seen it.

The Reckoning--actually, if it had ended the way the book (Barry Unsworth's Morality Play) does, it would have been a better candidate. Nevertheless, I'll toss it in.

Hi all,

been enjoying lurking here. Saw what I thought was a phenomenal older film last night: Heavens Above, with Peter Sellers. One of the best treatments of the confluence of charity, church and society I've seen, and all done within a comedic format. Anyone else seen it or wish to second it? Its available on Netflix.

side note--the Netflix logo was imprinted onto the disk we got. Does Netflix actually buy the printing (I guess I should say "burning") rights for some movies??? Just wondering.

Hi Paul,

Not seen , but just to say welcome to the boards - I'm glad you've de-lurked!

Matt

Is Heavens Above the Boulting Brothers' film in which Sellers plays an idealistic vicar who is exploited both by the church hierarchy and by the very poor that he is trying to reach? That's how I seem to remember the story playing out, at any rate -- it's been nearly a decade since I saw it.

I'll make my annual plea for Wit - this film definitely belongs in the Top 100! Has anyone else besides me seen it?

To broaden the genre reach and suggest three exemplary films, I nominate:

Anime:

Haibane Renmei, a series I watched last year and was blown away by--it's now my favorite anime ever (replacing Grave of the Fireflies, a no less worthy nomination.) Here is a decent introductory review.

Horror:

Jacques Tourneur's Night of the Demon. Here is a decent review of the DVD.

Western:

Jacques Tourneur's Stars in My Crown. Here is a talky but decent review.

...and I still insist on Safe.

Doug, at GreenCine I find four *volumes* of Haibane Renmei; were you referring the the entire work, or a specific volume? Or did I get it wrong?

No, it's 13 episodes that are 30 minutes each, and Pioneer annoyingly spread it out over four DVDs in order to make more money off it. The first five episodes establish the characters and the rules of its alternate world, but episode six begins to push it into high gear (thematically and emotionally) and it never lets up. It's very artful and profound (and surprisingly amiable to Christian thought).

Alan, when you get that Demon DVD, make sure you watch the longer British cut, Night of the Demon, and not the shorter American cut (called Curse of...). It's a truly great film.

Is Heavens Above the Boulting Brothers' film in which Sellers plays an idealistic vicar who is exploited both by the church hierarchy and by the very poor that he is trying to reach?  That's how I seem to remember the story playing out, at any rate -- it's been nearly a decade since I saw it.

Yep, that's the one. Very enjoyable "small" feeling film.

Another nomination that I haven't seen mentioned here yet (correct me if I'm wrong) is a made for cable film called Deacons For Defense, a film about a group of black churchmen organizing for civil rights in Louisiana. Very interesting film.

Two stunning short films:

Guy Maddin's The Heart of the World

Forough Farrokhzad's The House is Black

Genesis (La G