Sign in to follow this  
Peter T Chattaway

Gulliver's Travels

Jack Black preps for 'Travels'

Twentieth Century Fox is moving forward with a bigscreen adaptation of

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

Why is this the only part of the story that ever makes it to the screen?

A foreign movie can't be stupid.

-from the film
Armin

The film I grew up with -- sorry, don't know which director, actor, or year -- had both Gulliver among the little people and Gulliver among the big people. Nothing else, though.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

The film I grew up with -- sorry, don't know which director, actor, or year -- had both Gulliver among the little people and Gulliver among the big people. Nothing else, though.

::blushing:: There's more besides those two bits?

Matt

Houyhnhnms! I demand houyhnhnms and yahoos!

"A director must live with the fact that his work will be called to judgment by someone who has never seen a film of Murnau's." - François Truffaut

Twitter.
Letterboxd.

Reviews and essays at Three Brothers Film.

Blunt, Segel added to 'Travels'

Twentieth Century Fox is negotiating with Emily Blunt and Jason Segel to join Jack Black in "Gulliver's Travels," the Rob Letterman-directed reimagining of the classic Jonathan Swift tale. . . .

Blunt will play a Lilliputian princess and Black's love interest. Segel will play Horatio, Gulliver's best friend from Lilliput who helps rescue Gulliver when he's captured. . . .

Variety, January 29

Emily Blunt, Jason Segel seek 'Travels'

Nicholas Stoller, who directed Segel in "Forgetting Sarah Marshall," wrote the screenplay with Joe Stillman.

Hollywood Reporter, January 29

will be released in 3D, as will Gulliver's Travels.

I'm not sure I could handle an unabridged version with Jack Black - giant Gulliver putting out the princess's fire personally would be too much (or maybe not?).

[edit] speaking of the scatological... wouldn't Jack Black be great in the Adventures of Gargantua and Pantagruel?

Edited by Fred K

Good to see the Lost opening-eye extreme close-up shot is still getting some use.

Thus ends the nice things I have to say about that trailer.

It's the side effects that save us.
--The National, "Graceless"
Twitter Blog

Good to see the Lost opening-eye extreme close-up shot is still getting some use.

Thus ends the nice things I have to say about that trailer.

Catherine Tate should be funny (although, admittedly, I've only seen her in Doctor Who and one or two comedy sketches).

And there go my kind words.

Edited by NBooth

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEKDpc7U_5k

Oh, and check out Drew McWeeny's NSFW reaction to the movie's official plot synopsis.

Jack Black invariably leaves me cold, but that was pretty funny. (And I guess I'll have to admit that, bad as "Little Drummer Boy" is, that particular version--the one based on the Bowie-Crosby duet--always gets me, no matter who sings it. I know, I know.)

On another note: I had assumed that this movie was confined to Lilliput, but I'm pretty sure I saw a tv spot somewhere that featured Black in a doll's house a la Brobdingnag. What gives? (And why do all these over-the=pond comedians I love in their own programs act in sucky movies like this when they go to the bigscreen? Chris O'Dowd is hilarious in The IT Crowd, and I posted above about my affection for what-I've-seen of Catherine Tate. Why can't they be in something good?)

Edited by NBooth

I'm not sure I could handle an unabridged version with Jack Black - giant Gulliver putting out the princess's fire personally would be too much (or maybe not?).

As it turns out, Jack Black DOES put out a fire, um, personally in this film.

Incidentally, it wasn't until after I saw the film that I realized the theatre hadn't even offered it in 3D. Interesting. As it happens, I believe this past weekend marks the first time that there have been FIVE 3D movies in the Top Ten at the same time -- but even though it was the newest of the films, Gulliver's Travels still opened behind three of them, at #7, with a first-weekend gross of only $7.2 million, thus leading David Poland to proclaim this film "the beginning of the end of live-action studio 3D".

Oh, and I have to say there is a WASTED opportunity here, inasmuch as the film flirts with something that I have always wanted to see, but it never quite goes there. Specifically, I have always wanted to see Lilliputians and Brobdingnagians on the screen at the same time, with Gulliver being sort of in-between the two, and the film ALMOST goes there, by showing Jason Segel visiting Jack Black inside the girl's dollhouse. But do we actually see the Lilliputian and the Brobdingnagian at the same time? Noooo, of course not, because that might have required some sort of, I dunno, creative vision or something.

Disclaimer: I have been known to find Jack Black amusing in movies where he's not completely out of control (e.g., School of Rock, Nacho Libre, Orange County, Kung Fu Panda). I realize I have just lost all credibility as a film viewer by that statement. Sue me.

As it turns out, Jack Black DOES put out a fire, um, personally in this film.

Yes...well, people are always complaining that movies aren't faithful to the books they're based on. This scene is straight out of the book. Those proper 18th century guys! Such wacky comedians!

Incidentally, it wasn't until after I saw the film that I realized the theatre hadn't even offered it in 3D. Interesting. As it happens, I believe this past weekend marks the first time that there have been FIVE 3D movies in the Top Ten at the same time -- but even though it was the newest of the films, Gulliver's Travels still opened behind three of them, at #7, with a first-weekend gross of only $7.2 million, thus leading David Poland to proclaim this film "the beginning of the end of live-action studio 3D".

Saw it in 3D. I can't recall any scenes that seemed worth it, but I don't know why it would "end live-action studio 3D" either.

Oh, and I have to say there is a WASTED opportunity here, inasmuch as the film flirts with something that I have always wanted to see, but it never quite goes there. Specifically, I have always wanted to see Lilliputians and Brobdingnagians on the screen at the same time, with Gulliver being sort of in-between the two, and the film ALMOST goes there, by showing Jason Segel visiting Jack Black inside the girl's dollhouse. But do we actually see the Lilliputian and the Brobdingnagian at the same time? Noooo, of course not, because that might have required some sort of, I dunno, creative vision or something.

I agree the scenario described might have been entertaining and/or creative, but the books don't go there either. I get the point of this sequence in the movie, but it was the least effective and least funny, for me.

There is this difference between the growth of some human beings and that of others: in the one case it is a continuous dying, in the other a continuous resurrection. (George MacDonald, The Princess and Curdie)

Isn't narrative structure enough of an ideology for art? (Greg Wright)

BethR wrote:

: Yes...well, people are always complaining that movies aren't faithful to the books they're based on. This scene is straight out of the book. Those proper 18th century guys! Such wacky comedians!

Does the book also include a bit where a Lilliputian disappears up Gulliver's butt-crack when he falls over?

: . . . I don't know why it would "end live-action studio 3D" either.

It's not a question of whether the 3D was any good, but whether the cost of the 3D conversion was justified by any increased revenues. As it turns out, the film just may be the biggest 3D flop since the format went mainstream with Avatar. But, then again, that may also be because the market is increasingly crowded with 3D films; like I say, this week probably marks the first time that there have been five 3D films in the weekly Top Ten, and it may be that even some of the bigger theatres (like the 12-screen multiplex where I saw the film) don't have enough 3D-capable projectors to cover all those films.

: I agree the scenario described might have been entertaining and/or creative, but the books don't go there either.

I suspected as much. But still, the movie ALMOST goes there, and I wanted it to go all the way. Ah well.

: I get the point of this sequence in the movie, but it was the least effective and least funny, for me.

No argument there.

It's rare that a PG movie gets slapped with an O (Morally Offensive) rating by the Catholic News Service (or its predecessor, the USCCB Film Office). "Grease" is one example. And now you can add Jack Black's "Gulliver's Travels" to the list:

http://www.catholicnews.com/data/movies/10mv133.htm

Edward Curtis

Morgantown, WV

Hold the physician in honor, for he is essential to you, and God it was who created his profession. Sirach 38:1 NAB

BethR wrote:

: Yes...well, people are always complaining that movies aren't faithful to the books they're based on. This scene is straight out of the book. Those proper 18th century guys! Such wacky comedians!

Does the book also include a bit where a Lilliputian disappears up Gulliver's butt-crack when he falls over?

I don't think so, but it does give a detailed account of how Gulliver & the Lilliputians deal with the "necessities of nature":

From this time my constant practice was, as soon as I rose, to perform that business in open air, at the full extent of my chain; and due care was taken every morning before company came, that the offensive matter should be carried off in wheel-barrows, by two servants appointed for that purpose.

And there are some passages later in the book that are much more questionable. The Catholics might want to read it again. Or not. But most of those bits are peripheral to Swift's main satirical purposes.

There is this difference between the growth of some human beings and that of others: in the one case it is a continuous dying, in the other a continuous resurrection. (George MacDonald, The Princess and Curdie)

Isn't narrative structure enough of an ideology for art? (Greg Wright)

This film has never placed higher then #8 in North America, but apparently it's #1 in Great Britain! What gives?