Sign in to follow this  
Christian

Caffeine Content

These charts never cease to surprise me.

Starbucks Brewed Coffee > Dunkin Donuts > Stabucks Espresso < Ben & Jerry's Coffee Heath Bar Crunch

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

Sigh. The chart is somewhat helpful, but it's also really misleading. Sometimes it helps to know why something is more caffeinated than not. Simple rule of thumb regarding coffee and caffeine: the caffeine difference between coffee beans is minute, and depends more on the roast. The darker the roast, the less caffeine. I'm pretty sure Starbucks espresso blend is really heavily roasted / prepared different, since their double shot has the same caffeine content as a single shot in most other places. That said, an espresso shot usually has the same caffeine content as a 6

The darker the roast, the less caffeine. I'm pretty sure Starbucks espresso blend is really heavily roasted

Did you get this backward, or am I misreading? Starbucks was tops in caffeine on the chart and is heavily roasted, so it has more caffeine, not less, right? (Maybe I need some more coffee. Hey, wait -- I'm sipping on a freshly brewed cup right now...)

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

Did you get this backward, or am I misreading?

No and no. I could be wrong, but Starbucks probably puts more ground coffee than they should in the filters when they brew their drip coffee (kind of like adding five tablespoons of sugar to your cereal instead of one).

Think about this: coffee beans have caffeine in them. Roasting these beans at ~400 degrees F for dozens of minutes burns caffeine away. So, the darker the roast, the less caffeine. Not everyone measures the same, though, so these can vary.

Example: the admissions office at Geneva has two drip machines. They uses some heinous pre-ground stuff, using a certain number of scoops per carafe of water. One student receptionist always adds twice that amount, though, and he calls it 'bold' coffee. It's just over saturated, and has more caffeine as a result.

Example: the admissions office at Geneva has two drip machines. They uses some heinous pre-ground stuff, using a certain number of scoops per carafe of water. One student receptionist always adds twice that amount, though, and he calls it 'bold' coffee. It's just over saturated, and has more caffeine as a result.

Kids. Go figure. I can taste that tactic a mile off and it's why I usually bring my own to work. But Jason, if I read you correctly, his "bold" brew will have more caffeine, yes?

Edited by Rich Kennedy

"During the contest trial, the Coleman team presented evidence of a further 6500 absentees that it felt deserved to be included under the process that had produced the prior 933 [submitted by Franken, rk]. The three judges finally defined what constituted a 'legal' absentee ballot. Countable ballots, for instance, had to contain the signature of the voter, complete registration information, and proper witness credentials.

But the panel only applied the standards going forward, severely reducing the universe of additional basentees the Coleman team could hope to have included. In the end, the three judges allowed about 350 additional absentees to be counted. The panel also did nothing about the hundreds, possibly thousands, of absentees that have already been legally included, yet are now 'illegal' according to the panel's own ex-post definition."

The Wall Street Journal editorial, April 18, 2009 concerning the Franken Coleman decision in the Minnesota U.S. Senate race of 2008.

Kids. Go figure. I can taste that tactic a mile off and it's why I usually bring my own to work. But Jason, if I read you correctly, his "bold" brew will have more caffeine, yes?

Yes, if only because he put, like, four more scoops of Folger's in. (Just like there will be more caffeine in your tea if you use twenty teaspoons of leaves as opposed to four.)