Sign in to follow this  
Darrel Manson

Pray the Devil Back to Hell

Documentary opening tomorrow in LA (been out a week in NY). Very interesting. After 13 years of civil war, women in Liberia (Christian and Muslim) said "enough." They demanded the rebels and govt attend peace talks in Ghana. And when the peace talks bogged down, they blocked the doors so people couldn't leave. Ordinary women risk their lives and do great things.

I'm still transcribing stuff from interview with Abigail Disney (producer), Gini Reticker (director), and Laymah Gbowee (one of the leaders of the women).

Edited by Darrel Manson

In my church yesterday, I was chatting with one of our long-term members, Diana T., who came to the US in the early 2000's as a refugee, a war widow, and a single mother.  We've known Diana for almost 12 years but until yesterday, I didn't know that on her own she's bought land in Liberia, and is in the process of raising money ($35,000) to build an orphanage for war orphans, and for the orphaned children after the war due to the war's devastating legacy.  I found her willingness to sacrifice (essentially she's working two jobs to provide for her kids and to build an orphanage) so moving that I feel compelled to help her, and figure out if I can mobilize my church and community to help.  

I'm sorry I missed this film when it released almost 10 years ago, and am going to track it down.  I hope that it gives me more insight in Diana's story and is a way to connect others to her passion.