Best photo editing program?

Overstreet

Having made the switch to Mac, and being presently out of money, I'm already missing Photoshop, which I have on my old machine.

iPhoto just isn't cutting it when it comes to the photo-enhancing tools. It's like going back to first grade after working my way up to high school.

Does anybody know of a free photo editing program that's worth downloading?

Or should I just start saving for Photoshop for Mac?

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

Having made the switch to Mac, and being presently out of money, I'm already missing Photoshop, which I have on my old machine.

iPhoto just isn't cutting it when it comes to the photo-enhancing tools. It's like going back to first grade after working my way up to high school.

Does anybody know of a free photo editing program that's worth downloading?

Or should I just start saving for Photoshop for Mac?

Haven't used it myself, but I've had GIMP come really recommended from a few folks before. I believe it's free.

EDIT: Or if you're no longer able to use it, ebay your Windows Photoshop and use the cash to buy Mac Photoshop.

Edited by popechild

"You guys don't really know who you're dealing with."

"Oh yeah, and who exactly are we dealing with?"

"I'm the mother flippin' rhymenoceros."

There are actually a slew of free/relatively inexpensive image editors available for OS X.

For example, Pixelmator has been receiving a lot of popularity and acclaim as a cheap ($60) yet powerful Photoshop alternative.

Others include Acorn, DrawIt, Iris, and ImageWell.

Here are a few more (hopefully) useful links:

http://jonwhipple.com/blog/2007/10/29/image-is-everything/

http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/...een-waiting-for

"I feel a nostalgia for an age yet to come..."
Opus, Twitter, Facebook

There's also Photoshop Express, which is a web-based version of the software and has basic editing capabilities (review). However, it might be a little too iPhoto-ish for your tastes, Jeffrey.

"I feel a nostalgia for an age yet to come..."
Opus, Twitter, Facebook

Jeff, when i switched to a Mac at my previous employer back in 2006, i discovered that Adobe allows for a free platform switcheroo. Since I was a registered license holder of the Creative Suite, all i paid was shipping costs and they mailed me the Mac version of CS3, free. There's some paperwork involved in the license exchange and you have to agree to destroy the old PC version and license, but such a deal, eh?

Just give Adobe a call... Here's a link discussing the process. The policy might be different if you owned CS3 or earlier, because I understand that they're only distributing CS4 at the moment. Can't hurt to ask. Worst case scenario is that they'll front you CS4 at a greatly reduced cost. I found them them to be extremely gracious and accommodating.

Edited by coltrane

"The things we enjoy are channels through which the divine glory strikes us, and those who love and delight in any good thing may yet learn to love God." --Gilbert Meilaender