Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Editing in iTunes

21 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

I'm not sure if this goes here or in "Science and Technology."

At any rate, iTunes is goofy. I've imported thousands of CDs to iTunes, and then synched iTunes to my iPod. And I've been aware for some time that many of the artists, album titles, genre labels, etc. shown in iTunes were flat-out wrong. The band Aradhna appears as both "Aradhna" and "Aaradhna." Bruce Springsteen appears as both "Bruce Springsteen" and "Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band," even though some of the albums labeled "Bruce Springsteen" are with the E Street Band. The indie rock band Blitzen Trapper has an album classified as "Holiday" music (summer solstice, maybe?), while Bruce Cockburn's album Christmas (nothing but Christmas songs) is classified as "Folk." Go figure.

In any case, I'm trying to rectify the mess by manually editing the entries in iTunes. And it's a cumbersome and laborious practice. Typically I have to triple- or quadruple-click on an album/song/artist/genre, delete what is there, and then type in what I want, on a track-by-track basis. What I'd really like to do is to make mass editing changes (e.g., change all the "Folk" genre labels for that Cockburn album to "Holiday'). Is there a way to do this? Anyone who can offer insight will be saving my time and my sanity. Thanks.

Or, alternately, I could skip the whole thing. As my wife puts it, "Don't be so anal." As if the Bruce Springsteen/Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band mislabeleling was just some minor little nitpicky thing. Crazy women.

Posted · Report post

Well, you can always select multiple tracks at a time and do a batch edit on all of the information common to those tracks, like album, artist, genre. Obviously, you wouldn't be able to change individual track names or numbers.

You might also want to get some software that is specifically designed to edit ID3 tags (which are what contain all of the aforementioned track info. For example:

http://www.pa-software.com/products/overvi...p?prod=BC3B2E3A

I've never used this software, as iTunes has always been adequate for my needs, but there you go.

Posted · Report post

In any case, I'm trying to rectify the mess by manually editing the entries in iTunes. And it's a cumbersome and laborious practice. Typically I have to triple- or quadruple-click on an album/song/artist/genre, delete what is there, and then type in what I want, on a track-by-track basis. What I'd really like to do is to make mass editing changes (e.g., change all the "Folk" genre labels for that Cockburn album to "Holiday'). Is there a way to do this? Anyone who can offer insight will be saving my time and my sanity. Thanks.

Select the first song and then, while holding down the shift key, select the last song you want to edit. Go up to the File drop menu and choose Get Info. It will likely ask if you want to update all the files, select yes and you will have the option to change artist name, album title and genre for all the selected tracks at once.

Posted · Report post

FWIW, this topic has been moved to "Science & Technology", since it contains some other iTunes-related discussions.

Posted · Report post

Or you could try a program like MediaMonkey, which is much easier to work with... (It's what I use; must admit that I'm not a fan of iTunes.)

FWIW, MediaMonkey is only available for Windows. If you're looking for a cross-platform iTunes alternative, there's always Songbird -- which is still in beta, but quickly approaching 1.0 status (here's a review).

Posted · Report post

Hey, I just found out that the coffee cup holder on my computer will play CDs!

Posted · Report post

Hey, I just found out that the coffee cup holder on my computer will play CDs!

Brilliant!

The ID information is pulled from cddb and it seems to be input by whomever gets there first. That's why some albums are all caps and some bands spelled differently and even classified as odd genre's. When it bugs me, or when I wind up files for: Neil Young, Neil Young and Crazy Horse, Neil Young with Crazyhorse....... I do as Nezpop describes.

Posted · Report post

The other thing that frustrates me about CDDB is that their genre options are incredibly limited, and therefore, very generic. I have numerous albums labeled as "Alternative & Punk", which might be accurate only in the broadest sense imaginable.

Posted · Report post

The other thing that frustrates me about CDDB is that their genre options are incredibly limited, and therefore, very generic. I have numerous albums labeled as "Alternative & Punk", which might be accurate only in the broadest sense imaginable.

Are you suggesting Johnny Cash is not alternative & punk?!

Posted · Report post

Imagine. All I know is that when Joanna Newsom and Nirvana are lumped into the same category, there is something deeply wrong.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions, by the way. I spent the evening last night editing iTunes (hey, I lead an exciting life). Three and a half hours and some 34,000 songs later, I had made massive changes, combining the "Merle Haggard" and "Haggard, Merle" tracks, creating new and exciting genres called "Celtic Punk" and "Post Rock," and generally tweaking the entries to suit my nefarious purposes. I like the way the music is organized on my iPod much better today.

Although I'm still baffled by the "Compilations" category. It's useful, I suppose, as a catalogue of "Various Artists" albums. It's not so useful when two-thirds of the albums listed aren't compilations at all, but simply a bunch of tracks from a single artist/band. What's up with that?

Posted · Report post

Depends on who he's covering at the time. :)

Posted · Report post

I have categories I didn't know existed:

Anorak- which covers certain 80's Britpop

Bootleg- filled with off beat Dj mixes

Rock Terrorism- apparently reserved for Cobra Verde

Cassette- a hold over from some early DIY releases

I have Electronic, Electronica and special bonus feature...electronica/Dance

the fantastically diverse -Other

I have Post Punk and Post Rock

The head scratching Unclassifiable and Unknown

I need to spend some time editing!

Posted (edited) · Report post

I have Electronic, Electronica and special bonus feature...electronica/Dance

Yes, these are iTunes specialties. I spent part of last night obliterating these distinctions. I surely don't know the difference between Electronic and Electronica, and Electronica/Dance seemed downright pushy to me, insinuating that if I didn't get up and shaky my booty to, say, The Chemical Brothers, there was something wrong with me. I don't want to dance to The Chemical Brothers. I want to plug both my ears with my fingers and throw things across the room, two mutually exclusive tendencies that could only loosely be construed as dance.

The head scratching Unclassifiable and Unknown

Lazy bums. Everything is classifiable. iTunes flagged my Clientele albums as "Unclassifiable" when the perfectly serviceable "Wimp Rock" and "Unrequited Love Whining" were readily available. These corporate people have no imagination.

Edited by Andy Whitman

Posted · Report post

Is "Unrequited Love Whining" a sub-genre of Twee? Or do I need another new category?

Posted · Report post

Is "Unrequited Love Whining" a sub-genre of Twee? Or do I need another new category?

There are different ways you can handle this.

Of course, there is "Twee" that doesn't involve whining about unrequited love. Think about Belle and Sebastian, who also write about sunbeams and foxes. And there is whining about unrequited love that isn't necessarily "Twee" (see the entire Joni Mitchell catalogue). So it gets complicated. One needs a Venn diagram to adequately explain it.

From the standpoint of iTunes genres, I think the following strategem can be used:

-- Twee, Unrequited Love (or TUL if you're into acronyms) -- (for The Clientele)

-- Twee, Just Twee (TJT) -- (for Belle and Sebastian)

-- Testosterone-Based, Unrequited Love (TBUL) -- (for Kanye West)

-- Metallica -- (for Metallica)

That should cover about 98% of popular music.

Posted · Report post

I thought it was just all called Emo.

Posted · Report post

Thank you professor! I am often thrown off by which category to file sunbeams and foxes in.

Even though Metallica doesn't fit neatly into the growl rock category, they are there in my iTunes. I am constantly threatening to throw them in with the Norwegian black metalists, just so I don't listen to them on accident.

Doesn't that depend on thier devotion to either, white belts/fixed gear bikes or prog rock?

Posted · Report post

There are different ways you can handle this.

Of course, there is "Twee" that doesn't involve whining about unrequited love. Think about Belle and Sebastian, who also write about sunbeams and foxes. And there is whining about unrequited love that isn't necessarily "Twee" (see the entire Joni Mitchell catalogue). So it gets complicated. One needs a Venn diagram to adequately explain it.

From the standpoint of iTunes genres, I think the following strategem can be used:

-- Twee, Unrequited Love (or TUL if you're into acronyms) -- (for The Clientele)

-- Twee, Just Twee (TJT) -- (for Belle and Sebastian)

-- Testosterone-Based, Unrequited Love (TBUL) -- (for Kanye West)

-- Metallica -- (for Metallica)

That should cover about 98% of popular music.

Boo hiss!

I'm an unashamed twee fan. Not only that, I'm happily married and not miserable. I suppose that puts me in the TJT category

Don't get me started on how the genre emo has evolved. There was once a time it meant Rites of Spring/Fugazi/Dischord. Then it meant Sunny Day Real Estate. Somewhere around Jimmy Eat World's Bleed America and Weezer's Green Album it took on an altogether new mutation. Now it's almost more of a fashion style than anything else.

Posted · Report post

Or you could try a program like MediaMonkey, which is much easier to work with... (It's what I use; must admit that I'm not a fan of iTunes.)

I just received a Zune as a gift and have been unable to download music. Anyone ever have problems doing this? Thanks,

Reverse Phone Lookup

Posted · Report post

All I know is that when Joanna Newsom and Nirvana are lumped into the same category, there is something deeply wrong.

Unless said category is "Annoying twaddle that I'll never put on my iPod to begin with."