Sign in to follow this  
Tony Watkins

Architecture in Toronto

A piece in todays Daily Telegraph on the transformation of architecture in Toronto, with a particular focus on Frank Gehry of course.

Thank you. As a Canadian, within an hour of Toronto, I got a kick out of a UK travel plug for Toronto and its architectural icons. We've got some great architectural writers in Canada and so much 'worthly of praise' and discourse...and I am hoping that a Canadian perspective and voice will emerge in this newly combined forum.

A piece in todays Daily Telegraph on the transformation of architecture in Toronto, with a particular focus on Frank Gehry of course.

Thank you. As a Canadian, within an hour of Toronto, I got a kick out of a UK travel plug for Toronto and its architectural icons. We've got some great architectural writers in Canada and so much 'worthly of praise' and discourse...and I am hoping that a Canadian perspective and voice will emerge in this newly combined forum.

Another Toronto achievement -- world's worst building

I was a little surprised to see the Washington Post not only denigrate the Royal Ontario Museum “Crystal” addition as being “ugly and useless”, but designated as the worst structure built in the entire world in the past decade . . .

The Post’s culture critic Philip Kennicott said the ROM’s $250 million crystal, designed by Daniel Libeskind, surpassed “the ugliness of bland functional buildings by being both ugly and useless.”

“His aluminum-and-glass-clad crystalline forms grow out of the building’s original 1914 structure, and from the street it’s dramatic,” Kennicott writes. “But go inside and you need a map to move around its irrational and baffling dead spaces.

“And where do you put art in a room of canted walls? Curators seem as baffled and frustrated by it as casual visitors.” . . .

Adrian MacNair, National Post, December 29