Sign in to follow this  
Overstreet

Noah (2014)

And it's no longer streaming in Canada! Wow, *that* was over quickly.

In related news, I finally dusted off my Noah commentary a few days ago and began working on an introductory essay. I had almost finished my line-by-line commentary on the film itself (about 120 pages' worth) late last year, but then I got distracted by the trip to Morocco, the build-up to the broadcast/release of The Red Tent and Exodus: Gods and Kings, and then by the build-up to the broadcast of Killing Jesus and A.D. The Bible Continues, among other things. But now that most of those things have subsided, I think it's finally time to look at finishing this thing... even if it has now been over a year since the film came out.

Josh Hamm wrote:
: That's odd, Peter, because I'm literally playing the movie at this moment.

Oh! I just figured out what had happened: my phone's Netflix account (which gets the Canadian offerings; I use my laptop for the American offerings) was set to my children's profile, rather than mine. I just switched my app back to *my* profile, and now Noah shows up. I guess films like Noah aren't visible to children.

A year and a half ago I started working on a detailed line-by-line annotation of this film, noting what its biblical and non-canonical sources were, how it incorporated scientific ideas, how the script changed between the graphic novel and the finished film (and how some of the deleted scenes surfaced in the novelizations and in some of the videos associated with the film), how the film sparked different controversies, and so on and so on. It currently runs to about 120 pages. Here is a link to a PDF copy of Chapter 1, i.e. an annotation of the first chapter on the DVD.

The first draft of the annotation is basically done, but I have no idea when I'll finish the book as a whole; I want to add/write some essays addressing specific themes around the film. (Thankfully, I've already written blog posts around some of these themes, and it shouldn't take *too* much work to edit them into something book-ish.)