Sign in to follow this  
Overstreet

Noah (2014)

One website is calling this the 1'st in the top seven anticipated "Christian" movies of the year.  If so, then from what we've heard of this movie I'm guessing that there might be some people in for a surprise.

Will it be three hours long?

Also, I've updated the Patti Smith post to include video footage of a duet that she and Russell Crowe performed in Iceland back in August 2012 -- when Crowe was making the film and Smith, supposedly, was just "touring the country". Did they really not announce her involvement with this film until yesterday (when I suddenly heard it near-simultaneously from Rolling Stone, Aronofsky's Twitter account, and an interview with Emma Watson in Wonderland magazine), or did I just forget somehow that she was involved with it?

Apparently Aronofsky and his co-writer were working with a studio on this film about a decade ago -- before any of *us* had heard about it, I wager -- but the studio went through a regime change and the project got scuttled. So the resulting graphic novel was not, as I thought, commissioned to stimulate interest in a film that had not yet been developed but was, rather, commissioned to save elements of a film that had already been developed and abandoned.

The Hollywood Reporter has a big story on the conflict between Aronofsky and the studio on this, which has apparently been resolved with the director's original cut intact.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/rough-seas-noah-darren-aronofsky-679315

When I read that some "faith based" audiences objected to the fact that Noah got drunk in the film, I almost fell out of my chair. Apparently they don't want the movie to be that "faithful to Scripture."  HA.

My post on the story's highlights.

If anything made me roll my eyes, it wasn't the "Noah's drunk!?" bit, as every Christian I knew growing up was pretty much aware of that (so I have no idea who the Christians *objecting* to that bit in the movie are).

No, what made me roll my eyes was the revelation that they had to add a line of dialogue clarifying that Shem and Ila are, in fact, married; the studio vice chairman, who is apparently a Christian himself (and apparently it's partly *because* he's a Christian that Aronofsky decided to make the film at Paramount!), says everyone had just taken it for granted that the characters were married.

(Mind you, as one who has read an early draft of the script... I can see why there might have been some concern there.)

Incidentally, let's be fair here. The first sentence in the story that mentions Noah getting drunk *also* mentions something that is *not* in the Bible -- something that Godawa and others have talked about (and which might have even been mentioned earlier in this thread) but which I'm not going to mention right now because it could be considered a spoiler. So if Christians are objecting to the darkness of the character, it ain't just because of that one biblical detail.

The need to clarify Shem and Ila's marital status is maddening, as well. As for the drunkenness, some biblical scholars will tell you that Noah getting drunk is just the tip of the iceberg. There may have been sodomy or castration involved on Ham's part. I doubt Aronofsky goes there. But if he did, I would love to see some of the "faith based" audience's reaction.

morgan1098 wrote:

: The need to clarify Shem and Ila's marital status is maddening, as well.

If the movie sticks to the story outlined in the early draft of the script that I read last year, I can see why there might be *some* ambiguity or confusion on this point. Ila is basically adopted by Noah when she's a little girl, and she grows up with his three sons (one of whom is a baby at the beginning of the story, as you can see in the trailer). So she's almost a *sister* to them. It's not necessarily clear at what point she and Shem become an "item" (or at what point Noah realizes that they are an "item").

But still. They didn't have church weddings back then. And Noah and his family live pretty much in isolation, so it's not like there's a *community* for them to turn to, to officiate at any weddings that they *might* have had. (After all, the rest of mankind is wicked etc.)

: As for the drunkenness, some biblical scholars will tell you that Noah getting drunk is just the tip of the iceberg. There may have been sodomy or castration involved on Ham's part. I doubt Aronofsky goes there.

Heh.

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

Duck Dynasty defenders now raising doubts about Noah.

Oh, also: new trailer images and a new magazine article. And the "new" trailer images are actually from a *Brazilian* trailer that has been online for three months -- somehow none of my news feeds have ever mentioned it!

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

Spent a few hours mulling over the questions "Was Noah a righteous man? How righteous was he? How righteous should our portrayals of him be?"

Virtually the instant I finished, Variety posted a lengthy interview with the Faith Driven Consumer guy, essentially shooting back at Paramount for releasing its press release attacking the earlier Variety story yesterday.

This sort of ongoing pissing match only serves to raise the profile of Faith Driven Consumer and doesn't do the movie any favours, I think. Perhaps the studio should have left well enough alone.

Spent a few hours mulling over the questions "Was Noah a righteous man? How righteous was he? How righteous should our portrayals of him be?"

Virtually the instant I finished, Variety posted a lengthy interview with the Faith Driven Consumer guy, essentially shooting back at Paramount for releasing its press release attacking the earlier Variety story yesterday.

This sort of ongoing pissing match only serves to raise the profile of Faith Driven Consumer and doesn't do the movie any favours, I think. Perhaps the studio should have left well enough alone.

WTF?

Is Variety betting against Paramount on the stock market? Did Darren Aronofsky kick Variety's dog?

In other news…

In which I blog on why everyone should chill out about the Noah film, and court the wrath of biblical literalists for dropping the term "mythological" in relation to Noah and the flood. 

So what’s the deal with the Noah movie?

Does it replace the message of the Bible story with a message created by Hollywood?

Is Russell Crowe’s Noah an environmentalist wacko? Is God a monster out to eradicate humanity entirely?

Get a grip, people…

Well, I'm sure FDC is happy about the way all this is going down, but I don't see the studio shouldn't be happy too. It sounds like they're counting on there being no such thing as bad publicity, which was indeed the case for The Passion of the Christ, right?

Edited by Rushmore

Rushmore wrote:
: Well, I'm sure FDC is happy about the way all this is going down, but I don't see the studio shouldn't be happy too. It sounds like they're counting on there being no such thing as bad publicity, which was indeed the case for The Passion of the Christ, right?

But in that case, the producers had the target audience solidly on their side. The controversy was raised by people who were not only outside the target demographic, but were in some ways *opposed* to the target demographic. That helped whip up support for the film among the target demographic.

The problem Noah faces is that groups like FDC claim to represent the target demographic, and there aren't a lot of voices among the target demographic contradicting them. The contrast is particularly stark right now because Son of God is receiving constant -- indeed, daily, on their YouTube channel -- public support from "church leaders" etc., just like the support The Passion once received. And Noah isn't getting that at all, at least not that I've seen. And it opens only four weeks after Son of God does.

Holy cow! Noah has apparently received the "Ted Baehr Seal of Approval." Now I'm not sure if I want to see it.

A reviewer for family-and-faith-oriented MovieGuide recently saw a cut of "Noah." According to MovieGuide founder Ted Baehr, "Noah" doesn't significantly stray from the biblical source material and instead remains quite faithful. In fact, by the time the film comes out, the whole issue may be moot, he says.

"All of the hyper-environmentalism that's being reported, it's not in the final movie," Baehr tells me. "The environmental points are there, but they are dropped pretty quickly, and it's more oriented toward salvation, and loving God, and being fruitful.”

https://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie-news/burning-question--will-christian-moviegoers-float--noah-s--boat-230738085.html

Yeah, I saw that news story back on Tuesday (I've been following the news feeds very closely), but it wasn't clear to me whether Baehr had actually seen the film or was simply passing along what one of his employees/interns had told him ("A reviewer for..." didn't necessarily refer to Baehr himself).