Sign in to follow this  
M. Leary

Heartbeat Detector

I rewatched the first half of Heartbeat Detector during lunch today. This is one of those films that feels perfectly directed to me. Like, I'm surprised by almost every cut, every blocking decision, and then after settling in to the shot I'm conscious of the wisdom in it.

The shot that got me today is when the blonde woman grabs Amalric by the hand and pulls him along the long wall of archival cabinets. Every other director would've cut to a wide shot from the side, so we see the wall, but Klotz's choice is so much more interesting because it introduces movement and suspense to the shot. I had the biggest, dumbest grin on my face.

31 minutes ago, Darren H said:

Finished it this morning. I'm tempted to burn DVD-Rs for every top 100 voter who hasn't seen this film.

It's not available on streaming, for purchase or rent, in Canada, so I'd appreciate that, or sharing to a WeTransfer account or something. I've long been curious about the film because of your championing it.

"A director must live with the fact that his work will be called to judgment by someone who has never seen a film of Murnau's." - François Truffaut

Twitter.
Letterboxd.

Reviews and essays at Three Brothers Film.

Perhaps we could move these sorts of offers to Private Messages or off-list? 

I doubt seriously that there is any sort of liability threat here, but I wouldn't want it to be an open feature of a public forum to flaunt copyright, and I am not a lawyer, so I'd be inclined to err on the side of circumspection.