Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DanBuck

Bakhtinian Carnival in postmodern perf. arts

7 posts in this topic

So I'm working on a 20-pager about Bakhtin's carnivalesque theory as it applies to postmodern concepts of memory.

Any thoughts?

see if this gets you started:

Carnival and Memory

The corporeal grasp on truth as manifested in David Lindsay-Abaire

Any thoughts?

If there's room for fiction in your paper, you'll never find a better example of the carnivalesque as pomo memory than the last 50 pages or so of Robert Coover's The Public Burning.

The paper is finished. I wasn't realy looking for help, just seeing if anybody had anything interesting to say about it. I used Infinite Jest as a literary model for postmodern carnival. It worked pretty well, I think. (Of course, I haven't gotten the paper back yet)

Your post brought back a lot of memories of that dissertation I never finished writing. Part of my project concerned the trial and execution of Julius and Ethel Rosenberg, which was a carnival on a grand scale. I'd planned on digging into Bakhtin, along with anthropological studies of ritualistic executions, for my chapter on Coover's novel, which filters the executions through all kinds of pomo hijinks. Bakhtin's carnival is one of those rare theoretical frameworks that has a broad range of applications, I think.

I keep thinking I'm going to read Infinite Jest one of these days (months), but if it hasn't happened yet, I'm beginning to doubt it ever will.

Your post brought back a lot of memories of that dissertation I never finished writing. Part of my project concerned the trial and execution of Julius and Ethel Rosenberg, which was a carnival on a grand scale. I'd planned on digging into Bakhtin, along with anthropological studies of ritualistic executions, for my chapter on Coover's novel, which filters the executions through all kinds of pomo hijinks. Bakhtin's carnival is one of those rare theoretical frameworks that has a broad range of applications, I think.

I keep thinking I'm going to read Infinite Jest one of these days (months), but if it hasn't happened yet, I'm beginning to doubt it ever will.

The Rosenberg Story has fascinated me since I saw Angels. Which, by the way, has become one of my favorite plays. (At least Millenium Approaches for sure).

In fact, the whole cold war/McCarthy thing is so rich. We studied a good bit about the blacklist as it related to Elia Kazan, Arthur Miller, and even Brecht. So intriguing.

ddddyyyy is clearly spam - but he/she knows truth when he/she sees it.

Any thoughts?

If there's room for fiction in your paper, you'll never find a better example of the carnivalesque as pomo memory than the last 50 pages or so of Robert Coover's The Public Burning.

Hi, your idea is very interesting ! :(

simulation taux banque credit immobilier de France - Credit immobilier de France, simulation credit immobilier. R