Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Overstreet

Coldplay - Mylo Xyloto

50 posts in this topic

Robyn offers a quite lovely cover of "Every Teardrop is a Waterfall"-- and it makes SO MUCH SENSE now! This was never meant to be a Coldplay song. It was meant to be a Robyn song.

Robyn offers a quite lovely cover of "Every Teardrop is a Waterfall"-- and it makes SO MUCH SENSE now! This was never meant to be a Coldplay song. It was meant to be a Robyn song.

Guh, hero. I love when someone covers something that sounds made for them.

Mylo Xyloto is out October 25.

Meanwhile, Willie Nelson covers "The Scientist" for... Chipotle?

Meanwhile, Willie Nelson covers "The Scientist" for... Chipotle?

I think the universe just imploded.

Pitchfork has the tracklisting, confirmation that one of these songs features Rhianna, and a stream of the new single, "Paradise."

First impression: Pretty boring.

The production value sounds pretty good. Just a continuation of the stuff they've always done well.

The lyrics however sound like an early rough draft. Having had four years to do some rewrites, one would think they would have worked on their first radio release a bit more.

I did notice that both of their lead singles use the phrase "every teardrop is a waterfall."

So I guess it really is a concept album!

Too bad it's such a painfully sappy and clichéd concept.

Again, with the whole four years thing, you'd think they'd have some extra time to think this stuff through, but maybe I'm too ambitious.

I don't even know what to say.

Colbert (full episode link): Coldplay have a new album, Mylo Xyloto. If you say it backwards, it sends them back to their own dimension.

...which, I believe, is Greek for Miley Cyrus.

Chris Martin: We took it [the title] from the randomness of the universe.

Colbert: Chris, are you high right now?

Edited by Tyler

Tom Erlewine:

ylo Xyloto has a leg up other Coldplay records for this simple reason: they’re no longer attempting to mimic U2’s portentous piety. They’ve embraced their schoolboy selves are simply singing songs of love and good cheer, albeit on a grand scale that somehow seems smaller due to the group’s insuppressible niceness.

Neil McCormick:

I sometimes think Coldplay are what Radiohead would sound like if they were fronted by Paul McCartney, 21st-century rock bent to the service of silly love songs. But maybe that is exactly what the world needs right now: great pop music with its big heart in the right place.

Has anyone heard the full album? I had it in my hands at Target for $8.99, but I felt dirty, so I put it back.

Huh. I never liked Coldplay and it doesn't sound like I'm about to start...

Brett McCracken declares that people who don't like Coldplay are just too-cool-for-school hipsters who can't stand it when something good becomes popular.

Interesting. I thought I stopped enjoying the music when the music started to sound slathered in butter (it's all yellow) and too eager for arenas. And, album by album, I never heard any of the musicians becoming more interesting... just, you know, playing the notes. Other than Chris Martin, I can't name any of the band members, partly because I don't hear anything distinct going on, so they don't get my attention. It still sounds more like product than vision to me.

And hey... to those who enjoy them, by all means, don't let me get in the way. Just stop judging the naysayers for being more concerned about their image than the actual music. I pay for the music I enjoy, no matter what others may think. I still listen to Mannheim Steamroller, for crying out loud. If that doesn't kill my "hipster cred," I don't know what will.

Edited by Overstreet

Well I don't know what's wrong with me, but I like the whole album. Quite a bit actually. It's much more pop-oriented than previous Coldplay CDs, and at this point it's about as "pop" as I get. But I'm diggin it.

I do have to say, however, that the album as a whole is better than the two singles by themselves.

I do have to say, however, that the album as a whole is better than the two singles by themselves.

I'm glad to hear this.

I've had two other friends tell me this too. I'll probably give it a spin soon.

I think this is Coldplay's most immediate album. It strikes me as a great album from the first listen. But time will tell whether that makes it a long term joy to listen to. Found it took time to get into Viva La Vida but I seem to listen to that more now than any previous album. There are some classic tracks on this album.

Finally getting around to listening to this album. Really fascinating stuff; I didn't realize that Yoda was co-writing with them again.

Got it for free from the library last week. Can't say a single track held my attention. Once upon a time, Coldplay sounded like actual musicians gathering to play instruments together. Now, this stuff sounds to me like it was produced by some kind of Coldplay Software. I can't even comment on Martin's singing anymore because his voice seems lost in the sea of gleaming gauze. It's the musical equivalent of the butter flavoring - not butter, butter flavoring - they put on the popcorn at the cheap theater.

Edited by Overstreet

I think it's a solid, if unspectacular, pop album, but Viva La Vida, Parachutes, and A Rush of Blood are all better, IMO.

I think it's a solid, if unspectacular, pop album, but Viva La Vida, Parachutes, and A Rush of Blood are all better, IMO.

Pretty much what I think as well.