Sign in to follow this  
Tim Willson

Amazing Race 14

The next race is about to start, and I was surprised to find a familiar name on the list of competitors: Mel White, the former evangelical insider turned gay rights activist, competing with his son.

Here is an article, and here are the contestants (from this story):

___

Name: Mark Munoz, 48

Hometown: Los Angeles

Name: Michael Munoz, 51

Hometown: Maui, Hawaii

Relationship: Brothers

___

Name: Tammy Jih, 26

Hometown: San Francisco

Name: Victor Jih, 35

Hometown: Los Angeles

Relationship: Siblings

___

Name: LaKisha Hoffman, 28

Hometown: New York

Name: Jennifer Hoffman, 24

Hometown: Louisville, Ky.

Relationship: Sisters

___

Name: Christie Volkmer, 37

Hometown: Choctaw, Okla.

Name: Jodi Wincheski, 40

Hometown: Houston

Relationship: Flight Attendants

___

Name: Cara Rosenthal, 26

Hometown: Boca Raton, Fla.

Name: Jaime Edmondson, 29

Hometown: Ft. Lauderdale, Fla.

Relationship: Former NFL Cheerleaders

___

Name: Brad Hunt, 52

Hometown: Columbus, Ohio

Name: Victoria Hunt, 47

Hometown: Columbus, Ohio

Relationship: Married

___

Name: Mel White, 68

Hometown: Lynchburg, Va.

Name: Mike White, 38

Hometown: Santa Monica, Calif.

Relationship: Father and Son

___

Name: Linda Cole, 52

Hometown: Martinsville, Va.

Name: Steve Cole, 43

Hometown: Martinsville, Va.

Relationship: Married

___

Name: Jennifer Hopka, 26

Hometown: Columbia, S.C.

Name: Preston McCamy, 28

Hometown: Columbia, S.C.

Relationship: Dating

___

Name: Amanda Blackledge, 23

Hometown: San Diego

Name: Kris Klicka, 24

Hometown: San Diego

Relationship: Dating

___

Name: Margie Adams, 51

Hometown: Denver

Name: Luke Adams, 23

Hometown: Denver

Relationship: Mother and Son

-------------

Edited by Tim Willson

With his son, Mike -- who's made some very interesting films!

Woh, woh -- as in Mike White, writer of (and actor in) The School of Rock and The Good Girl? Freaky.

Dale

Edited by M. Dale Prins

I know there have been 'famous' people on the show before -- Rob and Amber, if not the NFL stars that we've seen. But I think it's the first time a national figure has been on, no?

White is 68, and not many older participants have made it through very many legs. It will be interesting to see how far he goes.

The other team that catches my eye is the mother-son Adams team, as Luke is completely deaf (and does not speak or read lips) -- now that will be an interesting dynamic to watch, as communication is ALWAYS a key part of this most cross-cultural of TV events.

I loved the first episode. Switzerland with the snow was beautiful. There was a killer bungee jump, and the cheese task is one of my favorites of all time, with people trying to carry fifty-pound blocks of cheese on rickety wooden contraptions that looked like they were built out of cardboard. Watching those cheese rolls flying down the hill, it's a good thing nobody got run over, or that one of those didn't smash into one of those houses at the bottom of the hill. But seeing people sliding down the hill on their behinds with one of those cheese blocks in their laps was really funny.

Right now my favorite teams for the mother and deaf son, the stuntman brothers, and the Whites, who worked together well. Most of the other teams were likeable so far, as well. Although the flight attendants, even though they claim their jobs give them inside info to give them an advantage, seem pretty clueless.

I won't miss

Preston and Jennifer

one bit. Good riddance. And the country bumpkin couple were almost as annoying. But this is shaping up to be a fun season.

Edited by Crow

Wow, NOW I know that deaf people can do anything that hearing people can do! I've sure learned that lesson! Thanks! Now, um. Could you stop talking about it, please, Luke? Because you're kind of likeable, but nobody wants to get to know someone whose sole goal in life is to teach me a lesson...

• Amanda and Kris - didn't say much, but weren't harping on each other all the time, so that's good.
  • Brad and Victoria - you go, eXtreme old people!!
  • Lakisha and Jennifer - worked well together, no bickering.
  • Mark and Michael - YES! Midget stuntmen! And they're cool.
  • Mel and Mike - one mention that they're gay - in the intro - and then they got down to business and Raced. Tho something tells me Mel is not long for this Race, based on the problems he had hauling cheese.
  • Tammy and Victor - competent Racers, no complaints.
  • The newly-recorded theme music ROCKS!
  • I love the new Amazing Globe and Amazing traveling line graphics!
  • Using split-screen and the wipe technique for some scene transitions really added visual excitement.
  • The cheese task was monumental, and awesome, and had us HOWLING with laughter in my house. THAT was good TV.
  • The eyebrow!! The eyebrow!!

On the fence:

• Cara and Jaime - Nice 'n Easy #47 gives you both the same hair color, and you say you don't care about what people think of you, you're not on the Race to make friends... that's usually a bad sign. But so far, you haven't done anything despicable.
  • Christie and Jodi - Flight attendants - should give you an advantage that I'm interested to see. But... it didn't this leg, did it?
  • Margie and Luke - Seem like pleasant folks, if only he'd stop trying to be a billboard and just be a person...
  • Have they ever had the two flight options end in DIFFERENT CITIES, before? It added a bit of complexity to the situation, but I'm not sure if that'll be a good development or not.

Dislike:

• Linda and Steve - I wanted to like you! I did! I wanted you to prove that hick people can do anything that city people can do! And yet, you are, respectively whiny and mean to one another. Even though you did celebrate the eyebrow.
  • Jennifer and Preston - announced in the intro that they were locked in a constant power struggle, were cruel and mean to each other all leg long, were whiny and snippy when things went wrong, and were generally unpleasant the whole way. From the start of the episode, we said, "they won't last long."
Edited by CrimsonLine

Ya'll leave poor Linda and Steve alone! They're fellow Virginians, and we stick together. Even the gay Whites are on my "team" this go-round! :) Virginia, baby! It's all about Virginia!

I loved last night's episode. The cheese-wheel challenge was one for the ages. There's nothing quite like watching an out-of-control cheese wheel rush downhill. Right out of a Tex Avery cartoon, or something.

Edited by Christian

Let's just say that I think EVERYONE will be able to leave Linda & Steve alone, real soon. Like by the end of the next leg.

If you haven't already, go to cbs.com and watch

Jennifer and Preston

at the "Elimination Station" in Thailand.

They can't even get along in a pampered, lush, all-expenses paid resort! How could they have ever thought they could make it on the Race?

Mel and mike White have a fan page at FB.

If you want to be totally in the dark, this may have :spoilers:

The minister of the Disciples church in Lynchberg, where Mel attends, says that Mel is tight-lipped about the experience (except to say that he and Mike had a really good time), but the minister notes that Mel was away traveling for quite a while.

The minister of the Disciples church in Lynchberg, where Mel attends, says that Mel is tight-lipped about the experience (except to say that he and Mike had a really good time), but the minister notes that Mel was away traveling for quite a while.

All the contestants are away for exactly the same amount of time. To help combat this exact type of spoilers, those who lose in the early rounds get sent to Sequesterville until the show is completed. (Those who lose in the final couple rounds apparently run a decoy race to, again, help combat spoilers.)

Dale

Edited by M. Dale Prins

A Variety article about the strength of veteran reality shows focuses on The Bachelor and Biggest Loser, but also sheds some light on the demographic appeal of The Amazing Race to advertisers. I did not know this:

Another pleasant surprise for ABC is that "The Bachelor" has performed surprisingly well among upscale auds, indexing at 131 among 18-49 viewers in homes earning $100,000 or more (100 is the national average). This makes it the season's No. 2 reality show in this category behind only CBS' "Amazing Race."

I didn't know the participants in this thread were so well off! ;)

some of us don't fit the category because of age

Good to know that you're still in the $100,000/year club. ;) (Maybe you are!)

You were probably all watching the Oscars...

...but I was not sad to see

Steve & Linda

go; it saved us from a lot of weepy weirdness. I bet the "Elimination Station" will be a hoot with

Jennifer and Preston and Steve and Linda

there...

The paragliding task looked breathtaking!

Again,

the stewardesses

barely escape elimination. I thought they had the makings of a strong team, but it doesn't look like that any more.

Another great episode. I'm glad the wind finally died down so that Mel could do the parasailing, because the camera shots as he was gliding were gorgeous! And he had a great line regarding the wind, "I can't pray for divine intervention because God has too many other things to do". Then the wind changed after all. That's grace.

I loved Phil raising his eyebrow as Mike was trying to climb the gate, when it turned out they just needed to pull the handle to open it. :lol:

And for pure entertainment value, you can't beat pies in the face.

Edited by Crow

I can understand why there are no posts here yet for last night. It was pretty much a yawn.

Few standout teams this season but my favorites of the remainders (I miss you, Kris and Amanda!) is probably Tammy and Victor. Not that they fully escape being annoying at times, but I love the way they attack the Race and never give up.

After that? Probably Margie and Luke.

Yeah, I was commenting to Sarah during last night's show that I didn't feel strongly about any of the remaining teams, although it's clear that Tammy and Victor are starting to put serious distance -- psychologically, and perhaps physically -- between themselves and the other teams. Or maybe it's all in my mind.

I'm waiting for another Victor meltdown, but don't really expect to see one.

I find myself rooting for the Whites. They're from Virginia, you see, and ... well, you know my loyalties.

Watching Mel wheeze last night was actually painful. I thought the guy might keel over right then and there.

Edited by Christian

None of the remaining teams make me want to cheer for them, or make me want to throw things at the television. I suppose I'm cheering for Mike and Mel, mainly because Mel is a tough old geezer. I don't think they have much of a chance, though. Barring more boneheaded obstinacy from Victor, I suspect Victor and Tammy will cruise to victory. But none of the remaining teams really strike me as All-Star Amazing Race caliber.

Race Across America starts today in Santa Monica and Phil Keogan is riding it. I've seen a doc on the race and it is for insane people. Losing your mind about half way is par. Losing it earlier isn't uncommon. Keeping your wits is unheard of.

You can follow his ride here