Celebrating Ladybird books

Following Matt Page's mention of his Ladybird book of William the Conqueror, I thought I'd start a thread on them.

Here's the cover of Matt's favourite, written by L Du Garde Peach and illustrated by John Kenney, published in 1956:

20060321085516.jpg

Three years later came my favourite, by the same author and illustrator, Julius Casear and Roman Britain:

20060328082444.jpg

Did anyone else enjoy these as a child? Any favourites to reminisce about?

Focus: The Art and Soul of Cinema now published - www.damaris.org/focus

Damaris: www.damaris.org CultureWatch: www.culturewatch.org Personal site: www.tonywatkins.co.uk

Another favourite: Ned the Lonely Donkey written by Noel Barr and illustrated by P.B. Hickling. Published some time before 1958.

20050921104251.jpg

Thinking about it now, I wonder if my deep attachment to melancholic stories has anything to do with this book? Or maybe I loved this story because it is, at times, so sad. It used to make me cry. I've just found a copy on the wonderful Ladybird history site, The Wee Web, for

Focus: The Art and Soul of Cinema now published - www.damaris.org/focus

Damaris: www.damaris.org CultureWatch: www.culturewatch.org Personal site: www.tonywatkins.co.uk

• 11 months later...

I've collected a few of the Bible ones of these recently, and I'm amazed at how detailed they are. I reckon 90% of our church wouldn't know as much as is explained in "Life in New Testament Times" for example.

Oh, and I have a gasworks one going back to my days working for British Gas's contaminiated land team.

Matt