Peter T Chattaway

Ralph Fiennes to direct 'Coriolanus'
Vanessa Redgrave in talks to join project
Variety, February 6

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

That's a Shakespearean play I've never heard of! Cool.

In case you were wondering, my name is spelled "Denes House," but it's pronounced "Throatwobbler Mangrove."

I haven't visited the play since Shakespeare class in college. I liked it then. I agree about cast choices so far and Redgrave as mom? Wow. That'l be great. Very unusual theme for the Bard. My professor swore up and down that both Coriolanus and his mother really did what they did. Haven't tried to confirm in quite a while.

"During the contest trial, the Coleman team presented evidence of a further 6500 absentees that it felt deserved to be included under the process that had produced the prior 933 [submitted by Franken, rk]. The three judges finally defined what constituted a 'legal' absentee ballot. Countable ballots, for instance, had to contain the signature of the voter, complete registration information, and proper witness credentials.

But the panel only applied the standards going forward, severely reducing the universe of additional basentees the Coleman team could hope to have included. In the end, the three judges allowed about 350 additional absentees to be counted. The panel also did nothing about the hundreds, possibly thousands, of absentees that have already been legally included, yet are now 'illegal' according to the panel's own ex-post definition."

The Wall Street Journal editorial, April 18, 2009 concerning the Franken Coleman decision in the Minnesota U.S. Senate race of 2008.

• 8 months later...

Gerard Butler off to war in 'Coriolanus'

Butler will play Tullus Aufidius, commander of the Volscian army from Shakespeare's play. He joins a cast that includes William Hurt, Eddie Marsan, Jessica Chastain and Vanessa Redgrave.

Hollywood Reporter, November 3

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

This is very exciting news, although I'm obviously a little late on the uptake! I'm actually quite surprised that he's taken up the camera, it's quite unusual for a true thesp to do this, though if Fiennes is even half as good a director as he is an actor, this will definitely be one to watch.

"There is, it would seem, in the dimensional scale of the world a kind of delicate meeting place between imagination and knowledge, a point, arrived at by diminishing large things and enlarging small ones, that is intrinsically artistic" - Vladimir Nabokov

• 4 months later...

Vanessa Redgrave, Brian Cox join 'Coriolanus'

LONDON -- Brian Cox and Vanessa Redgrave are to appear together on the big screen in Ralph Fiennes' directorial debut "Coriolanus," fresh from the duo teaming up for the small screen update of "The Day of The Triffids."

The pair joins Gerard Butler to star on screen alongside the director in his movie update of the Shakespearean historical tragedy.

John Kani, Paul Jesson, James Nesbitt, Ashraf Barhom, Lubna Azabal and Jessica Chastain also feature in the cast.

It stars shooting next week in Belgrade, Serbia from a script penned by John Logan, whose credits include "The Aviator." . . .

Hollywood Reporter, March 10

• 4 weeks later...

The first pictures have been released:

ralph-fiennes-action-fighting-coriolanus-large.jpg

Ryan H. wrote:

: I had no idea that this was a modernized take. Suddenly I'm significantly less interested than I was before.

What did you make of Ian McKellen's World War II version of Richard III?

What did you make of Ian McKellen's World War II version of Richard III?

I thought it was a blast. In general, I don't have any problem with changing the settings of Shakespeare's plays, but it has to be done imaginatively. Modernizing Shakespeare can often be a cheap shortcut to making Shakespeare relevant, and that's what it smacks of here. There are more interesting possibilities for CORIOLANUS than giving it a HURT LOCKER-style coat of paint.

• 9 months later...

So the Berlin Film Festival started today right? Because Coriolanus is supposed to be opening there as of news a month ago. I still can't get over how good the cast looks for this thing.

Maybe after doing Shakespeare, instead some of the other B-movies he's been doing lately, this will help Gerard Butler get some momentum for that Robert Burns biopic he said he wanted to do.

• 3 weeks later...

I missed this earlier, but here we go. Fiennes talked a little about his take on Shakespeare -

The modern-day interpretation was shot in Belgrade by the cinematographer Barry Ackroyd, who last worked with Fiennes on the Oscar-winning The Hurt Locker. Fiennes stars in the title role as the loyal soldier turned vengeful exile, while his supporting cast includes Gerard Butler, Brian Cox and Vanessa Redgrave."The film is not portraying any specific conflict, though it obviously has parallels with recent social unrest in Greece, Tunisia, or even here, where police are carrying riot shields and kettling protesters," Fiennes told the Guardian. "Before we started, I was prompted by descriptions of Russians going into Grozny and Americans going into Fallujah."

The play was briefly banned in 1930s France due to its perceived fascist sensibilities. "In the past it has been linked with fascist ideology. But that's not the right way to go," Fiennes said. "It's a story of loss and waste and devastation. Shakespeare is about provoking questions as opposed to telling you which way to vote, so to give it any overtly pro or anti-fascist slant is wrong."

But Fiennes's decision to update the play was sparked by aesthetic as well as political considerations. "Having acted in various Shakespeare productions over the years, I think that to be completely modern is the only way to go. Have the actors in modern clothes, drinking coffee, talking on mobile phones. It releases the energy somehow."

Edited by Persiflage

Vanessa Redgrave, Brian Cox join 'Coriolanus'

LONDON -- Brian Cox and Vanessa Redgrave are to appear together on the big screen in Ralph Fiennes' directorial debut "Coriolanus," fresh from the duo teaming up for the small screen update of "The Day of The Triffids."

Small screen update of Day Of The Triffids!!! YESSSSSSSS!!!!!!

A favourite book of my youth, the film a total shambles.

I've posted a couple hundred of my Soul Food Movies write-ups at letterboxd

FirstShowing rounds up a collection of positive reviews

For instance, the Independant says:

"Ralph Fiennes's Coriolanus is a bloody, testosterone-filled updating of Shakespeare's play, shot and performed with real vigour. This is the Bard done action-movie style...

It's questionable whether Fiennes and his team uncover anything new by reworking Coriolanus and setting it in the present day. What they do deliver is a rousing and primal drama – one of the few films likely to appeal to action fans and Shakespeare lovers in equal measure."

Edited by NBooth

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

One of the films I'm most looking forward to this year, but I don't think the trailer is marketed to anyone who actually reads Shakespeare. Hardly any dialogue there. Then again, Shakespeare readers will probably go see the film regardless, so I guess I get it.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Has no one else seen this?

Saw it today and I have to say: What a film.

Coriolanus, at least as played by Fiennes, is a fascinating character, and overall I thought the whole team did a great job making the film work in a way I didn't really expect it to.

Shakespeare is hard to do, but this is at least a great attempt (if not a great film).

@Timzila

"It is the business of fiction to embody mystery through manners, and mystery is a great embarrassment to the modern mind." (Flannery O'Connor, Mystery and Manners).