Sign in to follow this  
Peter T Chattaway

Inception (2010)

opus   

What really struck me in the teaser was its soundtrack. The ominous atmospherics and thudding percussion were far more evocative than the imagery (which did look cool); I was reminded of the "uncomfortable" moments in The Dark Knight's soundtrack, the crackling drones and strings that worked like a sort of secondary dialog for the Joker.

What really struck me in the teaser was its soundtrack. The ominous atmospherics and thudding percussion were far more evocative than the imagery (which did look cool); I was reminded of the "uncomfortable" moments in The Dark Knight's soundtrack, the crackling drones and strings that worked like a sort of secondary dialog for the Joker.

Totally agreed, J. Hans Zimmer did some nice work there.

gigi   

mmmm yeah me too. Never been much of a Nolan fan, think the Dark Knight is his only ok film and that is pretty flawed too. This looks purdy but I suspect it's the work of some very clever editors and the absolutely stunning sound that accompanies it.

Was anyone else reminded of The Shining?

techne   

or the matrix?

Was anyone else reminded of The Shining?

I hadn't thought of The Shining until you mentioned it, but going back to watch that on YouTube I definitely see it. My first thought was the original 3 minute Alien trailer (which was recently voted somewhere best. trailer. ever.), the one that has only the eerie music and then a klaxon alarm and then nearly a minute of silence accompanying the imagery. Almost scarier than the movie itself, and yet the trailer doesn't include any spoilers (trailer editors need to study this one).

Alien trailer (embedding disabled)

Persona   
or the matrix?

That was exactly my thought.

That was exactly my thought.

A lot of people are comparing the trailer to this movie. Is that just because, like, people are moving in the air? Considering some of the images the teaser flashes

gigi   

I have to say at first I thought the comparison was a little too obvious (Minority Report sprang to mind and also fell in this category), however I then thought that the plot themes seem to overlap substantially; i.e. a world created in one's head that does not correspond to reality, a criminal investigation. However, the most obvious comparison in this respect, I would have thought, would be Nolan's own Memento. I hope not as I thought that was a dull and uninspired film much as I thought that The Matrix was dressed up pop philosophy. However, I can't help but wonder what Nolan is capable of when left to his own devices with a large budget. Note that Nolan is credited as the sole writer on Inception.

As for the shifting center of gravity, does that mean we can compare it to Fred Astaire's infamous routine in Royal Wedding? (teasing)

Persona   
As for the shifting center of gravity, does that mean we can compare it to Fred Astaire's infamous routine in Royal Wedding? (teasing)

Now that was inspired filmmaking.

We might have to dig up the Memento thread, but, Gigi -- "dull and uninspired?"

I can understand someone's reaction to The Matrix as "dressed up pop philosophy." Years ago, maybe even more than a decade ago, we went round and round about it on earlier versions of the board. After some time I conceded that there are huge holes in its self-contained world and that, in terms of voilence and redemption, it couldn't practice very well what it was trying to preach. I still think The Matrix as a fan-boy's film simply rocks, but I'm willing to let that go even as I continue to love such thematic elements as the importance of making sound decisions at certain key points in life (the blue pill or the red pill) or realizing exactly who you are and being born again (Neo's story in general and the point at which Morpheus says "He's starting to believe").

But Memento? There were so many of us that fell in love with Christopher Nolan based on Following and Memento alone. After Insomnia and The Departed we were a little worried, but I'm certain many have been won back. He's clearly shown that he can manage big budgets after the two Batman films.

But why oh why all the Memento hate? Chris beat No

Edited by Persona

After Insomnia and The Departed we were a little worried, but I'm certain many have been won back. He's clearly shown that he can manage big budgets after the two Batman films.

Good thing he did not direct the Departed, eh? :)

(I hope you were not thinking of the Prestige, though, as I found that to be wonderfully entertaining little film-I wasn't worried by that one at all)

Persona   

Doy. Just watched The Departed this week, it must still be on the brain. (In fact is is. That's the second time I've seen it after the first time in the theater. I think I'll even be seeing it again soon.)

Yes, The Prestige, the one with the magic, correctomundo?

Yes, The Prestige, the one with the magic, correctomundo?

Yeah...with Jackman, Bale and Cain. You are not confusing that with the Illusionist though are you? That came out as the same time, and I seem to recall more people expressing disappointment with that one.

Edited by Nezpop

gigi   

After the umpteenth twist, I just didn't care who had killed his wife or why. I also find Nolan's camera to be hyper-active. The film also takes itself too seriously. Simple as. Matter of taste, I expect.

Perhaps it's more than that. I do think it is an overly plot-heavy film and I think the characterisation suffers in Nolan's attempts to be clever. I couldn't help but feel that he was trying his best to make his film stand out from the crowd of indie films so as to be recognised as a contender by the major film companies. As producer James Schamus said in a lecture I attended, to make it as a director, your first film has to make people sit up and pay attention for long enough to listen to your pitch for your second. I know Memento wasn't his first film, but it was the first film that got him attention on an international arena. Anyway, all this to say, I think Memento is 'all surface no feeling'. For me, that's just not enough.

But now I find myself back at square one: A matter of taste.

NBooth   

Thanks! I saw this one on YouTube but had a brain-freeze and didn't post it.

Well, The Matrix has already been mentioned, but after that trailor I'm also think Dark City, which of course has it's own strong connections to the The Matrix. I'm interested...

Nolan has always been a filmmaker who wears his influences on his sleeve, and INCEPTION seems to drawing from a number of different sources.

I'm rather excited. Nolan is working on his biggest film to date, and it's nice that it's an original, personal project. Nolan is by no stretch a perfect filmmaker, but I think he's a very entertaining one. At some point, though, I hope he steps away from the blockbusters to return to smaller fare. For my money, FOLLOWING is the best film Nolan has made.

Edited by Ryan H.

Persona   

I loved Follwing, but I'll bet it's been a decade since I've seen it. Need to queue that one up for a revisit soon.

I was totally sold on Memento though. At that point I thought, wow, this guy is full steam ahead. Then came the Norwegian Skarsgårdian remake and the magic show and Batman. And it's all nice, most of it stands out compared to other releases at the time. And I love The Dark Knight. It is brutal. Should've won the Oscar but wasn't even nominated...

But I'm with you on this one, Ryan. I do miss the olden days. The first two were so original, so fresh. And so much fun.

Tyler   

I loved Follwing, but I'll bet it's been a decade since I've seen it. Need to queue that one up for a revisit soon.

I was totally sold on Memento though. At that point I thought, wow, this guy is full steam ahead. Then came the Norwegian Skarsgårdian remake and the magic show and Batman. And it's all nice, most of it stands out compared to other releases at the time. And I love The Dark Knight. It is brutal. Should've won the Oscar but wasn't even nominated...

But I'm with you on this one, Ryan. I do miss the olden days. The first two were so original, so fresh. And so much fun.

Following is a watch instantly title on Netflix, if you have access to that.

Persona   

Thanks, Tyler! Maybe I'll check it out again this weekend.