Sign in to follow this  
Overstreet

Clue

Links to our threads and posts on Transformers (2007-2011), G.I. Joe (2009-2012) and Battleship (2012), as well as other toy- and game-based films in development such as Candy Land, Erector Sets, Hot Wheels, Magic 8 Ball, Major Matt Mason, Monopoly, Ouija, Risk and Stretch Armstrong. To say nothing of the Mr Potato Heads, Barbies and other real-life toys that appear in the Toy Story movies.

- - -

Universal Drops 'Clue;' Gore Verbinski Moves Forward With Hasbro Cash And New Writers

EXCLUSIVE: Universal Pictures has quietly dropped out of Clue, one of the seven Hasbro games properties the studio contracted to make into movies in a ground-breaking six-year exclusive deal signed in 2008. Clue becomes the third project out of seven to be dropped by Universal (Monopoly and Magic, The Gathering were also kicked to the curb), but none of those projects are dead. In the case of the murder mystery board game Clue, Hasbro is funding the development, and producing the film with Gore Verbinski's Blind Wink. Verbinski, director of the first three Pirates of the Caribbean films, Rango and the upcoming Lone Ranger, still plans to direct Clue, and he and Blind Wink's John Krauss are producing with Hasbro's Brian Goldner and Bennett Schneir.

They've just hired Flash Gordon scribes Burk Sharpless and Matt Sazama to write the Clue script. The writers will draft a take that Verbinski and his fellow producers came up with that retains the murder mystery spirit of the board game, but broadens the setting to a global stage. . . .

Mike Fleming, Deadline.com, August 3

So, this is the start of the bloated Clue Trilogy then? Who will Depp be I wonder.

So, this is the start of the bloated Clue Trilogy then? Who will Depp be I wonder.

Wadsworth?

Seriously, though, what's with this talk of broadening the stage to a global setting? What was it Hitchcock said about buying a stage play--you're buying the structure, so you should never open it up. Seems like making a movie out of a board game would follow the same principle: you keep the structure (and, in this case, the structure of the type of books it's imitating) and play around inside of that. Broadening the stage just confuses things.

Unless, of course, Communism is just a Red herring.

I'm gonna guess I've seen Clue* more times than any other member of this forum.

* There will always be only one Clue movie, and it will be a hilarious screwball comedy.

Has anyone confirmed this Clue will be darker and edgier than the first one?

As well as tealer and oranger?

Has anyone confirmed this Clue will be darker and edgier than the first one?

As well as tealer and oranger?

Inspectors Teale and Orange can interrogate Mr Green until he's blue in the face. He won't tell 'em anything.

Not really related, but I doubt it's worth starting a thread in the TV forum.... Did anyone know there's a kid's miniseries on the way?

There were two things that were my way in. Number one was the characters. I have a 15-year-old son, and his friends are always around and in my life. I just drew on them. Also, I was a big fan of the game growing up, and the thing that I really remembered about playing the game was arguing with my sisters about who I got to be. I was like, “I’ve gotta be Plum,” and my sister was like, “No, I’m Plum.” Those were two things that came together for me. I was like, “Well, it’s gotta be about these characters,” but I knew I didn’t want to have characters literally named Miss Scarlet or Colonel Mustard or Mr. Green. I thought, “Maybe there’s a way to take those archetypical Clue characters and infuse them into kids that I know, and kids that talk the way that kids I know talk, and act the way that kids I know act.”
Edited by NBooth

I'm gonna guess I've seen Clue* more times than any other member of this forum.

I dunno about that.

I'd be willing to put a bet against both of you if I could even venture a guess. I watched the film compulsively for awhile as a kid.

20th Century Fox Gets A “Clue” And Will Produce Classic Board Game Remake With Hasbro (EXCLUSIVE)
The long-in-development CLUE remake from Hasbro has landed at 20th Century Fox. Josh Feldman is producing for Hasbro Studios with Ryan Jones serving as the exec. Daria Cercek is overseeing for Fox.
Will it be Miss Scarlet in the conservatory with the candlestick? Or Mr. Green in the kitchen with a rope? It’s anyone’s guess at this point, as story details are still under wraps. We are hearing, however, that there’s a desire to move the story out of the parlor and make it a game of “worldwide mystery” with action-adventure elements, potentially setting up a possible franchise that could play well internationally.
Feldman, who previously worked for Simon Kinberg’s Genre Films before being tapped to head up Hasbro’s TV and film division, has greatly expanded the iconic toy company’s footprint in Hollywood since his tenure began in 2014. In addition to Clue, Hasbro’s development board also includes adaptations of Monopoly, Risk, and Candy Land, not to mention the ever-expanding Transformers universe at Paramount, another G.I. Joe sequel in the works, and multiple series on the TV side. . . .
The Tracking Board, August 16