I must have been hit in the head

draper

So some time in the middle of last week this figure starts repeating itself in my head. I can't place the melody but I keep trying. little bits and pieces come together.......

Suddenly I am listening to the Yes album and hitting repeat over Yours is No Disgrace............. I am not a fan of prog as a genre (is this prog?), I don't even like Yes. Somehow this got wedged in and has been waiting like a virus for the right conditions. Apparently a trip to Utah midwinter can dislodge some crazy stuff.

They are great players and I really do like Jon Andersons voice. It seems to me that they hadn't wandered down the Roger Dean mystical deep water cave of multiple musical notes yet. That would come later, in 1971 they were just figuring out how to play with Steve Howe. There is even a nice acoustic number lurking in there....

pretty cool music.

Edited by mumbleypeg

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."

Plato

You guys are both wimps. Be men. I listened to Yes, Genesis, ELP, King Crimson, Soft Machine, Atomic Rooster, and Can. I admit it. It hasn't hurt me a bit, except for perhaps the occasional need to wear a cape. Plus it's brought Rick Wakeman albums into my life. My wife hates Rick Wakeman more than any other musician, and has been known to run shrieking from the house at the first sound of his souped-up renditions of Grieg and Prokofiev. When used judiciously, this can create needed privacy. I thank God for the blessings of Prog.

Nothing to be ashamed of really... unless your talking about anything post-Tormato. Those first couple albums are hefty musical statements and worthy of serious dialogue.

"The things we enjoy are channels through which the divine glory strikes us, and those who love and delight in any good thing may yet learn to love God." --Gilbert Meilaender

Sorry Andy, but I am not wandering down the Rick Wakeman corridor but perhaps a genre reevaluation and... a... cape?

I said I don't like prog but I've got plenty of time for Genesis. The run from Nursery Cryme through Trick of the Tail is all good. Now if you start talking about Soft Machine and the trail of jazz/Miles influenced mayhem that tunnels toward Can and Krautrock. Turn on the black light and hunker down in the basement.

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."

Plato

I'm a big fan of Yes during their true Yes period through the late 70s; I fancied them during their Maybe period (late 70s through mid 80s); I avoid their No period (late 80s through late 90s), and I liked their album they did with the symphony orchestra (Magnification in the early '00s.

To be truly initiated into the Prog fraternity, though, you must listen to Tales from Topographic Oceans in its eternity, and at the end of each album side, you must say, "Yes, sir, may I have another."

My rock and roll dream is to be transported back to the early 70s and make a prog rock epic titled "The Five Points of Calvinism", where each point makes up a song taking up the side of an album. It would be the height of self-indulgence in every way possible. Of course, only four points could fit onto a double album, so "Limited Atonement" would have to get the shaft. But with a fantasy prog band of Steve Howe, Robert Fripp, Bill Bruford, Chris Squire, Carl Palmer, Rick Wakeman, Tony Banks, and Peter Gabriel, I would rule the prog rock world!

:ukflag::boombox:

On Youtube there is a cool UK documentary about the British Prog Rock Scene in the '70s. Parts 1, 2, and 3 are at the links below

It almost makes me want to hunt down some vintage Caravan, Mike Oldfield, Egg. Almost. But I'll stick to my Genesis 1970-1975 box set and Yes, Close to the Edge for now.

Edited by Crow