Today's favorite: Dupery

What's your favorite scene of one character pulling the wool over another character's eyes in order to distract them so that he, she, or others can sneak past unnoticed?

I love Fozzie Bear taking a pizza order so his pals can get through in their quest to foil the theft of the Baseball Diamond.

I'm fond of Indiana Jones's posing as a Scottish lord, even if it is one of Indy's least plausible moments.

What springs to mind?

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

The bank-robbers pretending to be musicians in the 1955 (Alec Guinness) version of The Ladykillers.

Princess Caraboo--based on a true story!

Matchstick Men

But my favorite of all hasn't been made into a movie yet. It's in chapter (#) of The Game of Kings by Dorothy Dunnett, in which the hero rescues one of his men by disguising himself as a Spanish captain. But if that, or any of the five books that follow it in the Lymond Chronicles, are put on screen, they'll need a six-hour miniseries or three-hour blockbuster to do it justice.

There is this difference between the growth of some human beings and that of others: in the one case it is a continuous dying, in the other a continuous resurrection. (George MacDonald, The Princess and Curdie)

Isn't narrative structure enough of an ideology for art? (Greg Wright)

In Shaun of the Dead, when Shaun distracts the zombies so that his friends can make their way safely into the Winchester Pub, only to unknowingly fail to lose the zombies, and lead them to the pubs back entrance.

Or, better yet, the scene that comes before, when Shaun and his pals walking among the dead doing their best zombie impersonations.

Edited by Baal_T'shuvah

Formerly Baal_T'shuvah

"Everyone has the right to make an ass out of themselves. You just can't let the world judge you too much." - Maude 
Harold and Maude

I think one of my favorite examples of this sort of scene is an example of failure: Han Solo nervously trying to punk the Death Star authorities on the cellblock comlink:

"Uh, everything's under control, situation normal … we had a slight weapons malfunction, but uh… everything's perfectly all right now … we're fine … we're all fine here … now … thank you … how are you?"

I love the way he cocks his head as he goes for the final casual conceit, then immediately winces as he realizes his inane mistake.

Props to Jacques for thinking of the chess endgame in The Seventh Seal, surely one of the most unique and powerful examples of the device.

Any Bugs Bunny cartoon where Bugs dressed up as a girl bunny to distract Elmer Fudd.

Bugs in drag was always playing a "bunny" of the human variety, not the lapine. (What would Elmer Fudd want with a female rabbit?)

Most celebrated example would of course be Bugs's turn as Brunhilde (as opposed to Broom Hilda) in "What's Opera, Doc?" But I also love his Scarlett in, I think, "Southern Fried Rabbit" ("He's not in he-ere! He's not in he-ere!" "Ah'll, uh, take your wuhd for it, Scahlett, ma'am"), where his dupe is not Elmer but Yosemite Sam, as well as the classic banter between drag-Bugs and Daffy in "Rabbit Seasoning" ("Out of sheer honesty, I demand that you tell him who you are! Well? Haven't you anything to say? Anything? Out of sheer honesty? Huh?" "Yea-us! I would just lo-o-ove a duck dinnah!"), where he's doing a non-period Southern belle, this time for Elmer's benefit.

Peter can probably come up with further memorable examples. :)

Edited by SDG

“I write because I don’t know what I think until I read what I say.” — Flannery O'Connor

Writing at the new Decent Films | Follow me on Twitter and Facebook

Hmm, this thread is starting to remind me of Garth Elgar's quotation from Wayne's World (a film which also features some choice examples - e.g. in the second film the YMCA sequence)

"Did you ever find Bugs Bunny attractive when he put on a dress and played girl bunny? "

Matt

Hmm, this thread is starting to remind me of Garth Elgar's quotation from Wayne's World (a film which also features some choice examples - e.g. in the second film the YMCA sequence)

"Did you ever find Bugs Bunny attractive when he put on a dress and played girl bunny? "

There it is again! Coincidence? Or was Crow somehow influenced by the "Wayne's World" quotation when he wrote "girl bunny"? Or is this a common mistake? Or am I missing something?

“I write because I don’t know what I think until I read what I say.” — Flannery O'Connor

Writing at the new Decent Films | Follow me on Twitter and Facebook

For some reason the only contribution I can think of making to this thread right now is to think of movies where people have pretended to be gay in order to take advantage of gay (or sexually ambiguous) characters in some way: Arnold Schwarzenegger does this in Conan the Barbarian, Bruce Willis does this in The Jackal, there are probably lots of other examples.

Oh! and then there are characters who pretend to be gay in order to dupe members of the OPPOSITE sex, such as Rock Hudson pretending to be gay around Doris Day in Pillow Talk.

In a similar vein, there are men who merely pretend to be impotent in order to trick women into "fixing" them, e.g. the Tony Curtis and Marilyn Monroe characters in Some Like It Hot. (Of course, Curtis and Jack Lemmon spend much of the movie in drag in order to trick OTHER people into thinking that they are women, period.)

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

Oh! and then there are characters who pretend to be gay in order to dupe members of the OPPOSITE sex, such as Rock Hudson pretending to be gay around Doris Day in Pillow Talk.

I don't think he was pretending. Oh, you mean his character.

A foreign movie can't be stupid.

-from the film
Armin