Fantastic Four Reboot

Jeff

I just really it heavy handed...it looks intensely serious, and that is just not the Fantastic Four...the world may be abut to get eaten, but the FF are fun to see stop it from coming to pass.  TThe film just does not look like it is fun.

"You know...not EVERY story has to be interesting." -Gibby

I just really it heavy handed...it looks intensely serious, and that is just not the Fantastic Four...the world may be abut to get eaten, but the FF are fun to see stop it from coming to pass.  TThe film just does not look like it is fun.

This fits with what I was saying sort of.  How does a Cronenberg influence fit in with something like the Fantastic Four that was originally so very teen orientated and campy fun?

Edited by Attica

• 1 month later...

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

That's sadly not much more impressive than in the 1994 Fantastic Four film, at least in still form.

Ffmovie1994.jpg

In case you were wondering, my name is spelled "Denes House," but it's pronounced "Throatwobbler Mangrove."

• 4 weeks later...

A full trailer, giving a glimpse of Dr. Doom:

https://youtu.be/_rRoD28-WgU

This trailer makes the tone feel, at once, much more serious and a bit more fun.

(And for some reason, it won't show the actual video. I have the worst luck embedding trailers at A&F)

Edited by Joel Mayward

(And for some reason, it won't show the actual video. I have the worst luck embedding trailers at A&F)

It won't embed if the URL starts with HTTPS. I took the S out, and it works now. (PTC showed me that trick.)

Edited by Tyler

It's the side effects that save us.
--The National, "Graceless"
Twitter Blog

It won't embed if the URL starts with HTTPS. I took the S out, and it works now. (PTC showed me that trick.)

Ah, thanks Tyler! This is not the first time I've somehow messed up a link/embed, nor will it be the last.

• 1 month later...

Apparently there might be some new footage in this MovieTickets.com ad:

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

• 1 month later...

Fox has cancelled the 3D conversion, even though the film's availability in 3D was part of the film's ad campaign months ago.

Kinda makes you think Fox has given up on the movie itself, doesn't it? Though they *are* still advertising it quite heavily (in what seems like a futile bid to generate audience interest in the film).

(And never mind the fact that many North Americans -- and presumably many A&Fers -- don't like 3D. The 3D format is still *hugely* popular overseas, and overseas is where the real money is these days anyway. For the studio to just *drop* that aspect of the film seems... inauspicious.)

FWIW, Drew McWeeny tweeted a day or two ago that the reason the 3D conversion was cancelled was because the film had been finished (picture locked, etc.) only three days earlier. And yes, the film comes out in a just a few weeks. So there was simply no time to do a proper conversion in those few weeks.

In the meantime, here's the final trailer:

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

I haven't posted *all* of the ads out there, as they get pretty redundant pretty quickly, but this new TV spot has lots of new footage:

• 3 weeks later...

Yesterday, as late-night "previews" were warming up across the continent, director Josh Trank publicly tweeted that the studio had ruined his movie and was responsible for all the bad reviews it was getting. He soon yanked the tweet, but not before many people had screencapped it for posterity.

If this movie disappoints at the box office this weekend, I suspect the studio won't (just) be blaming the reviews.

Fantastic Four is on track to gross only $27 million this weekend. That's less than half what the last two FF films opened to, and one of the lowest openings ever for a movie based on a Marvel comic book.

As it stands right now, an opening in that range would rank 32nd of the 39 Marvel-based films produced so far. It would be ahead of only Ghost Rider 2, Blade 1 + 3, The Punisher 1 + 2, Elektra and Howard the Duck.

And four of those films -- the Blade and Punisher films -- were rated R, and were thus intentionally aimed at a narrower audience than the PG-13 Fantastic Four. So once you bracket those films off: among PG or PG-13 Marvel-based films, Fantastic Four is ahead of only Ghost Rider 2, Elektra and Howard the Duck.

Tyler wrote:

: Ended up with $26.2 million, behind Mission: Impossible for the weekend.

That's one of the lowest openings ever for a film based on a Marvel comic. It currently ranks 32nd out of 39 films, and four of the films with smaller openings (two Blades and both Punishers) were rated R, so they were basically deliberately going after narrower audiences anyway. That means the only PG or PG-13 Marvel-based films that had worse openings than this one are 2012's Ghost Rider 2, 2005's Elektra and 1986's Howard the Duck.

Hitfix rounds up 12 scenes from the trailers that are NOT IN THE FILM, including some biggies (like The Thing falling from an airplane into a military base, or Reed Richards talking to Victor Von Doom about "what's coming").