Sign in to follow this  

Flight of the Conchords

I haven't had HBO for about 3 years, so I've not seen the series. But the Conchords did appear in one of my favorite episodes of HBO's One Night Stand. Business Time may be my favorite song of theirs (not sure if they've used it in the series).

Jemaine (Barry White-like narration):

Aww yeah

That's right baby.

Girl, tonight we're gonna make love. You know how I know, baby? 'Cause it's Wednesday. And Wednesday night is the night that we make love. Tuesday night's the night that we go and visit your mother, but Wednesday night is the night that we make love. 'Cause everything is just right - conditions are perfect. There's nothing good on TV. Conditions are perfect. You lean in close and say something sexy like, "I might go to bed I've got work in the morning." I know what you're trying to say baby. You're trying to say, "Oh, yeah. It's business time." It's business time.

Edited by Baal_T'shuvah

MattPage   

I love it

Though I think "The Humans are Dead", or probably "Most Beautiful Girl in the Room" is my favourite.

But I think it's Murray who steals the show.

Matt

This was a brilliant show, sorry to find out the season finale was the series finale (but then, at the same time it ended perfectly). This was a beautifully subtle comedy. A friend came to visit on the opening night of Watchmen, and I showed him an episode from the first season before we went to the movie. I love that the you can set up the entire premise of the show so people are not lost as to what is going on so simply:

The Flight of the Conchords is a NZ folk genre-parody band who have come to America "too make it big." They have one fan. They have an inept and clueless manager. And there are musical numbers.

My wife and I used BUSINESS TIME at our Valentine's event for our church last year. Everyone loved it.

Along with the other titles mentioned, I also love Faux le fa fa - or some such title.

Denny

MattP   

FOTC is neck and neck with Curb Your Enthusiasm and 30 Rock for best comedy on tv. Murray does steal the show for me on almost a weekly basis, but when it's not Murray it's Mel. Like Matt, I'm a big fan of The Humans are Dead and The Most Beautiful Girl in the Room (weren't they both from the first episode?) But since it hasn't been mentioned yet, and since it's more recent, I'm going to have to throw in a vote for Too Many Dicks on the Dance Floor.

How come no one ever watches any of the good shows?

MattPage   

My one gripe with Murray is that he's a little too David Brent. But usually I just put that out of my head and enjoy it for what it's worth.

Matt

MattP   

--content deleted--

You're probably right about CYE. I've been catching up on dvd, so I'm not necessarily on the same part of the rollercoaster as everyone else.

Agreed on BBT - didn't know anyone else watched that show. I was just telling someone that that show is one of the few sitcoms on tv today that comes close to approximating what sitcoms used to be - before they were all about sex or being ironic.

But I disagree on 30R and The Office. The Office is the one that has faded quite a bit for me. The original was brilliant, but we're seeing now what happens when they've got to continue cranking out so many episodes a season in such a limited scope of a show. I still tune in, but find an episode I really enjoy only 1 out of every 3 or 4. The ratio is reversed on 30R. That show just gets better and better. The episode a few weeks ago with Jon Hamm "in the bubble" and Tracy leaving the show had me consistently laughing thoughout.