Sign in to follow this  
Rich Kennedy

Prop bet advice

By now, most of us have read of the spanking handed to the MSU Spartans Monday night by the glorious men in God's Own Blue. One of the guys I work with, offended at my allegiance bet me that MSU would win. He took his own time on a price and opened with $100. I stred at him quizzically until he finally settled on $10. Next day he gave me the money and said I was "lucky" I'd won. That's now his new name. I was wondering what game he saw.

He wants his money back. This is my prop bet: The Lions (I contend) will not select a quarterback with the first pick of the draft. The pundits, national and local, are split down the middle on this. Do y'all think this is a fair and maybe 50/50 proposition?

My own feelings are that if I lose this bet, there will be nothing to root for for an awful long time as a Lions fan.

If you want to lose, I'd say its a good bet. Most every mock draft I've seen has them selecting Stafford. But you never know, Houston fooled everyone a couple of years ago when they, out of the blue, picked Mario Williams instead of Reggie Bush or Vince Young. Like Houston at the time, I'm sure the Lions would be crucified for this, but it worked out pretty well for Houston.

Did you ever see the short lived TV series Ed with Tom Cavanaugh? One of the best parts of the show was an ongoing between the title character and his brother. In every episode the same $10 bill was passed back and forth under the bet of "$10 if you do ... " My favorite: "$10 if you can get the grocery worker to direct you to the lettuce section in under 5 minutes". The catch: "you can't pronounce it 'letucce', you have to pronounce it 'lay-toose'".

If you want to lose, I'd say its a good bet. Most every mock draft I've seen has them selecting Stafford. But you never know, Houston fooled everyone a couple of years ago when they, out of the blue, picked Mario Williams instead of Reggie Bush or Vince Young. Like Houston at the time, I'm sure the Lions would be crucified for this, but it worked out pretty well for Houston.

This is why I'm hoping, as a desperate Lions fan, that Schwartz won't do this. Moneyball for NFL statistics suggest the following: the most overpriced position in football is a high first round QB. The absolutely most undervalued position is a journeyman QB. I hope that all remember Andre' Ware and Joey "Blue Skies" Herrington (our most recent 1st round QB). No one on the team had a better attitude or work ethic than Herrington. And he was excellent in college and had good QB coaching to boot. He had no one, no one around him to protect him. Schwartz knows this. I believe that Tennessee played the Lions during that era. Besides, it's a Lions tradition to have no offensive line to speak of. The best comeback to "Smith is better than Sanders" was always, "Let's trade O-lines and then we'll see."

Besides, Stafford is far from a sure thing and Schwartz knows this. He only needs to read the cover of Sporting News to confirm....

Did you ever see the short lived TV series Ed with Tom Cavanaugh? One of the best parts of the show was an ongoing between the title character and his brother. In every episode the same $10 bill was passed back and forth under the bet of "$10 if you do ... " My favorite: "$10 if you can get the grocery worker to direct you to the lettuce section in under 5 minutes". The catch: "you can't pronounce it 'letucce', you have to pronounce it 'lay-toose'".

Not his brother. His best friend the #2 doctor in town. Loved the show.

Edited by Rich Kennedy

That's right. I forgot. That show needs to go to DVD stat. It would be a nice accompaniment to my Stuckey Bowl coffee mug.

Are there any outstanding offensive lineman? I'm never really in the position to evaluate such a position.