PCA GA Concert

Christian

I'm putting this in "Music," although maybe it belongs in the "Religion" area, or even "Short Term Parking."

The upcoming PCA General Assembly will include a concert featuring Mo Leverett, Laura Story and The Well.

I don't know a thing about Story or The Well, but Leverett once recorded for the short-lived Storyville label, which was home to many Christian folkies -- and an oasis for those of us who, in the early 1990s, were looking for music by Christians that wasn't the usual "Christian music."

Leverett taught a course at RTS DC a few years ago. You can read more about his ministry activities in the linked story.

I don't think we have many PCAers on this site, but if anyone attends the GA, please report on the concert.

Edited by Christian

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

First, I'm a PCAer and proud of it. But more importantly, the Storyville label was awesome! I loved Mo Leveritt's "Sacred Desires" album. I also had Phil and John's "Carnival of Clowns" and two Eden Burning albums. There was also an album by Pam Mark Hall that had some good tunes on it, as well as one by Nicholas Giaconia. As you said, these recordings were a great alternative to Carman and whoever else was burning up the Christian airwaves at the time.

First, I'm a PCAer and proud of it. But more importantly, the Storyville label was awesome! I loved Mo Leveritt's "Sacred Desires" album. I also had Phil and John's "Carnival of Clowns" and two Eden Burning albums. There was also an album by Pam Mark Hall that had some good tunes on it, as well as one by Nicholas Giaconia. As you said, these recordings were a great alternative to Carman and whoever else was burning up the Christian airwaves at the time.

Nick Giaconia? I know Nick. I had no idea he was still making music. And I remember Pam Mark Hall, although the album I have is from 1979, I believe.

The Storyville label was not affiliated with the PCA in any way. (And just to clarify, Storyville went out of business years ago, probably in the early 90s, after releasing only 10 or 15 albums total.) The only connection here is that Mo Leveritt, who recorded a couple of albums for Storyville back in the day, is an elder in the PCA. He used to run Desire Street Ministries in New Orleans pre-Katrina.

I just searched online for info on Storyville and there really isn't much out there. Not surprisingly, there's a New Orleans-based jazz label with the same name.

I think Storyville was based in Chicago and probably had connections to JPUSA. The only Storyville artist/song I ever heard on Christian radio was Phil and John's "Redemption Song." (No, it wasn't a Bob Marley cover). If I were to go back and listen to some of these albums now, I wouldn't be surprised if they would sound embarrassing. But they sure were exciting at the time.

I don't know if I still have Nicholas Giaconia's album, but I remember it had a hidden track at the end called "Amy's Song" which was all about the Amy Grant divorce scandal and the Christian media's response to it. Fun times.

Edited by morgan1098

The Storyville label was not affiliated with the PCA in any way. (And just to clarify, Storyville went out of business years ago, probably in the early 90s, after releasing only 10 or 15 albums total.) The only connection here is that Mo Leveritt, who recorded a couple of albums for Storyville back in the day, is an elder in the PCA. He used to run Desire Street Ministries in New Orleans pre-Katrina.

I just searched online for info on Storyville and there really isn't much out there. Not surprisingly, there's a New Orleans-based jazz label with the same name.

I think Storyville was based in Chicago and probably had connections to JPUSA. The only Storyville artist/song I ever heard on Christian radio was Phil and John's "Redemption Song." (No, it wasn't a Bob Marley cover). If I were to go back and listen to some of these albums now, I wouldn't be surprised if they would sound embarrassing. But they sure were exciting at the time.

I don't know if I still have Nicholas Giaconia's album, but I remember it had a hidden track at the end called "Amy's Song" which was all about the Amy Grant divorce scandal and the Christian media's response to it. Fun times.

I own that Nick Giaconia CD. I believe he put out at least one other album after that. I had two Storyville sampler CDs, which is how I was exposed to Giacona's music. I also loved a particular female singer/songwriter/pianist, whose stuff was very folkie. But I never bought her CD. I've got a couple of Eden Burning CDs but didn't remember that they were affiliated with the label.

Wasn't Jan Krist a Storyville artist?

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

Just to reiterate: these artists and the Storyville label are not related to the PCA in any way, aside from the aforementioned Mo Leverett.

I found a blog post with some interesting info on the Nicholas Giaconia album and a bit of history about the Storyville label and its demise:

Out Walking: Do You Know This Man?

Here are a few album covers from Storyville artists:

markhallpam93.jpg

Pam Mark Hall/Paler Shade

thumb_5106.jpg

Phil and John/Carnival of Clowns

datc.jpg

The Crossing/Dancing at the Crossroads

Do these ring any bells? Probably not. :)

Edited by morgan1098

Just to reiterate: these artists and the Storyville label are not related to the PCA in any way, aside from the aforementioned Mo Leverett.

I found a blog post with some interesting info on the Nicholas Giaconia album and a bit of history about the Storyville label and its demise:

Out Walking: Do You Know This Man?

Here are a few album covers from Storyville artists:

markhallpam93.jpg

Pam Mark Hall/Paler Shade

thumb_5106.jpg

Phil and John/Carnival of Clowns

datc.jpg

The Crossing/Dancing at the Crossroads

Do these ring any bells? Probably not. :)

Nice article. Nick lived in Columbus for a number of years, then made the big break for Nashville back in the mid-to-late '90s, as I recall. I used to hang out with him a bit. I remember Nick opening for George Clinton and Parliament/Funkadelic, which remains one of the strangest double bills I've ever encountered.

Also a PCAer here, not that there's anything wrong with that. And I also was a fan of Eden Burning, at least once upon a time. I don't feel like it's held up as well as some of the other albums from that time that I was a fan of. (Burlap to Cashmere...)

Doesn't Danny Wuerffel (former FL Heisman-winning quarterback) run Desire Street these days?

"You guys don't really know who you're dealing with."

"Oh yeah, and who exactly are we dealing with?"

"I'm the mother flippin' rhymenoceros."

I'm in the PCA as well, and I remember Storyville. I only bought one Eden Burning album -- it was a live recording, IIRC -- but I liked it quite a bit back in the day.

"I feel a nostalgia for an age yet to come..."
Opus, Twitter, Facebook

Hm. I might have a Nick Giaconia product around here somewhere ... I liked Eden Burning and the Crossing; met one of the guys from the Crossing and played a couple of gigs with him in Chicago.

But I am PCUSA, so I don't count.

Edited by mrmando

Let's Carl the whole thing Orff!

Do you know the deep dark secret of the avatars?

It's big. It's fat. It's Greek.

I'm a PCAer as well, and I've heard of Mo Leverett and Desire Street Ministries. I know Danny Wuerffel is invloved with Desire Street but I don't know if he runs it.

I also loved Storyville, and I think I may still have a sampler CD of theirs lying around somewhere. I'm pretty sure Jan Krist was on Storyville, too.

Edited by MichLK

• 1 month later...

Very late to the conversation, but I just want to say, thanks for spelling my name correctly.

P-Funk and Mattie Groves was indeed a weird night, would not repeat.

And a side note, the Amy song was written back in 1985, before her divorce, so it really does not apply to that time of her life.

For the full story on Storyville, Amy Grant, and anything else, let me know, I'd be glad to fill you in.

Nick

Very late to the conversation, but I just want to say, thanks for spelling my name correctly.

P-Funk and Mattie Groves was indeed a weird night, would not repeat.

And a side note, the Amy song was written back in 1985, before her divorce, so it really does not apply to that time of her life.

For the full story on Storyville, Amy Grant, and anything else, let me know, I'd be glad to fill you in.

Nick

Wow, thanks for chiming in here, Mr. Giaconia! I'd love to read your thoughts on Storyville, Amy Grant, etc. If you don't want to post them all here, feel free to PM me (is that possible through this forum?). And my apologies... after my post about "The Amy Song" being about Amy Grant's divorce, I went back and listened to it and realized, as you said, that it was written long before that period. And then I got depressed when I remembered how much she got criticized for having the audacity to wear a leopard-print jacket on her album cover. :(

When I made my ill fated move to Nashville as previously mentioned, all sorts of strange things happened. I was first immediately signed to a mainstream rock label that went out of business faster than Storyville. I went through a divorce and in the process made rather good friends with none other than Vince Gill, Amy Grants husband.

I remarried 4 years ago, and now have a beautiful 8 day old baby girl. Also, 4 years ago, I underwent a medical procedure on my neck that left me with a paralyzed left vocal chord. Needless to say my singing has taken a back seat. Not to worry, I still do perform, but without the "gusto" of later days. If you never heard the Mattie Grove record, it was a more robust than the "Center" record.

For employment, things have gone my way and I can't complain. I've been in the health care world for 5 years and all is well. Which brings me to the owner of that record label.

As an artist on REX/Storyville, I never saw a dime of mechanical royalties. These are royalties that are always secured to the songwriter and are non recoup-able. In other words, if you own your publishing like I did, you receive mechanicals at record 1 in sales. The cost of recording the record comes out of artist royalties.

It turns out, I was not alone, and when REX/Storyville closed their doors, Gavin Morkel made off with our money. He now owns a club in Nashville where people join to hang out on Friday and Saturday night to have sex. I'm not kidding. It's called Menages (sp?) look it up on line.

Funny how life comes around. A resume came across my desk a year and half ago. It was for one Sascha Morkel; Gavins daughter. I hired her.

This in long, and I apologize, but let me say that Vince and Amy are two of sweetest people I've ever met. They walk the road less traveled, and are revered for their character in this town. The two of them have helped me in ways that can never be measured I have the privilege of knowing the "whole story" as told by the both of them, and it was not pretty. I wouldn't allow rumor to formulate my opinion about anyone or anything, and in this case that is very important. Christians? Absolutely. Perfect? Closer than I am.

NG

Congratulations on your new baby!

And thanks for the insights. I had secretly hoped that the reason Storyville folded was because it was too visionary/cutting edge for its time. I'm sorry to learn that the truth is much less glamorous and in fact quite ugly, but that is often the case, isn't it? I'll take your word for it on Mr. Morkel's sex business... if I tried to look something like that up online here at work I might get fired. :)

Thanks again for chiming in here, Mr. Giaconia. God bless you.