Sign in to follow this  
Thom

Mandy Moore cusses it up!

I found this quite humorus...

"People have this image of me as wholesome, and that

...the kind of film criticism we do. We are talking about life, and more than that the possibility of abundant life." -M.Leary

"Dad, how does she move in mysterious ways?"" -- Jude (my 5-year-old, after listening to Mysterious Ways)

[once upon a time known here as asher]

Seems to me that she is trying to walk a thin line

...the kind of film criticism we do. We are talking about life, and more than that the possibility of abundant life." -M.Leary

"Dad, how does she move in mysterious ways?"" -- Jude (my 5-year-old, after listening to Mysterious Ways)

asher wrote:

: Seems to me that she is trying to walk a thin line

Really? You can be wholesome and use the f-word. It's easy!

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

What the "F" are you takling about? :wink:

Karin Berquist drops the F-bomb on Ohio. She makes it sound so...pretty.

"...the vivid crossing of borders between film and theology may save the film from the banality of cinema and festival business, and it may also save the church from the deep sleep of the habitual and the always known."

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter

Satan makes sin sound quite beautiful as well.

Every word that can be used as a cuss does indeed have meaning, and thus there is indeed an appropriate place for it.

And as far as I can tell, when Karin uses it in "Ohio", it is a very appropriate use of the word.

The s-word is too often bashed as a cuss, when I think it is frequently used very appropriately. People are fine saying something "stinks". They are fine saying "that's a load of horse pooey." If used carefully, it can be a fair comparion.

When Bono uses it in "Wake Up, Dead Man": "Jesus, help me / I'm alone in this world / and an f'd up world it is too..." I agree with him. We have, to get nit-picky, violated the world God has given us. And thus, by the strict meaning of the word, we have truly f'd it up. That's exactly how Karin uses it.

But such words are strong... and thus, people abuse them and use them excessively. They rely on heavy blunt instruments because they are not eloquent enough to make their points more appropriately. And that's where the problem comes in. Insensitivity, aggression, anger... the dark side are they.

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

The most beautiful F-word in music history is Aimee Mann's in the outro of "How Am I Different?" I am curious how Karin's will compare.

I am surprised that Over the Rhine continues to play Cornerstone -- from C'stone's POV, not OtR's -- and shocked that the band apparently plays other Christian festivals as well. Not that I'm complaining, mind.

Dale

Metalfoot on Emmanuel Shall Come to Thee's Noel: "...this album is...monotony...bland, tripy fare..."

Satan makes sin sound quite beautiful as well.

I am going to just pretend you did not compare those two. Can't cussing be as artful as nudity? I think people like Chuck Palahniuk so much because he uses commonplace obscenity in such an artful manner.

"...the vivid crossing of borders between film and theology may save the film from the banality of cinema and festival business, and it may also save the church from the deep sleep of the habitual and the always known."

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter

I'm waiting for Peter to jump in here. When this thread came up in the early days, he had a lot to say on the subject. If I remember right, he had done some good research on how strong language is frequently used in the Bible... even by Christ himself... appropriately, of course.

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

And as far as I can tell, when Karin uses it in "Ohio", it is a very appropriate use of the word.

I'm kind of surprised to hear about that. In the live version of "Give Me Strength" on The Cutting Room Floor, Karin takes out the "s-word," doesn't she? It kind of gave me the impression that she'd rather not use taboo words.

I'm sure it's in good taste on Ohio, though.

Partner in Cahoots

www.cahootsmag.com

Good taste is still subjective.

(M)Leary do not turn a blind eye or a deaf ear to my comment, I have said it.

I am not one to judge another's walk with Christ by the language they choose nor will I accept the language they choose by the spirituality they may claim.

Appropriate or inappropriate are both incredibly subjective circumstances. Simply because one might find it appropriate does not mean another would find it inappropriate. Bono uses the

Jeffrey Overstreet wrote:

: I'm waiting for Peter to jump in here. When this thread came up in the

: early days, he had a lot to say on the subject. If I remember right, he

: had done some good research on how strong language is frequently used

: in the Bible... even by Christ himself... appropriately, of course.

Not only that, but I even referred to Karin's use of the s-word in the songs 'Give Me Strength' and 'Daddy Untwisted', as well as her husband's use of the f-word in a poem on carnal marital bliss on the band's web site.

For my comments on this subject at the OnFilm list, in response to some questions Jeff threw our way two years ago (almost exactly to the day), click here.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

I am surprised that Over the Rhine continues to play Cornerstone -- from C'stone's POV, not OtR's...

Well, rather than continue to be surprised at "C'stone's POV," perhaps you shouldn't be so glibly certain about either a) the existence of "C'stone's POV" or cool.gif your determination of what that is. Hmmmmmmm... :wink:

I have read Peter

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter

asher wrote:

: I really wonder if we find it there and interpret it as such simply because

: we want to justify our actions and the freedoms we long for.

The big question here is why our actions need justifying in the first place. And the only reason they need justifying is because someone objects to them. Which means the real question is why we should care if someone happens to object to them, and why easily offended people should be given the right or the opportuntiy to squelch the freedoms of those who are not so easily offended. Like Paul says in Romans 14 with regard to meat and holy days, each person should be convinced in his or her own mind.

My parents used to say that my friends and I were trying to "justify" the use of words like "darn" and "heck", too. But who among us here today seriously believes that these are words that need justifying?

Jeffrey For my comments on this subject at the OnFilm list, in response to some questions Jeff threw our way two years ago (almost exactly to the day).

Now that is ironic. Must be seasonal.

asher wrote:

: I really wonder if we find it there and interpret it as such simply because

: we want to justify our actions and the freedoms we long for.

The big question here is why our actions need justifying in the first place. And the only reason they need justifying is because someone objects to them. Which means the real question is why we should care if someone happens to object to them, and why easily offended people should be given the right or the opportuntiy to squelch the freedoms of those who are not so easily offended. Like Paul says in Romans 14 with regard to meat and holy days, each person should be convinced in his or her own mind.

I agree with everything you have said above. I am not saying that our actions need justifying only that many want to justify their actions either to relieve them of guilt/conviction or to give them reason to experience freedom any way they please without any accountability. This certainly would apply to more than just use of language.

As for the whole "meat" issue I think we should leave that to what it is speaking to, which I do not believe is the use of language, although it could be stretched to apply but I consider it more of a grasp.

h_,mike_wrote:

: Well, rather than continue to be surprised at "C'stone's POV," perhaps

: you shouldn't be so glibly certain about either a) the existence

: of "C'stone's POV" or cool.gif your determination of what that is.

: Hmmmmmmm... :wink:

Writing about Cornerstone would be so much easier without a little Cornerstone birdie looking over my shoulder. But so much less fun! Besides, being glib is my raison d'

Metalfoot on Emmanuel Shall Come to Thee's Noel: "...this album is...monotony...bland, tripy fare..."

I find that

That was a helpful and thought-provoking link, Peter -- intriguing to consider that Jesus used the term a**hole, in the context of his statements about clean-vs.-unclean, no less.

To me, it seems that believers often fail to make the important distinction between cusswords and taking the Lord's name in vain. Whereas it's never appropriate to toss around God's or Jesus' name profanely, there seems to be a time and place for such things as the 's' word and the 'f' word.

To be an artist is never to avert one's eyes.
- Akira Kurosawa

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/secularcinephile/

asher wrote:

: As for the whole "meat" issue I think we should leave that to what it is

: speaking to, which I do not believe is the use of language, although it

: could be stretched to apply but I consider it more of a grasp.

On the contrary, Paul is speaking in broad, general terms about basic principles, and dietary laws and holy days are just two of the issues that the church faced in his day which required him to explicate those principles. It doesn't take any "grasping" at all to apply those same basic principles to the subject of vocabulary -- especially since Paul had a talent for sharp, stinging rebukes and startling turns of phrase himself.

M. Dale Prins wrote:

: It's just a bit odd, from my POV, that a festival that has seminars

: promoting strict creationism (so says PTC, at least) . . .

Not quite -- Phillip E. Johnson and the rest of the 'intelligent design' crowd are pretty careful to distinguish themselves from 'strict creationism'. From what I've seen, it seems they make their position deliberately vague, and for two reasons -- one, it covers up the many disagreements they have among themselves, and two, it makes it harder for their opponents to argue with them. The whole 'intelligent design' thing is really more of a philosophical movement than a scientific one, when you get right down to it -- Johnson's real beef is not with evolution, per se, but with philosophical (and perhaps methodological?) naturalism.

Just gotta jump in and note that "Wake Up, Dead Man" is an Edge lyric. That is all... smile.gif

"It's a dangerous business going out your front door." -- J.R.R. Tolkien
"I want to believe in art-induced epiphanies." -- Josie
"I would never be dismissive of pop entertainment; it's much too serious a matter for that." -- NBooth

"If apologetics could prove God, I would lose all faith in Him." -- Josie

"What if--just what if--the very act of storytelling is itself redemptive? What if gathering up the scraps and fragments of a disordered life and binding them between the pages of a book in all of their fragmentary disorder is itself a gambit against that disorder?" -- NBooth

This thread is not meeting my expectations for being filed under humor.

PTC:

: Not quite -- Phillip E. Johnson and the rest of the 'intelligent design'

: crowd are pretty careful to distinguish themselves from 'strict

: creationism'.

It shows to go what I know.

I will also state, for clarification purposes, that I did not actually attend the seminars at Cornerstone this year regarding homosexuality, although the program made those seminars' dogmatic focus quite clear, i.e. homosexual behavior ain't no good. (For the record, I agree, although I wasn't found of some of the program's verbage.)

Um, also, Cornerstone rocks, I had a wonderful time, it is the greatest arts festival in the whole world, if the farm were air-conditioned it would be nigh perfect, et alia.

Dale