Sign in to follow this  

Questions about recent discussions

I don't know everything that went down. I'm sure I wouldn't approve of much of it. But I, for one, am sorry to see you go. Thanks for all your work over the years.

I feel bad for feeding the thread that was then split off and led to all of these developments. As an A&F longtimer, I wish the board a long life and good health -- which probably amounts to a kiss of death, coming from me.

I don't know everything that went down. I'm sure I wouldn't approve of much of it. But I, for one, am sorry to see you go. Thanks for all your work over the years.

Even as a (former) moderator, I feel like there was a whole lot of business that transpired "behind the scenes". Which is to be expected, especially when you have strong personalities involved. I understand how it might come to this, but on the other hand, I don't, and that saddens me.

I've mentioned this before, but I've been involved in online communities that were downright toxic, and from my perspective, A&F was always an oasis of passionate, yet polite and gracious debate. Or at least that's how it always felt to me. Which isn't to say that there haven't been nastier patches over time, but even so...

It's saddens me that, at least to some extent, the oasis was something of a mirage, and that it's come to this.

If folks are looking for an off-A&F place to connect where they don't have to worry about threads and posts being deleted, I've created a Facebook group: The Arts and Faith Lifeboat. http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=75556191055

This is just a temporary spot where we can connect, assemble, and keep in touch until we sort things out here. Use it if you like. No hard feelings if you don't.

I won't delete anything unless there's a consensus that something should be deleted.

This is *not* the beginning of the new A&F. It's just a safety net for us to fall into, if indeed we fall. I'm sure someone will have a better idea, but I thought it was better to offer something until we come up with something better.

Edited by Overstreet

It's saddens me that, at least to some extent, the oasis was something of a mirage, and that it's come to this.

Not a mirage. I don't buy it. It might turn out to have been a short-lived Camelot -- or it might pull through once again -- but still and all it was and is founded on something real, not something illusory. Grace has been and is at work here. We can do better.

Been culpable in, no doubt. Championed, I hope not.

I have tried to speak (what I saw as) truth to (what I saw as capriciously wielded) power. I don't profess to have done so, or to have done anything else, perfectly.

I'm more than ready to own up to failures and errors, known and unknown, deliberate and indeliberate. I have tried to place my failures and limitations, along with all things, under the Mercy.

A while ago I had a fractious on-board relationship with a then-frequent poster that really bothered me (doesn't matter how you parse that). I PMed him, he PMed me, and we had a rather frank and prickly exchange that was not, I think, untouched by grace, on both sides. When I think of him now, I think of the grace at work in that exchange.

I relate this vague anecdote, not to polish my halo, but to hold out hope for the way forward.

but still and all it was and is founded on something real, not something illusory. Grace has been and is at work here. We can do better.

Yes, but to initiate true reconciliation, we need all of our cards on the table. It was clear from the vanished threads that Peter has had a lot to do with A's decision. I now feel a moderate amount of blame for just letting A field all the pms on Peter's involvement with the situations that have lead many in the past to move on from A&F to other activities. We should have been more forward as a community about what counts as acceptable posting behavior here.

This is very forward. But as SDG said, we can do better, and grace is a tough business.

I'm now way suspicious of anything that I type. Not even worried about my intent being misunderstood, more worried about not even being able to read my own motives.

I will say, however, with absolutely no snark, intended sniping, critiques whatsoever: I'm going down with this ship.

What a thread to come back to after months of no A&F! With no context to understand any of this, I am sad.

Sadness is an appropriate response to how we've hurt each other this week.

But I think that help is coming (one day late... one day late).

Stay tuned: There are promising developments happening behind the scenes. If you want to get involved, try praying. That would help. Seriously.

A. has put several years of hard work into this community, and his investment may result in an even more exciting future, if current inquiries pan out.

Be optimistic.

"If we were given the magic power to read each other's thoughts, I suppose the first effects would be to dissolve all friendships." - Bertrand Russell

I got an e-mail about the name of the A&F Facebook group being changed.

And...wow. I have no idea what happened. I won't ask either. I'm just sad.

What Jason said.

I don't visit very often any more but still subscribe to certain threads, and thus pop in occasionally. I might add two things:

First, I second the sentiment that "Continuing A&F is a better option than starting over, if for no other reason than A&F has a fantastic six-year archive of posts and discussions."

Second, which is likely in contrast to my first affirmation, does anyone else feel like the era of discussion boards on the internet is over?

I realize that there are a lot of emotions swirling around today and undoubtedly a fair share of personal back stories, which i'm completely oblivious of... but...

...if this board does decide to close shop, can someone please PM and tell me how to change that little description under my avatar? That title has been bugging the shite out of me for nearly five years and I never said anything. Let me at least change it the way i want it, for God's sake, and then you guys can shut the whole thing down. Gracias.

Whoa. As usual, I have no idea what's happened. I'm sorry! Does all this (whatever it is) explain the sudden appearance of spam in random forums? I'm even more grateful for all moderators than ever before.

If I can do anything to help rather than make things worse, someone please let me know.

Edited by BethR

Hi, Beth. You could pray about the board's future, and about the minds and hearts of everybody who was involved in this week's hubbub. Lots of bruises.

Again, there is progress, and a promising opportunity opening up. Don't anybody go anywhere... but it could be while before the specifics become public.

Edited by Overstreet

Just another echo that, although I have been following the discussion at a distance, I'm sad that it has escalated so quickly. I'm not going anywhere, but I will be patient. A&F has been a blessing in my life for a long time.

I also have benefitted greatly from this board, and have learned much about great films and music, so I hope to see it continue. But we are all humans, and it is unfortunate that these kinds of clashes and skirmishes happen. So I'll say a prayer that though I don't understand everything that has gone on; that whatever hurts have been caused can be healed, and we will get through this.

Edited by Crow

...Maybe I should contact Ted Baehr and see if he's interested?

:D Humor is good!

Keeping you & others in prayer.

Edited by Guest

I don't know what happened and I'm glad I don't.

In my corner of the board (read: music), I've experienced nothing but affirmation, love, and support. This board has become a valuable and important part of my life. I'd hate to see that change.

I'll be praying for those involved, not just for the future of the site, but it sounds like there are some seriously hurt feelings out there.

And thank you for running these boards all these years. It's been a great place.

And thank you moderators for keeping this place running smoothly.

And thank you mega-posters who continue to provoke me to deeper thinking and appreciation of art and faith.

Hi, Beth. You could pray about the board's future, and about the minds and hearts of everybody who was involved in this week's hubbub. Lots of bruises.

Again, there is progress, and a promising opportunity opening up. Don't anybody go anywhere... but it could be while before the specifics become public.

This is one of the things about the board that

I am not deciding the future of the board.

I just happen to *know* someone involved. He contacted me to ask a bunch of questions about how the future of the board might work, and I was happy to offer my help and suggestions. Call me a consultant if you wish. It was my telephone that rang; I wasn't the one dialing. They came to me.

I've taken sabbaticals, yes. But in recent weeks, I never said "I quit."

I thought it might be reassuring to folks to hear, from more than one person, that there were good things in the works. But as misinterpretation seems to be the rule these days, why should I have been so rash as to think so?

Edited by Overstreet

I don't know what happened and I'm glad I don't.

In my corner of the board (read: music), I've experienced nothing but affirmation, love, and support. This board has become a valuable and important part of my life. I'd hate to see that change.

I'll be praying for those involved, not just for the future of the site, but it sounds like there are some seriously hurt feelings out there.

And thank you for running these boards all these years. It's been a great place.

And thank you moderators for keeping this place running smoothly.

And thank you mega-posters who continue to provoke me to deeper thinking and appreciation of art and faith.

I'll echo everything Kyle wrote. I have no idea what happened, and I don't need to know. I do know that I appreciate this virtual oasis in the wilderness of the interwebs, and I appreciate the hard work and the eternal vigilance (superhero material there; Opus the Summer Blockbuster, anyone?) of the moderators.

I've been hemming and hawing over whether to post anything in this thread, but since MLeary mentioned me by name yesterday, I guess I might as well chime in and say that I, like so many others here, don't have a clue what went down here the last couple days -- and since certain threads have been "hidden" now, I guess I never will, and that's probably for the best. In any case, I was as surprised as anyone when I logged in yesterday morning and discovered that the board was in its current state.

MLeary says we need all of our cards on the table. I'm not so sure that we do, especially since the board is moving on to other things anyway -- and especially since it sounds like an abundance of cards may have led us to this point anyway.

Here's praying for a smooth transition. Peace and grace to all sides of that process.