BethR

Game of Thrones

338 posts in this topic

This article uses a descriptive term for female breasts that is likely to stir up controversy among the paper's readers. It's an interesting article with accusations that need to be addressed, but consider yourselves warned. Also, although I haven't watched this series, it looks to me as though the article includes SPOILERS about the season finale. So you've been warned about that, too.

McNamara brings up a very valid point, and one I agree with. Some of the nudity in HBO programs is just too much. She mentions a scene midway through Game of Thrones that's a perfect example, and one that many GoT fans also felt was just too much. Myles McNutt's term "sexposition" comes to mind here, and it's a term that is not really meant to be complimentary, I think. Hopefully the showrunners take note for future seasons.

Stannis and Melisandre have been cast. (Spoilers for what Stannis is doing in the second season?)

I must say I'm impressed yet again.

Stannis and Melisandre have been cast. (Spoilers for what Stannis is doing in the second season?)

I must say I'm impressed yet again.

Yeah, I think they got Stannis perfectly here.

At GRRM's blog, he's teasing out another casting announcement. If I get his riddle, it's a pretty minor role (Maester Cresson), but an important one nonetheless.

After several weeks worth of casting announcements, meet (most of) the new faces for season 2. As the author says in the intro, there's nothing TOO spoilery here, but if you want to avoid knowing ANYTHING about the characters, maybe avoid this?

That said, WHERE IS THE BLACKFISH?

Robert Pugh!

Oliver Ford Davies!

And best of all... Roy Dotrice, the man who has played *all* of these characters by reading the audiobooks! Brilliant!

Robert Pugh!

Oliver Ford Davies!

And best of all... Roy Dotrice, the man who has played *all* of these characters by reading the audiobooks! Brilliant!

The new additions are pretty excellent. I also love how a few of the folks cast look exactly like what I pictured the characters to look like, especially Michael McElhatton (who plays Roose Bolton) and Hannah Murray (who plays Gilly).

Just finished watching the first season. I thought it was really good - it's been ages since they've had a decent fantasy series on television. I'm surprised at how some of the major characters get killed off (I haven't read any of the books). I thought that some of the character's story lines felt a bit rushed (such as Robb Stark's ascension to the throne) but that's to be expected with juggling so many characters around. And then the youngest Stark boy came out of nowhere which felt odd.

I finished Season 1 a little while ago and have been trying to get through the book to see what they left out - which doesn't seem to be much at all. This might be the most faithful major adaptation of recent memory (except for the kids' ages, I suppose). I'm dying to just jump ahead and start A Clash of Kings but the completist in me won't allow it.

I finished Season 1 a little while ago and have been trying to get through the book to see what they left out - which doesn't seem to be much at all. This might be the most faithful major adaptation of recent memory (except for the kids' ages, I suppose). I'm dying to just jump ahead and start A Clash of Kings but the completist in me won't allow it.

How far are you into the book? It is one of the best adaptations I've seen, but they do leave a few things out that become later. (And, in a few cases, change one or two minor things that might have a ripple effect later on.)

I'm just about to hit Viserys', um, big moment. And it's those little details that snowball that I'm craving. I'll definitely stick with it to the end, but the temptation is always there...

This story makes me almost as happy as Margo Martindale's Best Supporting Actress win for Justified.

Oh lawd. This season is going to be damned hard to watch after reading all five books.

Oh lawd. This season is going to be damned hard to watch after reading all five books.

Because of Hot Pie, right?

I know there have already been posts about this, but now that you've seen the whole first season:

Do you recommend it?

Is there a ton of unnecessary sex?

I watched the first episode and wasn't enthralled (exposition, exposition, exposition), but I also know it's supposed to get better. And there was a lot to like - acting, set and costume design, etc.

I don't consider myself particularly sensitive, but I also don't want to 'waste' ten hours watching exposition broken up by sex scenes (and absolutely horrific discussion of letting your sister be violated by 50,000 warriors, etc.).

I don't consider myself particularly sensitive, but I also don't want to 'waste' ten hours watching exposition broken up by sex scenes (and absolutely horrific discussion of letting your sister be violated by 50,000 warriors, etc.).

Would it be wasting ten hours if the sex scenes and exposition scenes were combined into sexposition scenes? Because that happens.

Do I recommend the show? Tentatively, yes — but I'm a big fan of the book series. I might even steer some non-fans away.

Is there unnecessary sex? Absolutely.

Does it get better after the first episode? I think so, but I also don't mind the exposition as much as some.

Question for this season, featuring spoilers for A Sword of Storms, which I'm a bit over halfway finished:

Having just finished reading the Red Wedding chapters, I am mortified about how this will play on screen. The shock over Ned's fate experienced by those of us who were unfamiliar with the books at the time will be nothing in comparison. Given that I considered for about 10 seconds to just give up reading the rest of the series altogether (couldn't Martin grant one, tiny moment of solace to Catelyn?), I'm not sure how I'd react to it on a cold viewing. Just devastating.

Now, here's the question: since Jeyne has been moved up to this season and Robb's Riverrun arc could be condensed pretty easily, what are the chances that this season will end with this event?

Question for this season, featuring spoilers for A Sword of Storms, which I'm a bit over halfway finished:

Really interesting stuff. My guess, though, is that they don't do this.

I think they're going to milk Robb's character as much as they can. He's off screen for much of A Clash of Kings (right?), but I think they're going to actually show all of the battles, show him with the Westerlings, and all of the stuff that is just mentioned in passing. My guess is that the Red Wedding will actually be pushed back to the end of season 3 (with some of the, uh, concluding aspects) left as a coda or as a reveal in a later season). I'm being purposefully vague here.

Is anyone else watching/re-watching the first season now that it's out on DVD/blu-ray/online legally?

I'm about half way in and am really impressed/engrossed. As someone who's put the book down several times, I'll even say I'm surprised. It makes me want to put the time in and see if the book yields as rich results as the show.

It's sort of amazing how characters who, in the first episode, come off as one-dimensional villains (or heroes) have really been fleshed out - and so early in the series too.

A lot of the characters aren't who I thought they were when I first met them - and that's a good thing.

This show has so much to recommend it - incredible acting, production design, costume design, etc.

And there's depth to it too, which I may say a bit about later (when I'm not sick and tired).

My wife and I finally got to start watching it. Maybe it's because the books are so familiar to me, but I haven't found myself engrossed by the story as told by the series (yet). Rather, it's been more of an exercise in "Ah, so that's how they decided to do that" or "That was an interesting casting choice for that character" or "Hmm, I see how they changed that storyline to fit it into the TV series." I hope that doesn't sound like I'm nitpicking the series to death, though. If anything, I've been very impressed by exactly how they've shoehorned everything in so far. I thought the first episode did an excellent job of introducing so many characters and storylines all at once: I didn't feel like any of them were given short shrift.

Also, while I’ve been impressed by the casting choices, I think my favorite acting so far has been by Emilia Clarke as Daenerys Targaryen. She does a remarkable job of conveying the fear and anxiety of a young woman being placed in such a, um, revealing and frightening situation. Strangely, I didn't really feel much empathy for Daenerys until I saw her as portrayed by Clarke. The scenes in which Daenerys must consummate her marriage to Khal Drogo could’ve been cheap and exploitative. Thanks to Clarke, who radiates a palpable sense of fear and trepidation, those scenes ultimately become sympathetic, as you find yourself horrified at this young woman’s plight, and the innocence that is being stolen from her.

(Also, can I just say how weird and even quaint it feels to be watching something on Blu-ray? I'm so used to watching Netflix and Hulu on my Roku that getting up and swapping Blu-ray discs just seems… odd. I was actually tempted to re-purchase the series on Amazon On Demand, just for the streaming convenience. I know, I know... first world problems.)