Sign in to follow this  
Greg Wolfe

An Announcement about the Future of A&F

Dear Friends of ArtsandFaith.com:

I am very pleased to announce an agreement that will bring Arts&Faith under the wing of Image journal. Given the size and scope of the board as it has evolved, it seemed natural to give it the benefit of institutional backing (and staffing!).

Arts&Faith and Image are a natural fit. Image is currently celebrating its 20th anniversary as the world

I had hoped that Image was the behind the scenes rescue. Color me happy.

I'm sure there will be things to bitch about in the changeover, but I expect overall things will go well and the conversations will continue.

Thank you, Greg, for taking this on and being willing to usher us into a new chapter.

I hope our conversations here will grow to be a rewarding endeavor in Image's remarkable history and work.

If A&F must go somewhere, I really can't think of a better home for it. Thank you, Greg.

Dale

Michael:

Does this mean that I have to learn to love emoticons?

Cuz that's going to be pretty hard for me to do.

<_<

Greg

Yay!

=D>

::cheers::

::headbang::

::cheer::

::59::

::thumbsupup::

:elephant:

Does this mean that I have to learn to love emoticons?

Cuz that's going to be pretty hard for me to do.

Don't fret. There's a militant anti-emoticon contingent here as well, of which I am very proud to be a part. In fact, uh, now that you're in charge, if you wouldn't mind just going in the board settings and turning all the emoticons off...

Dale, who hates when this board turns his "B" followed by an end parenthetical into a face with sunglasses

Edited by M. Dale Prins

I will never forget this: It took less than an hour from the point of Greg's announcement to the point where Dale asked him to shut off emoticons.

This strikes me as just the right beginning of the relationship.

This is excellent news, Greg. A&F has a very long, rich history that goes back through two previous incarnations and massive amounts of provocative discussion. Many excellent writers have been born in conversation here. This next iteration is a thrilling evolution, and I hope we will encounter many new voices as these changes begin to happen.

I also hope that the board may become a place where many more people come into contact with all the interesting things Image offers.

Otherwise, glad to be back to the Eagle and Child business.

Edited by MLeary

There were a couple of moments in the last day that I was seriously worried that years of what we've built here would be trampled and left in the dirt. Things looked brutal.

I'm elated that things will continue. It's a pretty big reminder about who is ultimately in control.

Sincere thanks to Greg and to Alan.

i'm afraid i don't exactly know what this all means...

does this mean the a+f forums will remain separate? or will the a+f forums get absorbed into the image forums? will i be able to choose "techne" rather than "etechne" for both? will this reinvigorate the conversations at image's forums?

curious, this is.

A million thanks as always Greg. The day one of my best friends introduced me to Image literally changed my life. I've been blessed beyond description by the journal, the conferences, the Glen, and lately the blog, and look forward to what will transpire here. Now, exactly where and how do you get your energy?

Thanks also to Alan for starting this (I believe that's correct?) and maintaining this for so long. I haven't been here for long, but get a lot from the good discussion. I do wish Alan's 11,000 posts were still around. It's weird to have a recorded converstation with holes in it now, but then again the internet is a strange place. I never really knew Alan, and am absolutely clueless as to what happened, but feel I've lost a friend.

Thank you, Greg. I have always respected Image Journal since I discovered it, and am looking forward to the future of our combined endeavors.

Edited by Crow

Just a short post, but many deep felt thanks to both Greg and Alan for working this out.

I'm excited as well for the Image connection. I'm very hopeful for our future here as we merge and begin to transform into something new.

Good deal, Greg. I'm also a big Image fan, and am excited to see what happens!

Now, if we can keep the giant robot emoticon, I'll be even happier.

(e)techne:

The boards will be merged in due course. Stay tuned.

Yours,

Greg

i'm afraid i don't exactly know what this all means...

does this mean the a+f forums will remain separate? or will the a+f forums get absorbed into the image forums? will i be able to choose "techne" rather than "etechne" for both? will this reinvigorate the conversations at image's forums?

curious, this is.

Great news, gentlemen.

I want all of you to know that I am wide open to your suggestions for ways to preserve and strengthen the dialogue that takes place on ArtsandFaith.com. I am profoundly grateful for the years of effort and attention that you have devoted to this place and look forward to the conversation continuing for many years to come.

Greg, welcome aboard. Thanks for that last bit I've quoted above. I'm sure in talking with Alan, Jeffrey, and others, you've got some perspectives on what some of the challenges have been. I am looking forward to the conversations that have stretched my own understanding of film and art.

As you're asking for input, I'll make a bid for keeping (in some form) the non-arts fora, since its in those places that a lot of the relationships continue to develop beyond the debates on merits of various films, music, literature, and other arts.

But most critical of all is a need for transparency. Not total exposure of every background operation and conversation, but clear and distinct communication on conduct expectations, decision processes, and vision. With Image's good rep, you already have a wealth of relationship capital--open and frank dialogue on the board's direction will only reward that capital.

Thanks

Ed

Edited by Buckeye Jones

not knowing the background for all this change (what a difference a fortnight makes! yikes!), all i can say is that i'm glad a+f will be moving forward in some form. i personally have had some really great discussion, input and suggestions with and from a+f participants and am relieved that all will not be lost to the wayback machine...thanks for taking this on greg. blessings,

edward

The boards will be merged in due course. Stay tuned.

Hey, this is exciting.

Will my post count start from scratch?

This is a happy thread, and I don

Sign in to follow this