Sign in to follow this  
Pulp

What Decides The Nationality Of A Film?

Hello,

My concern regards the following: I currently reside in Canada, but I'm not a Canadian citizen. I have a short film in the works and I wonder of what nationality this film will be. I work as a producer/writer/director/editor on the film, as well as one of the casting directors, graphic designers, production managers and camera assistants. The rest of the positions are mainly occupied by Canadian citizens (DoP, Sound, Makeup...).

If I am to register a production company, would its nationality decide the nationality of my film?

I inquired about this quite a lot, but it's always a challenging answer. If anyone can help me out, it would be great.

Thank you,

I've always had questions about this too - in relation to what makes a foreign film foreign. Like the Professional - French director - set in america - french main character - spoken in english.

Pulp wrote:

: If I am to register a production company, would its nationality decide the

: nationality of my film?

I believe so, yes.

Alan wrote:

: . . . the Lord of the Rings movies . . . So they're American. Go figure.

Actually, as the IMDB indicates, I believe the Lord of the Rings films were American-New Zealand co-productions, because they were produced by production companies based in both countries. So they were not purely "American".

FWIW, the IMDB also lists The Professional as a French-American co-production.

This is partly why films like [The Triplets of Belleville (a French cartoon) and Regeneration (a British WWI film) count as "Canadian" films -- because they were produced partly by Canadian production companies.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

Well, in my experience if you abbreviate the Director of Photography position as "DOP," then it must be a Canadian film but if you say "DP," than it's definately an American film. wink.gif

Thank you all, I found some info saying that (by Canadian film board) 6 out of 10 major players in a production have to be Canadian in order for the film to be considered Canadian. Do any of you have more info on that? Or some other source? Any help would be great.

Later