Sign in to follow this  
LibrarianDeb

NYC

I'm just starting my research for things I'd like to do while I'm in NYC with the husband. Are there any plays, music, museum exhibits, readings etc I *need* to see while I'm there?

I'm just starting my research for things I'd like to do while I'm in NYC with the husband. Are there any plays, music, museum exhibits, readings etc I *need* to see while I'm there?
As a long-time NYC resident, I would recommend doing a little bit of both tourist traps, and a little bit of hidden treasures.

The tourist traps are easy. No need for me to reiterate them. I think there's a special coupon, btw, which hits five of the big major ones, including Empire State Building and the Circle Line (which I highly recommend if the day's sunny).

The hidden treasures? Go to a Jazz Club. Go to "Rachel Ray's Tasty Travels" and pick out a few quality restaurants and stores (I've gone to "The Dip" in Murray Hill). Pick up a Time Out NYC (they may have a copy at your Border's/B&N) to get a feel for the restaurant and museum scene.

I would recommend also doing a tourist walk, like through Greenwich Village. Good exercise, and a very intimate way to know the sights and sounds of everything there.

One of our joys a few years ago was a walk across the Brooklyn Bridge, visit to Jacques Torres Chocolate (the hot chocolate with chilis is wonderful), then took the el to the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens.

As a long-time NYC resident, I would recommend doing a little bit of both tourist traps, and a little bit of hidden treasures.

The tourist traps are easy. No need for me to reiterate them. I think there's a special coupon, btw, which hits five of the big major ones, including Empire State Building and the Circle Line (which I highly recommend if the day's sunny).

The hidden treasures? Go to a Jazz Club. Go to "Rachel Ray's Tasty Travels" and pick out a few quality restaurants and stores (I've gone to "The Dip" in Murray Hill). Pick up a Time Out NYC (they may have a copy at your Border's/B&N) to get a feel for the restaurant and museum scene.

I would recommend also doing a tourist walk, like through Greenwich Village. Good exercise, and a very intimate way to know the sights and sounds of everything there.

Thanks for the tips but I've done most of the major touristy things I ever want to do. This is at least my 4th trip to the Big Apple and my husband was raised in the Bronx and spent plenty of time in Manhattan (especially used-CD stores).

I'm looking more for the must-see, art exhibits, music shows that are happening those few days. For example is Sufjan playing in town or is there a play that I must see that week?

If it's possible to get tickets, did you know that Nathan Lane and Bill Irwin are doing Waiting for Godot on Broadway? Terry Teachout seems to think it is a Godot for the ages.

Not just Nathan Lane and Bill Irwin, but John Goodman!!!

I also recommend "God of Carnage," if you're into people yelling at each other sublimely. "reasons to be pretty" is good. Also, I hear rave reviews and excellent things about the production of "Our Town" at the Barrow Street Theater, in the West Village.

The rooftop installation is up at the Met right now - this year, it's Roxy Paine.

Gosh, there's so much right now that it's hard to even narrow it down. Sufjan never plays anymore, but you should definitely check out the calendar at Brooklyn Academy of Music (bam.org) - everything there is great, it's easy to get to from pretty much anywhere, and they have a ton of things going on at all times.

When will you be here? I don't see dates in the post but I may have missed it!

Oops, sorry, I see the dates now. Here's a few things:

- If it's not sold out yet, the Philharmonic is playing Britten's War Requiem on the evening of the 13th at Avery Fisher. This is one of the last Maazel farewell concerts so they've been selling out but it will be worth seeing (we have had tickets for about a year now).

- That weekend there's a great-sounding arts expo thing called FIGMENT on Governor's Island.

- On Monday night, they're showing "The Sting" at the Bryant Park film series. The movie starts around sundown, but you have to get there by 5pm if you want a place on the lawn - however, you can bring food and a bottle of wine and just hang out and enjoy!

- The Dave Brubeck quartet is playing at the 92nd Street Y on the 15th - not to be missed!!

Annnnnd, if you want to extend your stay one day early ;), Josh Ritter is playing a free concert at Summerstage in Central Park, and the cast of Battlestar Galactica will be at the 92nd Street Y.

A couple friends have started a faith-oriented theatre company in NYC, firebone theatre. This weekend they're opening A MYSTERIOUS WAY, an original two-hander that plays in subway stations. I also happen to know one of the actors in the piece, Chris Domig, and he's exceptionally fine. Runs through June 21. 40 minute playing time, then they invite the audience to join them at a local bar. If you check it out, DEFINITELY introduce yourself after and mention that I told you to see the show: they'd be thrilled, and I'd get major cred.

I'm also intrigued by EVERYDAY RAPTURE, a one-woman show running Off-Broadway with a nice write-up in The New Yorker. Basically, Mennonite girl goes to Broadway. (I say "one-woman" show: actually, she's got backup singers, The Mennonettes. Doesn't it sound delicious?).

On Broadway, I found AUGUST: OSAGE COUNTY absolutely phenomenal.